So what's good to get if you're a longboarder who wants to do shorter boards sometimes?

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
I'll check those out. I ride custom longboards. Those ain't cheap. A short(er) "expensive" board doesn't phase me LOL

PS: I'm not a PA "bro"
who makes ur customs? performance modrrn retro

do you surf a pig

a stewart?

ps therevis only one pa and shsll remsin nameless

Sep 26, 2022
who makes ur customs? performance modrrn retro

do you surf a pig

a stewart?

ps therevis only one pa and shsll remsin nameless
First ones from Vernor. Now Travis Reynolds. Got a Snake Charmer on the way. All-around log.
I like the look of those pig shapes, but I haven't tried one yet.
I see Stewarts all over the place here. Not really feeling it LOL

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Yeah, I'm gonna get his "longboard alternative" (the McVee) sometime soon. Not sure about his shorter stuff. Vaquero could be good, I suppose.
Have a 6'8" Vaquero, and though I wish it were an 7 or 8, due to extra foam making a passive boar easier to paddle, I can say that as a wrongboarder, I back the shape 100% as a transition to hulls.

:waving::shaka:

Reactions: bluengreen
Sep 26, 2022
Have a 6'8" Vaquero, and though I wish it were an 7 or 8, due to extra foam making a passive boar easier to paddle, I can say that as a wrongboarder, I back the shape 100% as a transition to hulls.

:waving::shaka:
Oh cool. It's more like a "faux hull" right? Not as much sticking out below? Where do you surf it? Would you describe it as and "all around" type board? I've seen people riding these around my spot, but I haven't asked anyone how they like 'em.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
First ones from Vernor. Now Travis Reynolds. Got a Snake Charmer on the way. All-around log.
I like the look of those pig shapes, but I haven't tried one yet.
I see Stewarts all over the place here. Not really feeling it LOL
If you have time for a custom: get one of Travis' widowmakers. He claims it's his most versatile board. You could size it to be a good transition from the longboard.

Nick Kron

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
The Orange Curtain
Background:

Been "logging" for the last few years.
Sometimes the waves are steeper, bigger, and/or breaking closer to shore in shallow water, so a log feels kinda sketchy.
Sometimes I'm just in the mood for something different.
I like the idea of doing more turn-y stuff and being able to go "up and down" instead of walking along the board. Also duck diving.
I had an 8' mid length before, but I got rid of it. It just felt like crappier longboard to me, and I had no difficulty transitioning to it.
I surf around the SF Bay Area if it matters.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
7'6" Fun Board
:cheers: GDT :cheers:

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Background:

Been "logging" for the last few years.
Sometimes the waves are steeper, bigger, and/or breaking closer to shore in shallow water, so a log feels kinda sketchy.
Sometimes I'm just in the mood for something different.
I like the idea of doing more turn-y stuff and being able to go "up and down" instead of walking along the board. Also duck diving.
I had an 8' mid length before, but I got rid of it. It just felt like crappier longboard to me, and I had no difficulty transitioning to it.
I surf around the SF Bay Area if it matters.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Get a Griffin

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Oh cool. It's more like a "faux hull" right? Not as much sticking out below? Where do you surf it? Would you describe it as and "all around" type board? I've seen people riding these around my spot, but I haven't asked anyone how they like 'em.
It's a forgiving Hull. Works as a DD in under HH surf any place. Doesn't like too much push, it gets overwhelmed in heavier conditions. Great glide and you can turn or hit the lip.

ps if you want to surf a little more aggressive a Bonzer Mini or Egg is it.

rossky

OTF status
Apr 4, 2006
I guess you figured out that you just can't come in here and ask for something without first making some kind of offering!

I'd recommend buying something used in the 6'4" range with plenty of volume , like 40+ Liters, 21" wide and 2.75 thick. Lots of bigger used Lost RNF's out there from people that went too large or outgrew them. When I wasn't sure about what kind of boards I wanted, I bought a few cheap used ones and ended up loving them and keeping them in the quiver for years. Others, I tried them, realized they weren't for me and sold them for what I bought them for. Going used is a great way to try out a sh!t ton of boards without breaking the bank and figuring out what you want.

• Haha
Reactions: Subway
Sep 26, 2022
I guess you figured out that you just can't come in here and ask for something without first making some kind of offering!

I'd recommend buying something used in the 6'4" range with plenty of volume , like 40+ Liters, 21" wide and 2.75 thick. Lots of bigger used Lost RNF's out there from people that went too large or outgrew them. When I wasn't sure about what kind of boards I wanted, I bought a few cheap used ones and ended up loving them and keeping them in the quiver for years. Others, I tried them, realized they weren't for me and sold them for what I bought them for. Going used is a great way to try out a sh!t ton of boards without breaking the bank and figuring out what you want.
Yeah, I've been cruising Craigslist for weeks. Anything good is already sold by the time I see it. Maybe I'll get lucky soon. People seem to overprice their stuff too. For only a little more I could just by it new much of the time.