Signed up for Judo. Anyone else on here?

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I've been considering finding a martial arts program for my daughter.
I always thought it would be cool to get her into boxing too.
I'm less worried about her using what she learned in the wrong context than I would be with my son. I feel like erring more on the side of "punch first ask questions last" with her.
For a girl, BJJ is the one

If they get grabbed or someone tries to hold them down, lay on them, grab them from behind, whatever, they can overcome the feeling of panic and remain in control while they escape or submit

It's also really fun

Striking never hurts, and is essential for guys as part of an overall self defense program, but judo/BJJ is pretty ideal as a self defense program for women

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
For a girl, BJJ is the one

If they get grabbed or someone tries to hold them down, lay on them, grab them from behind, whatever, they can overcome the feeling of panic and remain in control while they escape or submit

It's also really fun

Striking never hurts, and is essential for guys as part of an overall self defense program, but judo/BJJ is pretty ideal as a self defense program for women
We had a guy back in high school wrestling who was a Judo coach/black belt who would help out.. Also used to work security in somewhat dangerous inner city bar, claimed he never lost an encounter without throwing a punch, get ahold of their clothing and take em for a ride, not many got up.

Reactions: twinzerfan

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Got a better idea for practical self defense for females? One that doesn't involve going toe to toe with someone six inches taller and sixty pounds heavier? Or finding the one judo school in a 100 mile radius?

:foreheadslap:
Boxing training:shrug: proper jab and then combo etc could fend off anyone and give you the confidence you need but if attacker has weapon all the martial arts in the world is not going to help unless you happen to be in a movie.

Reactions: twinzerfan

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
No clue bro. All I know is it don’t require training and hurts like a motherfooker. Quick trip to the hardware store and you can make one for cheap

Useless trivia/trip. I used to know someone who had survived a few really sketchy street fights. On 60's-70's-80's cars, he told me you could rip off the car antenna and use it to strike the head. He told me it cut "to the bone." It wasn't going to knock them out, but mostly after he ripped their face open they weren't as enthusiastic about the fight.

So if you are ever attacked in a car museum, you've got it handled!

Maybe you can hit them with your phone?

Reactions: Joshua2415

LarryTate

Nep status
May 7, 2012
Boxing training:shrug: proper jab and then combo etc could fend off anyone and give you the confidence you need but if attacker has weapon all the martial arts in the world is not going to help unless you happen to be in a movie.
Anyone seen Richie?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
and please keep the BJJ is better comments to yourselves.
Anyone with knowledge of both would never say BJJ is better.

Btw, judo is really rough on the body. How old are you?

PS: one of my instructors is a bb in judo and BJJ so we do get exposed to judo quite a bit where I train. Wish I did judo when I was younger.

Last edited:
Reactions: tacos and Havoc

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
:monkey: I did BJJ for a couple years but kind of wished it was judo. I don’t have anything else to add except that I usually prefer to watch judo, it was great for a little while when they would stream live IJF events on YouTube.
When judo got into the Olympics they changed the rules specifically to make it more entertaining to watch.

Reactions: tacos