So how big's it gonna get Wed/Thurs/Fri on west coast?

Buoy_maker

OTF status
Feb 20, 2017
I checked all the other cdip buoys and that’s the biggest max wave height. Don’t think it will compare to the one at Mendocino ridge a year or two ago, but that spot cheats because it’s on the ridge and they get gnarly internal waves there.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Was it worth it? That and a couple other rivermouths were on my short list for tomorrow. YOLO.
No. Not worth it. The rest of the winter was solid and I was pretty much out of the water past that one session. The next two months were pretty epic. I had sinus headaches that were close to unbelievable. Then when I finally got an antibiotic that worked, my Doc was adamant that I not go back in the water for another couple of months.

Another thing I have learned going north of Ventucky seeking cleaner water, on a number of those points, the houses are still on septic tanks. When it rains, a lot of those tanks are just dumping untreated sh!t into the runoff. The water may look cleaner, but the bacterial counts can be super high.

On top of that I have enough titanium in me to build a small submarine. I have been told that a bad infection can spread into the bones around the titanium. There is one member of the forum that lived through this horror. For me, it's not worth it. But when I was 13, I was out there with snakes, trees, dead animals and industrial/agricultural (insecticides, herbicides, fertilizers) waste, whatever. There was nothing I wouldn't surf in. And I operated like that into my 40's. And I only got sick once and I'm still alive. A friend of mine has what we laughingly call "the cockroach theory." It goes something like, "the more nasty sh!t you expose yourself to, the stronger you become. Like a cockroach."

That works till it doesn't.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Full on victory at sea conditions now. Waves breaking a mile out at some spots. If only we could have got some offshore winds.

Also, creeks have all broke now. Tons of branches, logs, and other stuff floating into the shorebreak and getting tossed and swept out. Water is pure chocolate.

I wouldn't touch this water with a water tight hazmat suit on. Ear infections are the most pain I've ever felt and the few that I've had in my younger years all came from surfing in storm surf.

Reactions: tacos and Ifallalot

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
No. Not worth it. The rest of the winter was solid and I was pretty much out of the water past that one session. The next two months were pretty epic. I had sinus headaches that were close to unbelievable. Then when I finally got an antibiotic that worked, my Doc was adamant that I not go back in the water for another couple of months.

Another thing I have learned going north of Ventucky seeking cleaner water, on a number of those points, the houses are still on septic tanks. When it rains, a lot of those tanks are just dumping untreated sh!t into the runoff. The water may look cleaner, but the bacterial counts can be super high.

On top of that I have enough titanium in me to build a small submarine. I have been told that a bad infection can spread into the bones around the titanium. There is one member of the forum that lived through this horror. For me, it's not worth it. But when I was 13, I was out there with snakes, trees, dead animals and industrial/agricultural (insecticides, herbicides, fertilizers) waste, whatever. There was nothing I wouldn't surf in. And I operated like that into my 40's. And I only got sick once and I'm still alive. A friend of mine has what we laughingly call "the cockroach theory." It goes something like, "the more nasty sh!t you expose yourself to, the stronger you become. Like a cockroach."

I went out at Seal Beach right after a storm back in 2019 and got like a 3 month ear infection that must have messed up my inner ear; i've had motion sickness problems since

Reactions: tacos and JDJ

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
The climate change morons that think electric cars would prevent this have raging hard-ons right now.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Bigass long set just steamrolled everyone at Hagerty's on SL cam.
View attachment 145211
looks more like haggarty's to me but ur the admin.

norcal coast doesnt look that big this morning. more like the storm just shoved a large portion of the pacific up against norcal. 5 ft tide looks more an 8. storm seas with lots of water moving very fast.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
I checked all the other cdip buoys and that’s the biggest max wave height. Don’t think it will compare to the one at Mendocino ridge a year or two ago, but that spot cheats because it’s on the ridge and they get gnarly internal waves there.
029 always reads bigger than the surrounding buoys. either its a calibration issue or a result of local bathymetry. either way take it with a grain of salt

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Europe is also getting slammed. Iceland, Ireland, and Norway must be pumping.

1672955536057.png

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

sm bay st lifeguards got cancer

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
This storm is the cry of Mother Nature, tortured, screaming, weeping, in utter agony...climate change is truly upon us.

These are the beginnings of the birthpangs.
Storms in the early and mid 90s were actually worse. 1992, I remember, SoCal pretty much shut down after getting hammered by rain.

1991 was a horrible winter, Mammoth put in snowmaking, and then the next several years the Sierras got absolutely shat on. Surf was good too. :beer: