Sizing a Christenson fish

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
Im thinking about having a yolo moment if I can sell two more boards. Anybody know how to size these? I can either ship a stock one from across the country or order a custom and wait 6 months. Either way I’d be ordering a board sight unseen. For reference I’m 6’4 230 lbs and have been needing a bit more foam lately 37-38L is what’s working for me currently (depending on the board). Thx in advance for any advice.

Reactions: chilly1

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I havent ridden a christenson fish but I am planning to order another keel fish from stamps soon myself and have been struggling with how I want to size it. I have ridden quite a few fishes of different sizes over the years and have generally preferred the smaller ones. I think with the low rocker and overall efficency of the design you dont need to go too huge. Every time i ride a really oversized one I feel like it is really good and catching waves and going down the line but not much else. The small ones are not quite as good for paddling but they still have tons of drive and they are much more fun to turn.

All that said for OP at 6-4 ,230 lbs. I would be aiming for 40L+ depending on what kind of waves and surfing you wanna do. 37-38L seems like the low end for someone your size. I dunno where that puts you in stock dims, maybe 5-11 or 6-0? Seems reasonable. If you wanna go shorter it will probably have to be a custom.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Building on what Aruka said, I’m 200 lbs and ride just under 37L (5-8) for a semi traditional fish after many variations so going 40+ seems reasonable.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Building on what Aruka said, I’m 200 lbs and ride just under 37L (5-8) for a semi traditional fish after many variations so going 40+ seems reasonable.
Thats helpful. Im 6-3, 185 riding 32-34L for HP style boards. My old banjo fish is 5-7 and like 32L. Love it but dont want to paddle it anymore. Got a 5-11 album symphony mini sim recently at 38L and it feels pretty great in tiny stuff. Ill probably shoot for the middle ground like 5-8 or 5-9 and 35 or so liters.

Reactions: MathDebater

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Im thinking about having a yolo moment if I can sell two more boards. Anybody know how to size these? I can either ship a stock one from across the country or order a custom and wait 6 months. Either way I’d be ordering a board sight unseen. For reference I’m 6’4 230 lbs and have been needing a bit more foam lately 37-38L is what’s working for me currently (depending on the board). Thx in advance for any advice.
Why not just contact the shaper?

Seems like a better idea then asking bunch of random people on the internet.

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
Thanks for the input. I’m more worried about undersizing it and would be ok with a 40L fish at 6’0. i Don’t think he does volume so I have to kind of guess how much foam might be in a particular board and how much foam is carried to the rail.

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
I have done this and gotten back an email from his rep. i guess I’m just trying to get some more data points. I am used to buying off the rack, it’s hard for me to trust that a board will come out right especially as a bigger guy. I know that volume isnt the end all be all, but for me it’s really helpful to answer some basic questions. Will it float me ? should I consider a shorter Std size? Etc…

Reactions: Aruka

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I have done this and gotten back an email from his rep. i guess I’m just trying to get some more data points. I am used to buying off the rack, it’s hard for me to trust that a board will come out right especially as a bigger guy. I know that volume isnt the end all be all, but for me it’s really helpful to answer some basic questions. Will it float me ? should I consider a shorter Std size? Etc…
The guy you are emailing with is around 6'7 give or take.

He knows how to size stuff for bigger people.

Reactions: cdes

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Yeah, I wouldn't be too worried about getting a recommendation from Jon.

I also don't think there's any reason to order a custom CC fish when you can just YOLO one right off the rack.

I think volume is super important for keel fishes. Under volume and they're hard to paddle and you can't catch waves.

Over volume and they're super hard to control because they're super fast.

When you say you ride 37 - 38L these days, what kind of boards are we talking about? HPSB? All around shortboards? Other fish? That's kind of an important data point.

Net-net, you're probably going to be looking at the 5'10 or 6'0 depending on how you want it to feel, where you plan on surfing it, and how fun/challenging you want the experience to be.

