Simon Shapes

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Sending out an erbb SOS: One of the fin boxes has an issue with the grub screw hole. Screwing it n is real tight on entry, then goes loose and won't tighten. Leaves the fin with a lot of wiggle and wobble and the front of the fin doesn't go flush to the board. What can I do here?
View attachment 150977
mcneill has a special jig for that. tell him to send u one.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Sending out an erbb SOS: One of the fin boxes has an issue with the grub screw hole. Screwing it n is real tight on entry, then goes loose and won't tighten. Leaves the fin with a lot of wiggle and wobble and the front of the fin doesn't go flush to the board. What can I do here?
View attachment 150977
normally you can try a longer grub screw but those threads look fluxed. cross threaded and done.

whoever first put in the grub fuggrrd it up.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Yeah, friends suggested a longer screw. Gonna give that a try n hope for the best or I cry...

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
If the longer one doesn't do it with the thread being bad just get a small tap & dye set from a hardware shop and do the next size up thread and use a larger grub screw.
Alternatively you can fill the hole and re tap it with the correct size. I did that with the FCS ratchet tool's pieces in the end of the tool handle. Drill a small hole first then run the tap through.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Thanks for the explanation, mate. That sounds like a plan, but I've let John know - he said he would get in touch with Futures. Bit annoying to immediately have to fix a brand new board...

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I bought a used full carbon MS brand board (they glass Albums and CI tri-plane and Mid lengths) from a guy with FCS plugs that had used FCS 2 fins in it. I have pretty much all Futures boards so had only FCS 1 fins.
Went to put put some grub screws in only to discover one of the grub screw holes had been glassed over.
A minor thing but suprising that this had occurred and been over looked by whoever was responsible.
Ended up drilling a hole through the glass and running a tap down the thread. Good as gold.
If you end up having to get it sorted yourself its easy to fix.

Reactions: Goodfish

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
If the longer one doesn't do it with the thread being bad just get a small tap & dye set from a hardware shop and do the next size up thread and use a larger grub screw.
Alternatively you can fill the hole and re tap it with the correct size. I did that with the FCS ratchet tool's pieces in the end of the tool handle. Drill a small hole first then run the tap through.
what did you fill the hole with -- epoxy?

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Went the bigger grub screw route. Worked, but...

One of the True Ames Album asym fins that I got with the board doesn't sit flush. I've tried other fins in the same plug, and they all sit flush. It looks like the C-cut on the back of the fin hasn't been cut deep enough which is causing the problem. You can see it quite clearly in this photo:

IMG_4046 2.jpg

• Angry
Reactions: oeste858

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali

One of the True Ames Album asym fins that I got with the board doesn't sit flush. I've tried other fins in the same plug, and they all sit flush. It looks like the C-cut on the back of the fin hasn't been cut deep enough which is causing the problem. You can see it quite clearly in this photo:

View attachment 151268
Just use a circular file on it.

6154B4A9-C502-4879-87BA-01CB6AF9A20E.jpeg

Havoc

May 23, 2016

View attachment 151268
file it bra. futures fit kit comes with a grinder file and sandpaper

• Haha
Reactions: SD_Dan and Goodfish

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
file it bra. futures fit kit comes with a grinder file and sandpaper
If you sand or file fin be very careful how much you take off. Keep checking often until snug fit. Its way easier to sand box bottom with some folded sand paper 120 lightly remove resin. Lucky Dave at time now Dylan has great customer service over at stretch factory. They replaced one of my stretch controller #3 fins I over sanded:cursing:

Reactions: Goodfish

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
The erbb provides...:bowdown:

Just taken up so much time dealing with this. Anyway...

Last edited:

Havoc

May 23, 2016
If you sand or file fin be very careful how much you take off. Keep checking often until snug fit. Its way easier to sand box bottom with some folded sand paper 120 lightly remove resin. Lucky Dave at time now Dylan has great customer service over at stretch factory. They replaced one of my stretch controller #3 fins I over sanded:cursing:
forgot to mention futures fit kit also comes with packing tape

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Will do the filling when I get my hands on one. For now, I just put my Burch fins in. All sit flush...

IMG-4069.JPG
IMG-4070.JPG

Dunno why or how fin companies don't do quality control on the fins they put out. Just see if they fit in a box before you sell them!

Havoc

May 23, 2016

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Holy moly, the board is so fun! The varial pop and springiness is not something I've experienced before on a surfboard. Feels like a hovercraft. The board is perfect for what I wanted it for: fun-size river mouths and beachies. The asym swallow tail felt really spicy on a couple of turns, and even got a compliment from a grumpy local on a little roundhouse that surprised even myself.