So I bought a PU board...

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I've been on the alternative build train for awhile now and can't remember the last time I had a PU foam / PU resin board. Might have been 3 or 4 years ago? Ordered this little 5'5 x 20" x 2 1/2" x 31 liters rocket (it's the Rocket rocker) from a local glasser who shapes on the side. $360 clear thruster. Chronic Surfboards. He glasses for a lot of known shapers.

I forgot how buttery PU feels.
I might sell all my alt builds and go full PU.
I don't care about durability.
Dinosuar blood feels too good.

Attachments

Last edited:

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Nice board.

I bought an XTR Ghost recently because I wanted a Ghost and it's the same price as PU. But, I just can't get over the feel of PU. My fish and small wave board are PU and there is no comparison. They feel so much better to me.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I forgot how buttery PU feels. I might sell all my alt builds and go full PU. I don't care about durability.

Oh My ! ;-)

Made in Hawaii too for only 360 .00

Undercutting all those shapers who bring work to this glasser - only in Hawaii does this exist .
Crazy isn't it? They charge nearly 2x as much.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
For that price hell yeah

That's why I only buy lightly used or sale PU tho. Unless it's mystery glassing. They glass with what seems to be donut glaze

Reactions: JDJ

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Yeah. Same about a year ago. Still in the process of dumping my eps and xtr boards. Might hang on to my stretch quadfish that has sentimental value. Poly for life. I got into eps after a long break from surfing so really couldn’t make the connection. Hopped on a poly board and was like oh fuck!!!

Reactions: racer1

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I've been on the alternative build train for awhile now and can't remember the last time I had a PU foam / PU resin board. Might have been 3 or 4 years ago? Ordered this little 5'5 x 20" x 2 1/2" x 31 liters rocket (it's the Rocket rocker) from a local glasser who shapes on the side. $360 clear thruster. Chronic Surfboards. He glasses for a lot of known shapers.

I forgot how buttery PU feels.
I might sell all my alt builds and go full PU.
I don't care about durability.
Dinosuar blood feels too good.
re: durability we're all junkies who are constantly turning over boards to try new ones anyways ... that being said, a well glassed PU is plenty durable IMO

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
For that price hell yeah

That's why I only buy lightly used or sale PU tho. Unless it's mystery glassing. They glass with what seems to be donut glaze
Ha. I have a CI Fever Flexbar Epoxy that was done at mystery glassing. The glass job is a joke. Thankfully I got the board for $350 off retail.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
that being said, a well glassed PU is plenty durable IMO
This.

Transport in a bag that blocks light.
Don't let it bake in the car.
Don't leave it cooking out in the sun.
Store in a closet or bag that blocks light.

A lot of people have a lot of difficulty with this for whatever reason.

Reactions: racer1

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
The only alt constuction that appeals to me is the super expensive method that Stretch does with the cork.