Senate Intel Committee backs assessment of Russian election meddling

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
The Senate is trying to send him a very strong message.

The Senate Intelligence Committee on Tuesday backed the intelligence community's assessment that Russia interfered in the 2016 presidential election to aid President Donald Trump and is continuing its efforts to undermine U.S. democracy.

An unclassified report that reveals Russia meddled in far more extensive ways than previously known is yet another strong rebuke to Trump and many of his allies who continue to cast doubt on findings from the intelligence community that Moscow carried out an operation to help his candidacy and hurt Hillary Clinton.

“As numerous intelligence and national security officials in the Trump administration have since unanimously re-affirmed, the ICA findings were accurate and on point," said Mark Warner (D-Va.), vice chairman of the Intelligence Committee, in a statement on Tuesday. "The Russian effort was extensive and sophisticated, and its goals were to undermine public faith in the democratic process, to hurt Secretary Clinton and to help Donald Trump."

The report released by Chairman Richard Burr (R-N.C.) and Warner comes ahead of Trump's planned meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin on July 16 in Helsinki. Even though Trump has said he believes Putin's assurances that Moscow didn't interfere with the vote, Trump has said he'll bring up election meddling during the meeting.

In its conclusions about Russian involvement in the lead-up to the presidential election, the Senate describes activity that goes far beyond the intelligence community’s initial January 2017 assessments of Russian elements' attempts to divide Americans.

“While the ICA briefly discussed the activities of the Internet Research Agency, the Committee's investigation has exposed a far more extensive Russian effort to manipulate social media outlets to sow discord and to interfere in the 2016 election and American society," according the summary.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
it’s the committee that heads up the IC...

:roflmao:

And at the very bottom of the quote...

“Social media”

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
ifallalot said:

“Social media”

I wish I could find that post of yours I quoted....

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
manbearpig said:
I think you underestimate the wide audience and influence social media has and how it can be used for propaganda.
Oh, I understand the reach, but information is just information. Talk to me when vote totals are proved changed

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
ifallalot said:
manbearpigTalk to me when vote totals are proved changed [/quote said:
2/3rds of Americans get their news via social media

this news influences voters

I don't understand why you keep repeating this line

doubly so when DHS and other agencies have reported network intrusion

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
ifallalot said:

“Social media”

207.3 million Facebook users in the US

137.5 million in total voted in 2016

If you think the Facebook Troll Farm haven't had an impact on the election and reinforcement of lies that form most people's social media bubbles, you are way, way dumber than previously thought.

GromsDad entire worldview is based on Russian troll farm memes that use rotten allegories.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
It’s like a scooby doo episode

I would’ve gotten away with it if not for those meddling Russians!

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
BillyOcean said:
It’s like a scooby doo episode

I would’ve gotten away with it if not for those meddling Russians!
What kind of analogy would I call this if I were free to use my intellectual and linguistic superpowers?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
ifallalot said:
manbearpig said:
I think you underestimate the wide audience and influence social media has and how it can be used for propaganda.
Oh, I understand the reach, but information is just information. Talk to me when vote totals are proved changed
The democrats act like this imagined meddling and propaganda only went against their own candidate ant that it only cost them votes.

I don’t think any of it even moved public opinion at all. Polling was pretty clear early on that people had made up their minds early on and weren’t budging. About the only attack on either candidate that moved the polling at all was the Access Hollywood hit job and that worked to Hillary’s advantage. If not for the Access Hollywood October Surprise Hillary would have lost a hell of a lot worse than she did. Willing to bet that the Access Hollywood tape cost Trump at least five percentage points nation wide. That hit job was a last gasp of a losing campaign and it was very effective. It still wasn’t enough to drag Hillary’s rotten corpse across the finish line.

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Autoprax said:
squidley said:
At least Russians seem to be smarter than half of Americans.
You should move their.

They are doing gay lock down hard.
Okay, I guess it's up to me to state the .......OBVIOUS.

Where is the evidence of ...you know ...collusion?

Yes, Russia probably tried to influence the outcome of the U.S. presidential election. Even if I didn't know anything about this specific instance I would be amazed if I found out that Russia failed to try. So what? We do it to other countries all the time. Everybody does it. To my knowledge there aren't any laws forbidding foreign governments from exerting influence in any way alleged of Russia, and there shouldn't be.

Duh.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
squidley said:
Autoprax said:
squidley said:
You should move their.

Yes, Russia probably tried to influence the outcome of the U.S. presidential election. Even if I didn't know anything about this specific instance I would be amazed if I found out that Russia failed to try. So what? We do it to other countries all the time. Everybody does it. To m y knowledge here aren't any laws forbidding foreign governments from exerting influence in any way alleged of Russia, and there shouldn't be.

Duh.
Would you be saying the same thing if Hillary was president and accused of the same things?

Valdimir thanks you for your support, Komrade.

P.S. What do you make of trump wanting to meet Putin with no other Americans in the room?

At least let Mad dog listen in so he can vouch for Donny for those of us who don't trust him.

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Autoprax said:
squidley said:
Autoprax said:
squidley said:
You should move their.

Yes, Russia probably tried to influence the outcome of the U.S. presidential election. Even if I didn't know anything about this specific instance I would be amazed if I found out that Russia failed to try. So what? We do it to other countries all the time. Everybody does it. To m y knowledge here aren't any laws forbidding foreign governments from exerting influence in any way alleged of Russia, and there shouldn't be.

Duh.
Would you be saying the same thing if Hillary was president and accused of the same things?
ABSO-FRICKING-LUTELY.

autoprax said:
Valdimir thanks you for your support, Komrade.

P.S. What do you make of trump wanting to meet Putin with no other Americans in the room?

At least let Mad dog listen in so he can vouch for Donny for those of us who don't trust him.
Trump met with a Russian?

Yikes!

.....Yawn.

If any evidence finally shows up that Russia broke American laws, then prosecute. Until then kindly STFU, cupcake.

Hillary lost. Get over it.