Step Up Mentawai

LarryTate

Nep status
May 7, 2012
Can we just pick a name already?

I say we just go with whatever it was called first.
I'd agree, but figured some wouldn't know the original name. Not sure why it changed. I prefer Dr. Lance.

Reactions: jkb

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
After my #27 on page 2 of this thread I went to the Philippines early October and a week later the typhoon swell arrived and it pumped for over a week on a long left hand reef right out the front that handled the swell. I was happy I had my Lost 7'2" crowd killer with me...not so much for the crowd because when it was 6' plus there was no crowd to be seen but for the paddle power to pick off the set waves. Others commented out in the water (and on land) they wished they had my board.
Though I kinda wished I had an excuse while paddling out on the biggest day. Heading out through the end of the reef there were 6' waves breaking from across the nearby river mouth where normally there was calm water.
Sitting there waiting for the sets to come through...suddenly you're next in line...the next big one to come through is yours...gulp!

Last edited:

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
After my #27 on page 2 of this thread I went to the Philippines early October and a week later the typhoon swell arrived and it pumped for over a week on a long left hand reef right out the front that handled the swell. I was happy I had my Lost 7'2" crowd killer with me...not so much for the crowd because when it was 6' plus there was no crowd to be seen but for the paddle power to pick off the set waves. Others commented out in the water (and on land) they wished they had my board.
Though I kinda wished I had an excuse while paddling out on the biggest day. Heading out through the end of the reef there were 6' waves breaking from across the nearby river mouth where normally there was calm water.
Sitting there waiting for the sets to come through...suddenly you're next in line...the next big one to come through is yours...gulp!
Retropete: glad u scored in PI!
Been eying a trip there someday as well.
Your crowd killer is a libtech correct?
I've actually never seen one in the flesh, let alone do the under the arm test. Just don't come across many in my neck of the woods.
Supposedly way more ding resistant and a therefore a great and interesting travel board option in that shape/length for the aging surfer , but how does it feel surfing compared to PU? are they super light??? I don't particularly like that super light deal in better waves, especially with bump and or current..
Thanks!)

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Retropete: glad u scored in PI!
Been eying a trip there someday as well.
Your crowd killer is a libtech correct?
I've actually never seen one in the flesh, let alone do the under the arm test. Just don't come across many in my neck of the woods.
Supposedly way more ding resistant and a therefore a great and interesting travel board option in that shape/length for the aging surfer , but how does it feel surfing compared to PU? are they super light??? I don't particularly like that super light deal in better waves, especially with bump and or current..
Thanks!)
Yes it's a Lib tech. It's the same weight as a PU. Feels like a PU to surf. No problem with chop at all. Came through all the flights and handling with zero problems. Went great in the solid stuff. In PI the ding repairs are very cheap but their work can be patchy.

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
Yes it's a Lib tech. It's the same weight as a PU. Feels like a PU to surf. No problem with chop at all. Came through all the flights and handling with zero problems. Went great in the solid stuff. In PI the ding repairs are very cheap but their work can be patchy.
Thanks, good to know re: weight/feel!

Reactions: Retropete
Oct 19, 2022
heading to Kandui next week, not planning to bring anything over 6'0 (unless something real pops up on the forecast). I've never been but figure in November I probably won't see much my 6'0 Shadow can't handle - I've surfed decent Haleiwa/OTW/Rockys on it. I'd rather play around with my 4 shortboards of varying fins, tails, construction, channels - it's hard for me to pick only 3. Let me know if I'm being an idiot and I'll go the safe than sorry route and toss in my 6'3 Blackbird

• Love
Reactions: JeffRSpicoli

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
is ur crowd killer the round tail one?