Signed up for Judo. Anyone else on here?

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
:monkey: I did BJJ for a couple years but kind of wished it was judo. I don’t have anything else to add except that I usually prefer to watch judo, it was great for a little while when they would stream live IJF events on YouTube.

Reactions: twinzerfan

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
watching high level judo ppl vs bjj pll doing takedown drills can be pure entertainment. One of the gnarliest person I know has been a judo bb since his teens and got his bjj bb a few years ago. It’s cool to hear there’s actually a judo place in your hood.

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
I have a middle/high rank in Pekiti-Tirsia and have done some other stuff. The filipino arts have their own takedowns and ground work, but I wanted something to do with my kid that wouldn’t get him arrested or in trouble at school - as in striking/hitting looks way worse on video than a throw if he gets grabbed.

The Judo club is low key, but participates in tournaments which to me is ideal.. There’s tons of BJJ schools around south Florida, and that’s cool. Just not what I need or want.

was just curious about the experiences others have had with Judo and what to watch for. Thanks

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Did a bit scholastic wrestling, was always intrested in judo. Is very underrated for self defense on the street, if one can execute a proper throw on a hard surface, game over.

Reactions: need 4 speed

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I have a middle/high rank in Pekiti-Tirsia and have done some other stuff. The filipino arts have their own takedowns and ground work, but I wanted something to do with my kid that wouldn’t get him arrested or in trouble at school - as in striking/hitting looks way worse on video than a throw if he gets grabbed.

The Judo club is low key, but participates in tournaments which to me is ideal.. There’s tons of BJJ schools around south Florida, and that’s cool. Just not what I need or want.

was just curious about the experiences others have had with Judo and what to watch for. Thanks
Judo is rad. Stocked for you and the kid. Watch out for broken ribs/the sooner you learn to go with the throw the more better

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I trained briefly at the San Fernando Valley judo club. It was a great experience. Technically challenging and more fun than BJJ and great for the kids. It’s the biggest sport in the world after soccer I’m told. It’s a shame there aren’t more schools in the US - parents want a BJJ McDojo.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
absolute truth

the guy teaching the filipino arts moved, and there’s no other school nearby, so it seems like a good time to try something different.
What are the floor mats like?

When you are old you need good floor mats.

We did it on concrete and indoor out door carpet.

I would get hemorrhoids from hitting the ground.

But I was young and full of hope and spunk.

• Haha
Reactions: twinzerfan

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
When I was a kid once took akido for a little bit and still remember some arm bars and throws etc...

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Judo coupled with BJJ and you're a beast. That said, any BJJ school should teach enough takedowns to handle 99% of the population.
My buddy does both equally and said that as soon as he gets to the ground with other judokas at his Judo academy, it's submission central without much difficulty :trout:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I've been considering finding a martial arts program for my daughter.
I always thought it would be cool to get her into boxing too.
I'm less worried about her using what she learned in the wrong context than I would be with my son. I feel like erring more on the side of "punch first ask questions last" with her.