Single Fins

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Never thought about that. i just go with what fin looks right for the board. Once the board works well not mess with it.

Dave Parmenter suggested 6.5 for my 6'7, and that sounds a little small, so maybe so :shrug:
Interesting - i'm running a 7.5 Greenough 4A in my 6'8" but have it set all the way forward in the fin box.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Never thought about that. i just go with what fin looks right for the board. Once the board works well not mess with it.

Dave Parmenter suggested 6.5 for my 6'7, and that sounds a little small, so maybe so :shrug:
I remember right long gone my 6'9" pintail I rode a 7.5"(7"(?) Ca classic from 2' to DOH reef barrels:shaka: best swish knife board I ever owned.

Reactions: flyinraptr

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Interesting - i'm running a 7.5 Greenough 4A in my 6'8" but have it set all the way forward in the fin box.
He said(paraphrase)everything is designed around where the center of the fin box is: channels, tail, what happens with the rail.
so 6.5 Bonzer fin, centered.

One surf the fin slide back a bit and the board didn’t work well. Jammed it all the way forward, unintentionally, and the board didn’t work at all.

Reactions: flyinraptr

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
I have a Barry Snyder 6'8" WPF (yes - he did work with Brewer). I think it is my favorite board of all-time.

WPF.png

I snapped mine a while back and had it repaired ....

20200928_093138.jpg

20201019_165705.jpg

Definitely added some weight up front ... board has gotten a lot of mileage. I took it out this morning - Surfline was calling it HH - DOH ... MagicSeaweed had it at 7' for those using the Hawaiian metric system. It's been big for 4 or 5 days now. The board still goes blazingly fast - I took it out to a spot this morning that can handle size .... basically a sand bottom point type of wave ... i was dropping from the peak and doing a hand stall through the bottom turn and then hitting the gas as it walled up and flying through sections - the board is so much fun. As a contrast ... there were a couple of local rippers out on short boards ... they were both pumping like crazy through their bottom turns just trying to make it through the first section. I was having a pretty good session until i got smoked by a 10' cleanup set - had to bail and took 4 on the head - rag dolled etc. I'm ordering another WPF - this time no side bites just a single fin box with channels ... talked to Barry ... told me the WPF with channels is money. Not planning on doing anything too extreme with the channels either. BTW - Barry's description of the board on his website is pretty much spot on.

erik1938

Legend (inyourownmind)
I transitioned from riding quads to twins and now to this. I 1st wanted to ride a sbsf a few years ago but I didn't want to order one and pay top $ because I may not have liked it. I was wrong. I 1st found an almost new Hobie deadly flying glove, 6'6"x 21" x 2 5/8 and I loved it. It was a little larger then most of my other boards but the speed this thing had....and the way it surfed...like butter. Then I saw the same model used but it is a 6'0x20"x2.5", which is the one pictured. I can't get enough of it. deck.jpgbottom.jpg