Sharpeye Surfboards

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
i'm about to order a disco cheater to replace a gg cheater quad. seems like the closest like for like without asking someone to make a gg copy. it's for the winter and i want to go more a bit more volume than the stock dims. was thinking a swallow tail quad with a half inch more width and touch more thickness. my gg is 6'6 x 22 x 3 and around 45L. i'm thinking similar dims but more like 40-42L. you guys see any problems with this? i haven't liked sizing up grovelers in the past but i also don't want a step up or good wave board either. just something for crowded dumpy hh beach break
My Disco Cheater is stock EPS 6'4 x 20 3/4 and 38L. I'm 54 x 6'1 and 195 pounds with bad shoulders. Aging advanced surfer. Its a great board as is. The board rides and paddles like a much bigger board than it is. If I were to order another Disco Cheater it would be Poly and I would go smaller. Mine has the quad option but I ride it as a thruster and doubt I will ever even try it as a quad. No reason to.

Reactions: OsideBum

dcurbelo

OTF status
Jan 27, 2011
Atlantic Ocean
i'm about to order a disco cheater to replace a gg cheater quad. seems like the closest like for like without asking someone to make a gg copy. it's for the winter and i want to go more a bit more volume than the stock dims. was thinking a swallow tail quad with a half inch more width and touch more thickness. my gg is 6'6 x 22 x 3 and around 45L. i'm thinking similar dims but more like 40-42L. you guys see any problems with this? i haven't liked sizing up grovelers in the past but i also don't want a step up or good wave board either. just something for crowded dumpy hh beach break
I rode mine a bit oversized and didn’t really click with it. I’ll just modify thickness as required. Especially if going EPS.
5’10” , rode the stock 5’9” E3

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022
Read this whole thread and it inspired me to stop by the Sharpeye factory today and look at some Inferno 72s. Felt up a stock 6’0 in poly and 5’10 in EPS. The 5’10 felt pretty HP and is a little smaller than I normally ride. The 6’0 felt really good but I had to do a double take at the dims. 2.8 was written as the thickness. Didn’t look or feel as boaty as I would have expected. One of those boards is gonna follow me home soon……

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC
New to a Sharpeye quiver. I had a round tail SB1 from mid 2000's and have seen the best local surfers up and down the North Carolina Coast regularly on them for the past 30 years, but it was a local shop's liquidation at wholesale prices of their surfboard stock had me walk out with a 6'5 Midgicine, 6'3 Inferno 72 and 5'10 Twin Turbo. All FCS2.

I am getting close to 50 year old and have more responsibilities than ever so multiple forces are working against me surfing at what I was 10 years ago. So these boards were an increase in volume and length.

Stock dims on each on.

Here's my early take on the I72 and T.Turbo.
i72 has been surfed in ugly, choppy East Coast wind swell in the chest to over head peaks range in winter gear. Not my best conditions but beggars can't be choosers. While 3" longer than the wonderful Pyzel Ghost I like in good waves, it did not paddle any better, maybe not as well, but it it surfed much freer and looser. While the waves had plenty of push they ended up in the waist high range on the inside and the board, though very long for me, did not surf long. Felt like the very best board from the late 90's for me. I ran the large AM fins and it felt wonderful. While I am the opposite of a Sharpeye team members' frame - heavy, stocky 5'10 - and my fins are never above the lip - the board seems perfect. The glassing also looks perfect. Not normal for me. the longer rail feels great in a carve with speed.

The T.Turbo was not as instant. Its volume was about 2L more than I ride but the foil was that of HPSB for me. The width gave it a very stable paddle but it does not glide into waves like other fishy performance boards I have had, say my MTF. I outfitted it with MR plus trailer. I have sessions at my local beach break in literal knee high waves to chest high clean runners and a fun waist high session in the super fun waves of New Smyrna Inlet. It is much more like a HPSB than a twin with high performance tweaks. I was able to push the fins out in some front side carves, which is not what I like to do. I think it is due to the more than usual tail rocker for this design. But while this is not what I expected from the T.Turbo it is a great board for me. Loves the stubby short peaks we get off windswells and is more agile than the dimensions make you think. Glassing has also been wonderfully strong.

