Sizing a Christenson fish

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Yup. 6 months. Worth it to pay the extra $100 ish and have it shipped IMO, but only if it’s the right board.
Another option to consider if you are so inclined .... fish shapes are really popular these days .... on IG i see really good looking fish boards being posted on a regular basis. Depending on where you are located ... might be worth checking out some of the lesser known and/or up and coming shapers in your area .... good chance you converse directly with the shaper and get a quality custom built board at a much lower price and quicker timeframe.

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
Another option to consider if you are so inclined .... fish shapes are really popular these days .... on IG i see really good looking fish boards being posted on a regular basis. Depending on where you are located ... might be worth checking out some of the lesser known and/or up and coming shapers in your area .... good chance you converse directly with the shaper and get a quality custom built board at a much lower price and quicker timeframe.
Ive had a few different ones and want to try his. The Upside of a big name is that it has resale value if its a miss. Unknown guys, not so much.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
At your size I'd go 6'0, easy.

And I'd look at the Myconaut, but that's just me :)

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Im thinking about having a yolo moment if I can sell two more boards. Anybody know how to size these? I can either ship a stock one from across the country or order a custom and wait 6 months. Either way I’d be ordering a board sight unseen. For reference I’m 6’4 230 lbs and have been needing a bit more foam lately 37-38L is what’s working for me currently (depending on the board). Thx in advance for any advice.
6’2 - 215 ride a 5’8 CI Skinny Fish. Probably around 33L.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Ive had a few different ones and want to try his. The Upside of a big name is that it has resale value if its a miss. Unknown guys, not so much.
While this is very true my favourite all time fish I have owned is by a small time local shaper of alternative construction boards. Nailed it first go and the board is an absolute ball tearer.
On the flip side I once made the mistake of buying a highly lauded Christensen flat tracker 2.0 brand new. Was completely non-plussed by its ride characteristics and struggled to sell it for a sizeable loss of money.

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
These ones at icons have glass ons :shaka:looks like they have some different sizes in stock you could check out

Reactions: flyinraptr and cdes

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
These ones at icons have glass ons :shaka:looks like they have some different sizes in stock you could check out
These are probably the closest ones to me to go check out.

Oct 20, 2021
Thanks for the input. I’m more worried about undersizing it and would be ok with a 40L fish at 6’0. i Don’t think he does volume so I have to kind of guess how much foam might be in a particular board and how much foam is carried to the rail.
You can get Christenson volumes from the Pukas website. Go to Pukas Online Shop... go to Surfboards>Build Your Custom Surfboard>Custom Christenson Surfboards (choose the model and mess around with stock and custom dimensions including volume)

Reactions: cdes

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
THIS

Reactions: flyinraptr

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
You can get Christenson volumes from the Pukas website. Go to Pukas Online Shop... go to Surfboards>Build Your Custom Surfboard>Custom Christenson Surfboards (choose the model and mess around with stock and custom dimensions including volume)

That’s pretty cool. Looks like the 6’0 I’ve been looking at would fit the bill.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
Who’s got that kind of money ? Icons wants more than my first car. Even with shipping Id be saving hundreds. Color isn’t worth $4-500
there are SO many frickin good fish baords out there from awesome shapers. seriously. does anyone need hipster cred or do they just need something fast and loose with operabel drive and hold?

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
there are SO many frickin good fish baords out there from awesome shapers. seriously. does anyone need hipster cred or do they just need something fast and loose with operabel drive and hold?
Id be going stock white with barely if any logos so it’s not about cred. I’ve had a few, and his seem to get good word of mouth. What are your favorites 20w?

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
6-1 180

had a 5-8 21 2 1/2
glass on single foil

rode the sh!t outta it for a couple 3 years
worked in everything i could paddle it into

pita getting caught in the inside swirlies
eventually declared it dead and sold it

think about getting another one sometimes. little longer same width and thickness.

then look at the current prices and think nah im good

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
Id be going stock white with barely if any logos so it’s not about cred. I’ve had a few, and his seem to get good word of mouth. What are your favorites 20w?
depends what you're after...more of a mushy point/reef fish or one for beachbreak? all shapers mentioend under can make both...all are local (isH) underfoot experience for twin keels (not my thing...limited experience,but def enjoy them and these are the ones ive spent time on):
*note...rider presents donkey kong NON_smooth surf "skills"
barry v-to the eye, not the most sexy hipster svelt tight pants and twirly mustahce man-bun point break/mushy reef looking board,...but 100% solid for point/reef and EPIC for the beachbreaks
stamps- SEXY to eye, equally adept in beachbreaks (vid of tim putting one through the paces somewhere on youtube) and the point/reef mushy stuff
ryan sakal/aryse-SEXY to the eye, born from beachbreak and honed later in the softer rollish stuff.

all three shapers DEFINITELY can surf and make you something killer. couldn't go wrong.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
depends what you're after...more of a mushy point/reef fish or one for beachbreak? all shapers mentioend under can make both...all are local (isH) underfoot experience for twin keels (not my thing...limited experience,but def enjoy them and these are the ones ive spent time on):
*note...rider presents donkey kong NON_smooth surf "skills"
barry v-to the eye, not the most sexy hipster svelt tight pants and twirly mustahce man-bun point break/mushy reef looking board,...but 100% solid for point/reef and EPIC for the beachbreaks
stamps- SEXY to eye, equally adept in beachbreaks (vid of tim putting one through the paces somewhere on youtube) and the point/reef mushy stuff
ryan sakal/aryse-SEXY to the eye, born from beachbreak and honed later in the softer rollish stuff.

all three shapers DEFINITELY can surf and make you something killer. couldn't go wrong.
I’d never seen that video of Tim on fish before. Epic!

Reactions: TeamScam

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Checking the site ... that Lane Splitter looks like a nice shape .... kinda similar to my R2 - BSD. But $1,721? Has everyone in the States completely lost their f*cking minds?

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Checking the site ... that Lane Splitter looks like a nice shape .... kinda similar to my R2 - BSD. But $1,721? Has everyone in the States completely lost their f*cking minds?
From the ones I saw on Real Watersports page, the resin tinted ones were 350-400 more just for the color. Add in the gloss...