Rusty Torsion Spring

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
So, XTR/ Epoxy Pro cancelled my Rusty Heckler order 3 weeks after placing it, saying they parted ways. Their next best thing is Torsion Spring. There's the Real Watersports review, but their reviews are always glowingly positive, to a fault Im sure. Any reviews from y'all?

Reactions: Dick Bananas

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
They're still working it out. This is straight from some guys at Rusty I was chatting up at Camp Shred a couple weeks ago. They were getting some delam issues on the XPS, so they've started to put the pin holes in like XTR. Thats all I got. No idea how they ride.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
I figured it was close to the same foam, since its closed cell and waterproof, like XTR and thats why they ended the partnership.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
MrSteve said:
So, XTR cancelled my Rusty Heckler order 3 weeks after placing it, saying they parted ways. Their next best thing is Torsion Spring. There's the Real Watersports review, but their reviews are always glowingly positive, to a fault Im sure. Any reviews from y'all?
this is interesting and maybe should be in the schroff thread...im sure Javier isnt stoked on rusty importing these boards from asia and basically undercutting him on profit margin when he is the king of XPS foam...

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Bert Berger was capable of doing 4# compsands (balsa over EPS) and many of his riders thought that was too light. He had to add weight. This isn't 2005. You can get PU in the same or very similar density as XPS and completely skip the heat, adhesion and shear vulnerabilities.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Durability is a close second to performance for me. Im not a CT surfer, so i'll gladly take the very slight tradeoff in performance of alt materials over 60+ year old PU 'technology.' Materials have come a long way since that... But I'm not trying to start a PU vs. everything else thread.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
GDaddy said:
Bert Berger was capable of doing 4# compsands (balsa over EPS) and many of his riders thought that was too light. He had to add weight. This isn't 2005. You can get PU in the same or very similar density as XPS and completely skip the heat, adhesion and shear vulnerabilities.
2005 XTR boards are not the same as 2018 XTR boards.

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
Zander said:
MrSteve said:
So, XTR cancelled my Rusty Heckler order 3 weeks after placing it, saying they parted ways. Their next best thing is Torsion Spring. There's the Real Watersports review, but their reviews are always glowingly positive, to a fault Im sure. Any reviews from y'all?
this is interesting and maybe should be in the schroff thread...im sure Javier isnt stoked on rusty importing these boards from asia and basically undercutting him on profit margin when he is the king of XPS foam...
Yeah... that's kinda bullshit from Rusty. I think they are trying to jump the gun on other companies using Extruded foam. Javier has the technology mastered and has been through all the struggles with Extruded foam, so I have a feeling Rusty is going to run into problems with these boards.

I heard Mark Price talking about how a surfboard can only go so far in design, and then it comes down to materials. Which leads me to believe Firewire (or someone else) may start getting into Extruded foam. Obviously it looks like Rusty is already trying to take that next step, but who knows how it will work out for them. That whole process of building a board at XTR seems complicated. ...If anything I think Rusty's efforts might attract more attention to XTR because of them working with Extruded so long. Idk... i just hate to see Javier/XTR struggling to be in this line of business for so long, to then be undermined by someone else.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
jkb said:
GDaddy said:
Lemme put it this way: If Javier is still using thermovents on the decks to offset the outgassing and avoiding dark airbrushes (particularly on the rails) and telling his customers to not let the boards get hotter than it takes to melt the wax and to keep their boards in white or silver board backs to control the heat issues then it's because of the XPS.

And anyone who is trying to compete with Javier with XPS construction is going to have to figure out how to deal with those issues, one way or another.

Don't get me wrong - I like the foam and there's nothing in the way of maintenance and care that Javier suggests that I don't already do with all my boards as a matter of habit. None of it is in any way unreasonable or excessive.
But if someone is in the habit of leaving their board out on the sand all day or throwing their board into the back of their pickup without a bag then that's not a good plan for a board with an XPS core.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
GDaddy said:
jkb said:
GDaddy said:
Lemme put it this way: If Javier is still using thermovents on the decks to offset the outgassing and avoiding dark airbrushes (particularly on the rails) and telling his customers to not let the boards get hotter than it takes to melt the wax and to keep their boards in white or silver board backs to control the heat issues then it's because of the XPS.

And anyone who is trying to compete with Javier with XPS construction is going to have to figure out how to deal with those issues, one way or another.

Don't get me wrong - I like the foam and there's nothing in the way of maintenance and care that Javier suggests that I don't already do with all my boards as a matter of habit. None of it is in any way unreasonable or excessive.
But if someone is in the habit of leaving their board out on the sand all day or throwing their board into the back of their pickup without a bag then that's not a good plan for a board with an XPS core.
Agreed.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Asked them about delam issues... They said they're putting the vent holes in and havent had issues since.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
MrSteve said:
Asked them about delam issues... They said they're putting the vent holes in and havent had issues since.
Well, I was doing boards with them both before and after they started using the vents. He even showed me his branding tool that he was using to do it with. I was among the first of the hydrovent users. Vents or no vents, the only XTR board that didn't eventually delam on either the deck and/or the rails was the board I did for my friend, who actually stuck to the care instructions and did what he was supposed to do. I stuck to the instructions and the boards i did for myself were okay, but my kids weren't so scrupulous. Their boards delamed after a year or so, and then one of them did the same thing to both of my personal boards when he took them to the beach for their friends to use. I repaired them and that was okay but by that time I was moving on to different designs.

Anyways, that's 100% user error, not a mfg defect. The XPS is less forgiving when it comes to heat, so as long as people give their boards a little respect and don't treat them the way kids see the pros do it's all good.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
jkb said:
MrSteve said:
Rusty or XTR?
Asked Rusty

But one thing I was curious about... I got an XTR around X-mas and the only places the vents were, was on the deck in 2 spots: under the front foot and back foot areas. The 2 places covered by wax and pads.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Wax doesn't interfere with the outgassing. I wouldn't assume the same about the pads - which are also of closed cell composition - but then again I don't now the answer to that.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
MrSteve said:
this seems odd given that javier has a patent pending (maybe granted?) process for the thermovents...i wonder why rusty is trying to circumvent this and not just get javier to build these boards and charge accordingly?

deforestcooper

Nep status
Nov 1, 2016
California
www.instagram.com
Rusty sucks!!! Lawyers are expensive and even though Javier has a patented on the technology, if Rusty starts using his thermovent technology, without his consent, he'll still have to spend money and hire an attorney to defend it. I hope Javier doesn't have to go that route to basically take back what he's already works so hard (and long) for.

If this is all true and i'm not misunderstanding i will totally boycott Rusty as a longtime supporter of XTR!

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
It might pay to wait and see how Rusty actually does their boards.

I know one shaper who was rooting around for the higher density XPS to use that they use for freezer and road insulation - he was saying he thought it was more stable and had better bonding properties. He was thinking about glassing them with a single layer of 4oz. Apparently that stuff is extremely difficult to source on the West Coast.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Both Rusty and Javi run good shops. And the products look pretty different too. I'm sure there's a place for both in the market.

Patent cases are super hard to win, especially if your invention is possibly "obvious," like a device that pokes holes in a outgassing blank might be.

There is a world of difference between filing for a patent (which anyone can do for anything they think they've invented), and actually defending that patent (assuming the PTO even issues one) in court. It's essentially the difference between writing a letter to a bank asking for a million dollar loan and actually getting that check in your mailbox.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Do we even know if Rusty is venting? Maybe they're doing the 3-D glassing thing that BUFO was doing. Basically increasing the surface area for bonding.