Rusty - The Keg

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Michael downplays his surfing, but he’s pretty good. He was a standout in the NSSA with sponsors and all that kind of stuff. He rode for Rusty for a while.
:cool: He shreds. Prior to Stab going subscription on their main content I got to read some of his self-deprecating articles and responses to comments - I guess he was trying to pre-empt the usual tough crowd reader comments that online journals such as STAB tend to generate.

More than capable enough to review a surfboard in terms of providing a sufficiently high level of performance to demonstrate the board. Articulate enough to give us some insight into the design features.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
So what leads to a surfer who can put a board on rail to turn off the fins instead?

iirc Jordy had this problem on one of the SITD boards.

Reactions: urchined

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
So what leads to a surfer who can put a board on rail to turn off the fins instead?

iirc Jordy had this problem on one of the SITD boards.
their inability to make that design work, as the saying goes "different strokes for different folks". me thinks it has a lot to do with weight distribution. Had the Chilli Vol 2 that the midget reviewed and loved, worked like :poop: for me. Felt alright backside but frontside it was a turd. rode the Faded 2.0 after and it was a match made in heaven both frontside and backside, paddles extremely well too.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
well, yeah, it clearly doesn’t work for him.

what design element, or combination of them, in conflict with the rider causes this?

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
well, yeah, it clearly doesn’t work for him.

what design element, or combination of them, in conflict with the rider causes this?
the rocker and rail thickness most likely, seems like the two most important aspects of board design

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
So I'm curious, do you feel your own surfing passes this bar? (not trying to be a dick)

Do you have any advice for adult long-time surfers who want to improve this aspect of their surfing? (asking for a friend, obviously ;))
Freeride's surfing does indeed. I've seen him surf at my local and his surfing at solid Lennox is talked about by those who know.
:shaka:

Reactions: Mr J and ehiunno

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
the rocker and rail thickness most likely, seems like the two most important aspects of board design
You’re right. Flat full deck and a backfooted rocker with an atypical foil.

Not at all standard.

My first thought when I saw it was that it was a very different board and probably really hard to surf.

If the tail is thicker too I’d hypothesize they’re trying to help carry speed for a guy who is way too heavy on his back foot.

Last edited:

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
No Downforce , reduction of planing surface for control mostly - keeping it down and in contact at higher speeds -
Greg, you just told me that in other applications concaves were used for the opposite of lift. My definition of the opposite of lift is suction aka downforce/negative lift.

So we just have semantics mixup then. Absolutely flat planing surface keeps it down and in contact with the surface at high speeds which means more control. My chilli grom+ is a high lift lightly concaved flattish rear rocker boar which has on several occasions generated so much lift in bumpy conditions that it has bounced out of the water causing me to fall off. On the other hand my toy step up design is a high rockered close to flat bottom - very subtle concave and dead flat in the rear fin area. The increased rocker is a form of inverted wing - you really opened up my eyes to the role of rocker when combined with a flat bottom, does away with the need for V for control. My toy step up remains nice and engaged even in bumpy open ocean conditions. So we are on the same wavelength after all. Or are we? :D

The F1 spoon wing like all F1 wings is an inverted airfoil - concave side facing up. Convex down. This generates downforce.

F1 rear 'spoon wing' explained - Motorsport Technology

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I just watched the STAB review again. My first viewing was tainted by the negative comments on this thread. Mikey C was surfing it really well, proper turns in the pocket and top to bottom turns plus a damn good tube. Was he aggressively engaging rail and hacking the guts out of the wave like Wade? No, but surfing really well - nice airs too.

However, it was nice to see the boar behaving like I would expect it to with his stature and ability. Even scaling down the boar/body size he doesn't have the same foot pressure to tail area ratio that the very solidly built Wade can achieve.

Plus if its true that it is nowhere as rockered as Wade's, the widish tail combined with tall rails mean its going to skate on the surface which is good for speed in mushy waves - not really Wade's trademark surfing, but a board suitable for all body types in softer waves.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Freeride's surfing does indeed. I've seen him surf at my local and his surfing at solid Lennox is talked about by those who know.
:shaka:
Oh well if that's the case then next time you do a boar review for Beachgrit Freeride why don't you get someone to film you. Sounds like you are more than capable of demonstrating the surfing to illustrate your own words. Part of the appeal of a board review is seeing the reviewer do just that rather than some pro "advertise" it. No need to hire Mitch Parko and put a mask on him!

Reactions: ehiunno

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
No, I haven't.
local surf shop has a few though.

they felt good under my arm, I liked the foil.
Felt like a board that would respond really well to being pushed on rail, aggressively.
Cheers.

Yep, I like the look and sound of them, but fear I'd have to do a lot of squats to keep up with it.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
So anyone else try one? I just came to terms with my addiction of hoarding boards. Just listed 4 of my boards because they were taking up too much space while barely surfing most of them.

My latest shortboard is a concave to vee and it isn't really my thing after surfing it for a few months. I have a 6'8 proton and continually go back to it because it feels so food. I love the single concave through the entire board. So that is why the Keg intrigues me.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 6'6 Keg since there's a $50 off shipping discount running right now. I'm 6'2, 220 so I think the 6'6 will work nicely.