Rusty Torsion Spring

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Your pic actually answered my question. Asked a couple Rusty IG accounts if their torsion spring carbon was still that ugly yellow color...but no answer

Reactions: summersurf07

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I posted in another thread that Rusty is licensing the XTR tool for a royalty, so their process for Torsion Spring tech basically mimics XTR, but they build it 100% in-house.

Apparently they had some issues with their first gen Torsion Spring builds so they eventually just agreed to pay XTR a royalty and use their tool / process. They showed me the new and old tool while I was there. It almost looked like a circular hand saw without the blade. Hard to describe only seeing it for a second.

Reactions: JDJ
Oct 1, 2015
I posted in another thread that Rusty is licensing the XTR tool for a royalty, so their process for Torsion Spring tech basically mimics XTR, but they build it 100% in-house.

Apparently they had some issues with their first gen Torsion Spring builds so they eventually just agreed to pay XTR a royalty and use their tool / process. They showed me the new and old tool while I was there. It almost looked like a circular hand saw without the blade. Hard to describe only seeing it for a second.
Yes I saw that post! Thanks for sharing, as that informed my decision. Didn't want a delam, as durability is one of the reasons I looked to XPS. I did try the XTRs first and it was most likley more of a sizing mistake that determined it being too floaty for me. I was a little concerned that Torsion Spring would just be the same as the XTR. Especially since they have their logo, but then read your comment about the tool. Did order thinner and 1 L less. But also thought perhaps the high density blue foam essentially acting as a stringer, as opposed to Torsion stringerless wrapped carbon rails would help it not feel overly buoyant. Probably a different Flex but I'm either not experienced or nuanced enough to tell drastic differences in flex. Thought about doing stringered XTR but eventually settled on Torsion. Curious what others feel with torsion compared to other boards eps, poly, xtr, ect..

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Yes I saw that post! Thanks for sharing, as that informed my decision. Didn't want a delam, as durability is one of the reasons I looked to XPS. I did try the XTRs first and it was most likley more of a sizing mistake that determined it being too floaty for me. I was a little concerned that Torsion Spring would just be the same as the XTR. Especially since they have their logo, but then read your comment about the tool. Did order thinner and 1 L less. But also thought perhaps the high density blue foam essentially acting as a stringer, as opposed to Torsion stringerless wrapped carbon rails would help it not feel overly buoyant. Probably a different Flex but I'm either not experienced or nuanced enough to tell drastic differences in flex. Thought about doing stringered XTR but eventually settled on Torsion. Curious what others feel with torsion compared to other boards eps, poly, xtr, ect..
The feel to me is good and responsive, of course love the durability.

As PU guy all my life this was a first alternative technology board I have owned, my only issue is that it is so light, that for some reason, when I pop up, I sometimes find my foot placement can be a little off and on such a light board I find it is hard to adjust my feet: not sure if it's all the board fault since I'm mostly riding the Rusty Rooster which means larger surf, so that might exacerbate the situation as things are moving fast= steep/late drops, etc.

But when things go as planned it feels great.

Oct 1, 2015
The feel to me is good and responsive, of course love the durability.

As PU guy all my life this was a first alternative technology board I have owned, my only issue is that it is so light, that for some reason, when I pop up, I sometimes find my foot placement can be a little off and on such a light board I find it is hard to adjust my feet: not sure if it's all the board fault since I'm mostly riding the Rusty Rooster which means larger surf, so that might exacerbate the situation as things are moving fast= steep/late drops, etc.

But when things go as planned it feels great.
Welcome to the Darkside! (And I don't mean DarkArts, Which I'm intrigued and holding back strength to not buy). It's interesting that you got a super light Torsion. One of the main reasons I bought mine as HPSB the Model 8, was because I read reviews that they were a little heavier than other Alternative Constructions. Real Mentioned it:

https://www.realwatersports.com/blogs/news/what-is-rusty-torsion-spring-technology#:~:text=The Rusty Torsion Spring has a buttery feel.,and lively throughout its lifespan.

Also felt up a used one and they def seemed a little more solid and heavy compared to other EPS builds I've had. But again thats me coming from mainly EPS boards, If your coming from PU, I can see how they can feel light.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
Welcome to the Darkside! (And I don't mean DarkArts, Which I'm intrigued and holding back strength to not buy). It's interesting that you got a super light Torsion. One of the main reasons I bought mine as HPSB the Model 8, was because I read reviews that they were a little heavier than other Alternative Constructions. Real Mentioned it:

https://www.realwatersports.com/blogs/news/what-is-rusty-torsion-spring-technology#:~:text=The Rusty Torsion Spring has a buttery feel.,and lively throughout its lifespan.

Also felt up a used one and they def seemed a little more solid and heavy compared to other EPS builds I've had. But again thats me coming from mainly EPS boards, If your coming from PU, I can see how they can feel light.
hey-- any feedback on the model 8? thanks

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
I just received my Model 8 today, which Rusty P. shaped. Haven't had a chance to surf it yet, but here are my visual observations.

* For a HPSB, it has a wide nose and a lot of thickness in the nose area of the board all the way to the tip. It reminds me of a 80s foil in the front end of the board. The deck is fairly flat. The rails are round and pretty full.

*The tail is proportionally much more pulled in than the nose, creating a somewhat parralel outline in the front of the board and more curve in the back.

*Light single concave running into a prominent double.

It's a really unique shape for a HPSB. Interesting combination of old school and new school features. Can't wait to surf it!

Last edited:

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
I just received my Model 8 today. Haven't had a chance to surf it yet, but here are my visual observations.

* For a HPSB, it has a wide nose and a lot of thickness in the nose area of the board all the way to the tip. It reminds me of a 80s foil in the front end of the board. The deck is fairly flat. The rails are round and pretty full.

*The tail is proportionally much more pulled in than the nose, creating a somewhat parralel outline in the front of the board and more curve in the back.

*Light single concave running into a prominent double.

It's a really unique shape for a HPSB. Interesting combination of old school and new school features. Can't wait to surf it!
stocked! post some pics homey-- especially a rocker shot if you can

Reactions: Aruka
Sep 2, 2014
gosh, surf industry is often ridiculous, most of constuctions doesnt make much sense, its all about look, not function.
kevlar carbon tape low functional placement, deck - bottom layup doesnt match, using 45 degree glass and claiming it doesnt affect torsion, while thats exactly what its doing and its called torsion spring..
surfboard production is like 20-30 years behing top yachting or aeronautical industry, lots of space for improvement....

Reactions: oeste858 and Lohena

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I don't doubt all of this is correct... but man, who pissed in your cheerios this morning?!?:p
Can't you just let us have this? LOL We need to discuss the merits of 20-30-years-behind board construction techniques! That Torsion Spring is really gonna take my surfing to anotha level! :ROFLMAO:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
gosh, surf industry is often ridiculous, most of constuctions doesnt make much sense, its all about look, not function.
kevlar carbon tape low functional placement, deck - bottom layup doesnt match, using 45 degree glass and claiming it doesnt affect torsion, while thats exactly what its doing and its called torsion spring..
surfboard production is like 20-30 years behing top yachting or aeronautical industry, lots of space for improvement....
Bruh, 90% of surfers still riding composite builds from the 1950s.

Last edited: