sprained ankle healing tips and surfing

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
was hit from behind by a police truck trying to pass me on my scooter

flew off bike cuts and bruises swollen ankle and so lucky had a helmet

been doing RICE and ankle is swollen and bruised but not painful -been 3 days do i switch to heat? massage ankle? tape it to surf?

great swell coming in 3 days and am desperate to heal thanks

1D19394F-7C61-43E8-9D51-7D8425C401DC.jpeg
85B9046B-E558-45A1-A13D-862CC1235C67.jpeg

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Duct tape to surf. Get in your barrel stance and tape the ankle in that position.

Try to move it around as much as you can with a minimum of pain.you don’t want it to freeze up.

If too much pain to move you may have to immobilize it for a couple days then get to work on movement.

Keep it above your heart as much as possible.

Reactions: racer1

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
thanks for tips Duffy
can move it full motion w little pain and can stand on one leg on it

just the swelling and bruising looks bad

is that normal to look worse than it is?

never sprained ankle

thanks

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
hopefully your sprain is minor, i had one that took almost as long as my torn ACL to get back to normal, of course normal for you right now is stick the bottom turn and get spit out so go get em!

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I sprained my right ankle to a 90 degree angle playing soccer at age 15. I probably average a re-sprain every 18 months.

I’ve found that the sooner I get back to walking on it, the sooner it heals. Within reason of course, and I ice and elevate when not moving. try to regain range of motion ASAP by moving it around when you are sitting. Try to find some exercise bands or bungees and do some basic ankle exercises, along with body weight calf raises.

Reactions: paunch23

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
that don't look good, lucky you're alright could have been much worse. heal up and you'll be back in the water in no time, you can try and surf on it but see how it's feeling walking around. i've surfed through an MCL injury before and probably wasn't a smart thing to do. probably best not to rush back into it, at your advanced age recovery isn't quite what it used to be. already experiencing this in my early 30s. :poop:

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
that don't look good, lucky you're alright could have been much worse. heal up and you'll be back in the water in no time, you can try and surf on it but see how it's feeling walking around. i've surfed through an MCL injury before and probably wasn't a smart thing to do. probably best not to rush back into it, at your advanced age recovery isn't quite what it used to be. already experiencing this in my early 30s. :poop:

my advanced age?? hahah

my body constantly reminds me i am approaching 50 not 30 (n)

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
thanks for tips Duffy

never sprained ankle

thanks
I’ve sprained mine a lot. The amount of swelling is really variable. Broke it about 6 months ago and the swelling looked like yours (but I could not put weight on it for a couple weeks).

Your swelling looks pretty significant but some of that may be due to the hot and humid climate where you are.

If you have a compression sleeve or something to wrap it with while you’re walking around or chilling out that will help with the swelling. Keep in mind that sh!t rolls down hill so keep it elevated as much as possible.

If you can stand on it you can surf on it.

Duct tape for surfing.

Reactions: mundus

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I sprained my right ankle to a 90 degree angle playing soccer at age 15. I probably average a re-sprain every 18 months.

I’ve found that the sooner I get back to walking on it, the sooner it heals. Within reason of course, and I ice and elevate when not moving. try to regain range of motion ASAP by moving it around when you are sitting. Try to find some exercise bands or bungees and do some basic ankle exercises, along with body weight calf raises.
Yeah, buddy of mine broke his ankle about 20 years ago and they put it in a cast for 6 weeks. Big mistake.

20 years later and still not at full range of motion.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Can you get epsom salt ?

Hot water epsom salt soak works wonders , I usually start this on day 3 of an ankle sprain.
first few days ice and rest and the usual.

Also hate to say it, but try not to drink too much.

Search the slap forum skaters are the oracle on this sh!t.

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Keep it elevated and iced but that bruising looks broken to my eye and would go in for xray just in case. Advanced treatment these days little cast and more walking then in '87 when I broke mine. I had to learn to walk again and then sponge until I could surf again.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
When I wrecked my ankle back in college, acupuncture was my #1 for relief. We also had this compression pulsing ice chiller thing we called the “game day boot”. Amazing.

Every injury is personal and only you will know how hard to push. find someone you trust, devise a plan and stick to it.

Some ankle injuries seem worse than they are. Others don’t seem to get better and you need to plan for the long haul.

Reactions: Senor Sopa

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
thanks for tips Duffy

never sprained ankle

thanks
I have bad ankles and sprain them all the time. It is 100% normal to look worse than it is

I did this one a couple years ago on the mats, it looked this bad to keep me out of the water for two weeks. I got snipered hiking last week and even though it swelled a little I could move full motion and stand on one leg on it and was basically good to go doing anyting in two days. You'll be fine to surf, just tape it or get a soft brace or somehting

J-jrj-CGSCerKKnBuO4rGQ.jpg