Rusty Twin- Opinions?

sublime74

Miki Dora status
Jan 13, 2010
I said exactly same when felt up under arm but man board is very responsive and light under feet even with full rails
I got dibs on jdj's 5'10

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
casa_mugrienta said:
When you have several guys shaping under a label I feel you never know what to expect.
Really? I know Rusty has been using CAD for a long time now and assumed consistency between shapers there would be really good.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
I ordered mine online

I wanted epoly and they didn’t have any in stock but they had it shaped in a week

I would say the rails are medium

Definitely not as full as CI rails tend to be for example

I don’t have a problem with fuller rails though

There are several R models I’d like to check out— SD, Blade, Model 8

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
92122 said:
casa_mugrienta said:
When you have several guys shaping under a label I feel you never know what to expect.
Really? I know Rusty has been using CAD for a long time now and assumed consistency between shapers there would be really good.
I'm saying 6 different shapers working under the Rusty label

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Just for the record, Rusty personally sent me a CAD file before shaping my board, and the board itself turned out exactly as advertised, including the rails and foil. In addition, I was told that the board may take up to 8 weeks because I ordered torsion spring, which is more labor intensive, but the board was delivered less than 3 weeks later.

It was a great ordering experience, and the board itself is flawless.

In terms of Rusty's shaping team, I didn't even ask who would be shaping my board because their roster and QC is impressive.

YMMV, as it does for every custom order of a handcrafted, artisan product.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I know three people that ordered rusty's in the last year. All came as ordered in a very short amount of time with great customer service. My 50 year old buddy rips on his sista brother. 50 years old and riding 26-27 liters.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Really like Rusty's experimentation and open mindedness. His boards really appeal to me, and he seems like a nice, intelligent guy.

If I were in the area, I'd try to build a customer/shaper relationship.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
casa_mugrienta said:
92122 said:
casa_mugrienta said:
And I’m saying all of them should be shaping each model to the developed and tested specs that the team agrees to standardize on, No?

I think Russo shaped my Chew Toy (hand written under the glass) but all the boards have “shaped by R. Preisendorfer” on the stamp graphic with the specs.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
92122 said:
casa_mugrienta said:
92122 said:
casa_mugrienta said:
And I’m saying all of them should be shaping each model to the developed and tested specs that the team agrees to standardize on, No?

I think Russo shaped my Chew Toy (hand written under the glass) but all the boards have “shaped by R. Preisendorfer” on the stamp graphic with the specs.
I dunno how they do it, I just know Rusty isn't the only one designing boards.

For instance Rick Hammon = Heckler , etc.

Similar to CI.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
manbearpig said:
Nice reviews so far.

I really dig the HP twin so it sounds like it's up my alley.

I need to give my CI twin a session or two more, and I think this flatness is making me think too much about boards.
Just my personal opinion here but I’d sell that CI before it takes any more use/damage.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
sd_101 said:
Hammon has been around for a while and came up with a number of their (successful) creations. Why is it bad he shapes under Goth R(dot)?

I’m failing to understand where your complaint is coming in.

Maybe you didn’t “talk to your shaper”?

Rusty has a fantastic IG, too.
Fixed for ya sd101 :cheers:

[

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
sd_101 said:
Hammon has been around for a while and came up with a number of their (successful) creations. Why is it bad he shapes under R(dot)?

I’m failing to understand where your complaint is coming in.

Maybe you didn’t “talk to your shaper”?

Rusty has a fantastic IG, too.

I think it was him that shaped a twin keel fish they had on display at boardroom a few years back that was one of the best looking boards I've ever seen.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Talked with Hammon the last time I was there. He has been working with Rusty since the beginning.

What I'm either disagreeing with or simply don't understand is why "when you have several guys shaping under a label... you never know what to expect."..??.. Any OTR board you buy from Rusty should follow the same specs, no matter which shaper finished it, and come out basically the same from one board to the next.

Am I wrong? :shrug:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I'm saying sometimes a shaper has a certain flavor to their boards that you become familiar with.

When you get a lot of guys with various models under the same label you might get multiple flavors.

i.e.

Sharpeye = Marcio Zouvi designing boards in his style

Rusty = Rusty + 5 other guys designing boards each with their own style

Somehow, via GG's sh!t stirring, this morphed into me making a "complaint".

Some of the boards from the Rusty label I've loved - and I've posted glowing reviews and recommendations here.

I've also spoken up about stuff I've not liked.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Greg Griffin said:
You sh!t on the Happy Too .

These are your posts .

Stirr that too.

I will stir it and you will eat it.

And like it.

Free advertising I did for Rusty:
https://forum.surfer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2944945

The Dwart - I liked it too much
https://forum.surfer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2321760

"Order a Dwart" - me
https://forum.surfer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2935105&page=all

Rusty "Traveler" feelz good - me
https://forum.surfer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2802850

Review of the Slayer 2, where I recommend buying one
https://forum.surfer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2848634

Hows that for sh!t stirring?

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Matt who worked for Eric for 12 years replicated Erics boards daily as he does for Jon now .
Rusty's skilled shapers can and have as well .

When I shaped for Blue Hawaii we all did this for Glen Minami by hand with door planers . :)