Midgician is where I need help. I can't see what this is for. Again my age and the price of the board made this seem like a good choice. But as a 30 year shortboard guy, I can't make this work any better. It is not loose at all. It is not any faster. It is easy to paddle. I have been running the FCS large FW thrusters in it. Wondering if I need a smaller fin. It may need a bigger face and a longer wave than what I have it in. It looks beautiful to me with its wonderful foil. Any suggestions you have to make it more fun, I would appreciate. My age and fitness level make me think I will have to learn how to surf this eventually.

In short, I conclude Sharpeye boards surf shorter than their length and the i72 does feel pretty special, even when not the perfect size.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
New to a Sharpeye quiver. I had a round tail SB1 from mid 2000's and have seen the best local surfers up and down the North Carolina Coast regularly on them for the past 30 years, but it was a local shop's liquidation at wholesale prices of their surfboard stock had me walk out with a 6'5 Midgicine, 6'3 Inferno 72 and 5'10 Twin Turbo. All FCS2.

I am getting close to 50 year old and have more responsibilities than ever so multiple forces are working against me surfing at what I was 10 years ago. So these boards were an increase in volume and length.

Stock dims on each on.

Here's my early take on the I72 and T.Turbo.
i72 has been surfed in ugly, choppy East Coast wind swell in the chest to over head peaks range in winter gear. Not my best conditions but beggars can't be choosers. While 3" longer than the wonderful Pyzel Ghost I like in good waves, it did not paddle any better, maybe not as well, but it it surfed much freer and looser. While the waves had plenty of push they ended up in the waist high range on the inside and the board, though very long for me, did not surf long. Felt like the very best board from the late 90's for me. I ran the large AM fins and it felt wonderful. While I am the opposite of a Sharpeye team members' frame - heavy, stocky 5'10 - and my fins are never above the lip - the board seems perfect. The glassing also looks perfect. Not normal for me. the longer rail feels great in a carve with speed.

The T.Turbo was not as instant. Its volume was about 2L more than I ride but the foil was that of HPSB for me. The width gave it a very stable paddle but it does not glide into waves like other fishy performance boards I have had, say my MTF. I outfitted it with MR plus trailer. I have sessions at my local beach break in literal knee high waves to chest high clean runners and a fun waist high session in the super fun waves of New Smyrna Inlet. It is much more like a HPSB than a twin with high performance tweaks. I was able to push the fins out in some front side carves, which is not what I like to do. I think it is due to the more than usual tail rocker for this design. But while this is not what I expected from the T.Turbo it is a great board for me. Loves the stubby short peaks we get off windswells and is more agile than the dimensions make you think. Glassing has also been wonderfully strong.

Midgician is where I need help. I can't see what this is for. Again my age and the price of the board made this seem like a good choice. But as a 30 year shortboard guy, I can't make this work any better. It is not loose at all. It is not any faster. It is easy to paddle. I have been running the FCS large FW thrusters in it. Wondering if I need a smaller fin. It may need a bigger face and a longer wave than what I have it in. It looks beautiful to me with its wonderful foil. Any suggestions you have to make it more fun, I would appreciate. My age and fitness level make me think I will have to learn how to surf this eventually.

In short, I conclude Sharpeye boards surf shorter than their length and the i72 does feel pretty special, even when not the perfect size.
I havent ridden or felt up the midgician but like you are thinking I would try smaller fins. Does it have quad boxes? Might be worth a try if so.

Riding bigger boards is its own skill. Gotta get more comfortable moving your feet around and make sure that rear foot is back over the fins when going for a turn.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
North Carolina
Midgician is where I need help. I can't see what this is for. Again my age and the price of the board made this seem like a good choice. But as a 30 year shortboard guy, I can't make this work any better. It is not loose at all. It is not any faster. It is easy to paddle.

It may need a bigger face and a longer wave than what I have it in.

It looks beautiful to me with its wonderful foil. Any suggestions you have to make it more fun, I would appreciate. My age and fitness level make me think I will have to learn how to surf this eventually.
Any suggestions you have to make it more fun
bigger face and a longer wave than what I have it in.

Reactions: freeride76

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC
The shop is South Swell Surf Shop in Emerald Isle. They are not closing, they were choosing to clean out their boards. Whalebone is still in business in Nags Head.

Mar 15, 2022
I'm just casually dropping in to say that the Synergy is the best board I've ever owned.
I’ve been on a quest for a new daily driver. But I have 3 boards in that category. May need to finally add a more HP board.

what do you like about the Synergy?