So what's good to get if you're a longboarder who wants to do shorter boards sometimes?

Sep 26, 2022
Background:

Been "logging" for the last few years.
Sometimes the waves are steeper, bigger, and/or breaking closer to shore in shallow water, so a log feels kinda sketchy.
Sometimes I'm just in the mood for something different.
I like the idea of doing more turn-y stuff and being able to go "up and down" instead of walking along the board. Also duck diving.
I had an 8' mid length before, but I got rid of it. It just felt like crappier longboard to me, and I had no difficulty transitioning to it.
I surf around the SF Bay Area if it matters.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: Havoc and PRCD

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
biggest thing (based on my experience) is that you'll have to get used to taking off later and quicker than you're used to. I think chosing something with less rocker is better for this but you'll sacrifice the vertical ability of the board. I was just talking about this the other day with a guy that was riding his smaller board and he usually rides a proper longboard.

Reactions: oeste858
Sep 26, 2022
biggest thing (based on my experience) is that you'll have to get used to taking off later and quicker than you're used to. I think chosing something with less rocker is better for this but you'll sacrifice the vertical ability of the board. I was just talking about this the other day with a guy that was riding his smaller board and he usually rides a proper longboard.
Makes sense. My main spot is kinda junky a lot too. I'm guessing a rocker on the flatter end of the spectrum might help here as well.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Wow, tough crowd LOL Seemed like a shortboard-type forum, so I thought I'd ask. I won't bother you guys anymore.
Mistake #1 (by you) - no one here actually surfs.
Mistake #2 (by us) - we already went thru the titty request process with this Bolivian ram character in the design forum when he wanted to know about wetsuits that would fit over his big melon.
btw, is bolivian ram a sex move or something? Like a Russian trombone but with a different swirl since it’s south of the equator?

Sep 26, 2022
Mistake #1 (by you) - no one here actually surfs.
Mistake #2 (by us) - we already went thru the titty request process with this Bolivian ram character in the design forum when he wanted to know about wetsuits that would fit over his big melon.
btw, is bolivian ram a sex move or something? Like a Russian trombone but with a different swirl since it’s south of the equator?
LOL no. It's a fish. One of my other hobbies is fish keeping.