Statins

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Actually got some better news from most recent test, Cholesterol is down to 238 through diet alone. It just sucks that everything I like to eat is full on Cholesterol and even worse sugar
Cholesterol is more genetic than dietary. You could lower your number with diet but 10% would be getting close to the limit. If your cholesterol changed that much it could have been a testing anomaly, which is probably why your doctor tested again in a matter of days.

Statins are safe and extremely effective...and if you find one that gives you side effects you can try a different one. I tend to lean towards keeping a reasonable cholesterol number. There's no downside to it. This way I don't have to decide who is right.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

also, if anyone is on SSRI and has high cholesterol, go off the antidepressant (if you can) and see what happens. Have a family member whose numbers rose and fell dramatically when on/off zoloft.
"Where is the disease that produces higher blood pressure? We don't have a clue!"

"Pressure on the proximal aorta... endothethelial ( blood vessel) dysfunction..." That hits home for me with my myocardial bridge- the elasticity of my left anterior descending artery during the diastolic phase of the heaert beat is the key to my survival

My take away is I'm going to ask for apoB test. I don't think I've ever had one or at least it was never mentioned as a metric. When I had the angiogram that diagnosed the bridge the cardiologist told me I had no significant plaque build up. Maybe that's why no apoB test was ever administered?

Second, and this is only peripherally related to the topic of the video- BREATHE THROUGH THE NOSE. Breathing through the nose releases nitric oxide and nitric oxide helps endothelial function. I've started doing this during my runs, hoping it helps.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
"Where is the disease that produces higher blood pressure? We don't have a clue!"

"Pressure on the proximal aorta... endothethelial ( blood vessel) dysfunction..." That hits home for me with my myocardial bridge- the elasticity of my left anterior descending artery during the diastolic phase of the heaert beat is the key to my survival

My take away is I'm going to ask for apoB test. I don't think I've ever had that or at least it was never mentioned as a metric. When I had the angiogram that diagnosed the bridge the cardiologist told me I had no significant oplaque build up. Maybe that is why no apoB test was ever administered?

Second, and this is only peripherally related to the topic of the video- BREATHE THROUGH THE NOSE. Breathing through the nose releases nitric oxide and nitric oxide helps endothelial function. I'ver started doing this during my runs, hoping it helps.

ApoB tests are easily available but not standard, so just ask your doc. I just had one at Labcorp.

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas

My take away is I'm going to ask for apoB test. I don't think I've ever had one or at least it was never mentioned as a metric. When I had the angiogram that diagnosed the bridge the cardiologist told me I had no significant plaque build up. Maybe that's why no apoB test was ever administered?

Second, and this is only peripherally related to the topic of the video- BREATHE THROUGH THE NOSE. Breathing through the nose releases nitric oxide and nitric oxide helps endothelial function. I've started doing this during my runs, hoping it helps.

I had blood pressure of about 140/90 on average. Started taking Nitric Oxide supplements about 9 months ago and now I am running at 120/80... I had read the research, figured it couldn't hurt to try it, and bam, it sure seems to have helped my personal situation!

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
I'll keep this simple. A cholesterol of 303 is an invitation to a coronary event. I would blast the statins at high dose for a couple of months, do some improvements on your cardiac conditioning, significantly change your diet to severly limit anything animal derived, and highly consider a gated coronary CT scan for plaques.

If your cholesterol drops in 3 months great. If not you need to see an endocrinologist and a nutritionist.

Reactions: oeste858 and mundus

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
@mundus How is it going taking the statins?

related thread

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
@mundus How is it going taking the statins?

related thread
No problems.