Step Up Mentawai

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
When in doubt always reach out to the er'bb.

Pulled the trigger, Kandui next year, quiver is great except that real step up for that 'one' wave.
- I mean I have boards that I think would handle all of it, but yes I am sitting here on my keyboard and the feedback from the Kandui guys is get something 'extra.'

Can't define it, maybe the waves I've surfed over the decades, but can't say I am pin tail guy, something with the design does not feel natural to me, but for this trip of course I'm getting a pin tail board.

Had the Ghost, did not like it, sorry John I know you are on here, it's definitely me not you. Felt like the board surfed me vs. me surfing the board.

I'm gravitating to the Slayer II (6'4" 36L) , but welcome thoughts, and prayers.

As a Rusty regular if I go off of the reservation I'm currently leaning towards the CI Happy Traveler or Stretch Semi Gun.

Now off to surf the antithesis of the waves I am talking about....

Cheers

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Happy Traveler or the Slayer won't let you down. Don't go too big, as you'll paddle better and not need that extra foam in those conditions. Go PUPE, for sure. Get the same shaper as your normal board (important edit: if you can) so they don't feel too different. As many have said before, and as I've had to learn through trial and error and error and error, KEEP IT SIMPLE.

PS: Those Rusty Slayer's are beautiful looking boards, and the description of that and the Slayer 2 sounds perfect as it needn't be too long.

Last edited:

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
its going to be the usual suspects that will be suggested to you here. I have a Rusty Blackbird that goes insane over there. I like my step ups to cover ground and be able to get in early, so mine is a 6’10”/39l. I’m 6’1“/185. These will be the best waves of your life. When you are going 1000 mph down the line you won‘t even notice a few extra inches IMO. Make the wave is #1 priority.
Stoked for you. Congrats! Yew!

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
its going to be the usual suspects that will be suggested to you here. I have a Rusty Blackbird that goes insane over there. I like my step ups to cover ground and be able to get in early, so mine is a 6’10”/39l. I’m 6’1“/185. These will be the best waves of your life. When you are going 1000 mph down the line you won‘t even notice a few extra inches IMO. Make the wave is #1 priority.
Stoked for you. Congrats! Yew!
Thanks man! Totally psyched, need to keep reminding myself it's a year off, I'm all ready to start packing now.

Finally convinced the boys to deviate from our Central America trips and let's "get some." One of the guys has a Blackbird I just let him know your feedback, he'll be stoked. I think sb3 and I are thinking the same on 'don't go too long' I'm only 5'7" and about 150lbs, so feeling like a 6'4" 36ish L Slayer II would do it.

"These will be the best waves of your life". :shaka::love:

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Rode 7' Nev at Rifles, Nokan, bank vaults. I'm not a professional surfer and I was relatively old.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
If you're a Rusty guy I would at least consider the New Traveler. It would be my pick if I was going to Indo as someone who loves the Blackbird but feels like it sometimes feels like it needs a touch more curve for square tubes. I'm a tall guy though and I appreciate some extra rail line. I think the Slayer is a solid choice as well especially if you're not wanting to go too long.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Another oldie here, with quite a bit of Indo experience.

Was happily overgunned on my 6'10 Desert Storm, but loved it. Would probably bring a ~6'6 with decent volume (36-38L), and I think the Slayer II looks great. I'm 6'1 x 180 x 59yo.

Btw, swallow tails go bloody good in Indo, especially where you have a bit of room to move.

And enjoy the anticipation :)

Last edited: