So I bought a PU board...

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Bert worked for Wade for a long time.

Kim was Eric's main shaper at his Island Classics label when all boards were shaped with a door planer ;-)

Kim was really good with that tool ! KKL machine cut quality just like Eric's roughs .

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I think T&C still uses 2 glassers
Monstah ,2 doors down and Brian Ping

They have used Otis and Laminations in the past

Things may have changed since I moved

Blanks are the biggest variable in crushing in most cases
Are blanks the driver behind the durability of the 70s boards?

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC
I have been very pleased with Stretch's EPS tech/CFT for the mixture of performance and durability but I have had three Pyzel's in the past three years - all second hand to me but in near perfect shape - and I have never had a PU/PE of this durability. It is going to make going with another stock 'big brand' (no insult intended) available in my area shops difficult when I can count on a Pyzel. The Southeastern US is a hot and humid place and I need to store a board in my truck (in a reflective bag and hidden under my camper shell) while working. PU is more stable in this environment.

Pyzel's PU have changed the game for me.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Foam was way harder then and yes they had more glass in most cases

Clark foam started making lighter and softer foam around 1981
Parking lot. Board on ground. Nose gets run over by the front tire of the car backing out of the spot next to me. Solar Cure fixed the 2” spot that was damaged otherwise the board was unscathed except for some scratches.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
I have been very pleased with Stretch's EPS tech/CFT for the mixture of performance and durability but I have had three Pyzel's in the past three years - all second hand to me but in near perfect shape - and I have never had a PU/PE of this durability. It is going to make going with another stock 'big brand' (no insult intended) available in my area shops difficult when I can count on a Pyzel. The Southeastern US is a hot and humid place and I need to store a board in my truck (in a reflective bag and hidden under my camper shell) while working. PU is more stable in this environment.

Pyzel's PU have changed the game for me.
Last Pyzel I picked up for my son I am less than thrilled with the glassing. Maybe it has team weight or something, but the fin boxes didn’t hold.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
My PU boards seem to last for the most part. My CI Proton has lasted 10 years. The only issue is the deck gets smashed in fairly quick on all of my boards. My 4 month old board has a stringer than sits 1/4" higher than the deck where my front foot goes. My boards are all 2 3/4 or thicker and I've been pretty lucky when it comes to snapping boards.

I do like XTR though and it was the same price for my Pyzel Ghost. But, there's no denying PU/PE feels better to me. I also have a CI Fever in Flexbar tech. Board feels good, but I don't think I'd buy another EPS board. The board was marked $350 off so I like it for the price. Wouldn't pay retail for one. The winds where I live on Oahu are onshore 80% of the year and I don't like how EPS feels in chop.

Last edited:

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
I don't think I've ever ridden a gloss finish board, does it add weight?
Sanded gloss if done right is A+
My newest stamps is gloss and polish = sometimes greg is right . What can I say it is amazing . Feels just as light as my single layer team glassed boards

I know stamps is picky so I might have different results with other makers

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Waterman’s Guild’s gloss and polish are shockingly light. others, eh, not so much. but a lot of weight is also added in the tint.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Surfed with Bert again this morning. Before managing Wade and Kerry’s factory he was with HIC and laminations so full circle. Bert was saying they’ve been scrambling to get blanks. They are the Bennett distributors but everything has been delayed so they’ve been trying to source other blanks like US Blanks. Said it’s especially hard to find EPS.

Interesting thing he told me is that they been making CI boards and the marketing for the Spinetek construction is so good he gets calls everyday asking if they can do those here. But he has to tell them it’s a proprietary construction and only CI in the mainland are allowed to glass boards that way.

Reactions: JDJ