Single Fins

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
My favorite combo for <6 foot single fin short boards has been simple panel vee increasing from entry to tail. Round tail, wide point up a couple of inches, crisp edge rail tuck, and a >7" TA template Bonzer fin. I tried a lot of different fins, and the Bonzer fin in a single has worked great for hold and drive through bottom and top turns.

I was at the beach Thursday too but up around VFW, so I know the waves you are talking about. I'd suggest Steve Coletta or Michel Junod for what you described. They started shaping in the single fin days, and you will have a great customer experience with both. My opinion is to go with Steve if you want modernized and less retro.
Steve is retired and living in Mexico

Watervalley

OTF status
Dec 27, 2016
Huh
i ordered last week 6-6 bullet via Proctor single fin ,

This incorporates the smooth flow of a traditional vee bottom (which is very free and forgiving and tippy rail to rail….and which also gives the tail a nice free brakes are off feeling instead of the sticky backfoot feel that can be common in traditional single to double concaves. Basically it combines the a flatter more traditional rocker with a synthesis of modern concaves placed into the traditional vee bottom….which gives the board much more horsepower and hold while still maintaining the classic free and easy feel under the feet.

Reactions: flyinraptr

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
i ordered last week 6-6 bullet via Proctor single fin ,

This incorporates the smooth flow of a traditional vee bottom (which is very free and forgiving and tippy rail to rail….and which also gives the tail a nice free brakes are off feeling instead of the sticky backfoot feel that can be common in traditional single to double concaves. Basically it combines the a flatter more traditional rocker with a synthesis of modern concaves placed into the traditional vee bottom….which gives the board much more horsepower and hold while still maintaining the classic free and easy feel under the feet.
does it now? proctor sales lagging are they...

:violin::violin::violin:

Reactions: urchined

Hullman

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 29, 2005
After a year of riding a single, they will start to feel a little dead. So you add a couple of little canards on the rails a few inches forward of the single. Suddenly, the board comes alive and you wonder why you didn't go with the "widow maker" concept. Then to jazz it up even more, you use bigger canards and a smaller single. After a while it feels like the board bogs a bit so you take out the single and turn it into a twin fin like you should have in the beginning...

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
After a year of riding a single, they will start to feel a little dead. So you add a couple of little canards on the rails a few inches forward of the single. Suddenly, the board comes alive and you wonder why you didn't go with the "widow maker" concept. Then to jazz it up even more, you use bigger canards and a smaller single. After a while it feels like the board bogs a bit so you take out the single and turn it into a twin fin like you should have in the beginning...
And then you add two canards forward of the twins and you have arrived at the holy land.

• Love
Reactions: MathDebater