FWIW, I had a 5'10 once and it was WAY WAY too big for me. Easily 37L but you know it's hard to tell. I sized down to the 5'6 and that was good for me (at the time). If I were to get one today, I'd probably go 5'4 TBH.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Casa is right. Jon is a friend and he is tall. He will dial you in. He used to ride fish 1ft + under his height. He knows the range. I’ve had multiple iterations of cc fish. For me, I like around nose height as doc said. I like a little thinner and narrower though than stock dims because I stretch out the height a bit. I think age is a factor too. The younger you are, be more aggressive with shorter lengths. Another factor, boards you ride. If you ride HPSB then go shorter. You a long boar mid man, go longer. I just got back from mainland Mex, waves got small. I borrowed a Mabile twinzer fish multiple times from a guy 6 in taller than me. It went fine but the tail had 2 incuts which made it super fun. Bring the tail width in, you can go longer than people think. But that is another design discussion. Last-you may want to find a used one. That will help teach you what you can handle. Then order a custom. You will probably screw up the first order anyway (especially if you fixate on volume over length, width, and thickness). Last, last-glass on keels turned my fish on. Would never order without again. And I really don’t understand why that would matter so much over properly placed futures or something. But whatever.

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
Yeah, I wouldn't be too worried about getting a recommendation from Jon.

I also don't think there's any reason to order a custom CC fish when you can just YOLO one right off the rack.

I think volume is super important for keel fishes. Under volume and they're hard to paddle and you can't catch waves.

Over volume and they're super hard to control because they're super fast.

When you say you ride 37 - 38L these days, what kind of boards are we talking about? HPSB? All around shortboards? Other fish? That's kind of an important data point.

Net-net, you're probably going to be looking at the 5'10 or 6'0 depending on how you want it to feel, where you plan on surfing it, and how fun/challenging you want the experience to be.

FWIW, I had a 5'10 once and it was WAY WAY too big for me. Easily 37L but you know it's hard to tell. I sized down to the 5'6 and that was good for me (at the time). If I were to get one today, I'd probably go 5'4 TBH.
to give an idea of what works for me:
5’10 fling : 37L
5’9 Evo 37L
6’3 monsta box: 36L
5’11 cymatic 38L. (upsized from a 36L that’s was too small)

There are a few 6’0s I could ship here that are 6’0 x 20.25 x 2.625“ This would cost about 100 more than ordering one and waiting 6 months. Jon replied that they’d work for me but didn’t elaborate much. He also asked which boards I ride and I gave him the above info. I’ll try him again this week to get a warm fuzzy.
most of the above boards I ride are 2.75” thick so I’m a little worried about the shipped boards being too small. Depends on how it’s foiled I guess. I just got Oceanslides Twinsman which is 2 5/8 but feels more like 3” because of how far the foam is carried to the rail.
Id love to buy a used one. You know anyone with a gently used 6’0?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Did they actually tell you wait time is 6mo? I rea
to give an idea of what works for me:
5’10 fling : 37L
5’9 Evo 37L
6’3 monsta box: 36L
5’11 cymatic 38L. (upsized from a 36L that’s was too small)

There are a few 6’0s I could ship here that are 6’0 x 20.25 x 2.625“ This would cost about 100 more than ordering one and waiting 6 months. Jon replied that they’d work for me but didn’t elaborate much. He also asked which boards I ride and I gave him the above info. I’ll try him again this week to get a warm fuzzy.
most of the above boards I ride are 2.75” thick so I’m a little worried about the shipped boards being too small. Depends on how it’s foiled I guess. I just got Oceanslides Twinsman which is 2 5/8 but feels more like 3” because of how far the foam is carried to the rail.
Id love to buy a used one. You know anyone with a gently used 6’0?
Damn, did they actually tell you the wait time is 6mo?

Definitely go 5'10 based on what you're riding. His fish are pretty traditional... they look pulled in in photos but it's only because they're quite wide.

They also have very flat decks and a lot of volume in the rails.

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
Yup. 6 months. Worth it to pay the extra $100 ish and have it shipped IMO, but only if it’s the right board.