Rusty - Shiv, Hatchet, 419Fish

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Thanks. Didn't they email you about your board/dims?

I just ordered a Rooster [6'3" 33L] and emails have gone back and forth based on the output of the volume calculator and my info; Rusty felt that the calculator was a little high. Actually got an email from Rusty himself, said call him if I wanted to chat, I got the email too late to actually call him. But wow! Blows me away that Rusty is actually reaching out to me to discuss, I'm honored and way impressed by their service! I am ready to dial up a second board, Shiv or Twin fin.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I think in the case of my twin fin the board might actually be the correct liters but because I put the order in online and then specified the flat deck file in the notes they just filled the label out as it looked in the online builder. The flat deck is so different from what I'm used to it's really hard to tell by feel.

Rode my 6-10 PU Blackbird yesterday for the first time in some DOH rights and it felt amazing. I don't know what more to say except it is pretty much exactly what I was hoping it would be, a bigger board that paddles and catches waves really well but can still be surfed top-to-bottom and doesn't feel like a boat.

Been emailing back and forth with the R. man himself on a Shiv and pretty sure we got dims figured out. 6'4" Round tail, torsion sprang and a little color.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
aruka did you go stock dims on your blackbird? Been thinking of selling mine for a bigger one but thought about going narrower than stock if I went up to a 6'10 or so

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Yeah I went 6-10 x 19.5 x 2.75

liters I think is 37-38, will have to double check

i was worried rails would be too fat at such a thick center number but clint thought 2.75 would be good for my weight and he was right.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
yeah the rails are pretty bladey even on my stock 6'4"

Been curious to see how a 6'10 would go. I'm just a pvssy that doesn't ride big waves so I haven't been too motivated.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
that looks nice. the blackbird goes really well as a quad btw. Really helps when chasing closeouts or you need to make some ground on a long wall.

Man we need swell. I miss riding my blackbird.

Reactions: Aruka and sd_101

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Aruka
did you consider a twinzer from Rusty or was it more of a current model straight through XTR?
I thought he was kind of "in" on the twinzer thing
I like the EN template

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Nice ones!!

How does Torsion Spring vs XTR feel?
It feels similar for sure. I think it feels more similar to the SL-CK build than it does to the wood stringered XTR but they all share the same XPS foam I believe so overall they have the same kind of vibe, which I dig.

Aruka
did you consider a twinzer from Rusty or was it more of a current model straight through XTR?
I thought he was kind of "in" on the twinzer thing
I like the EN template
I didn't really consider a twinzer mostly just because I've just been digging pure twins and trying to dial them in. Also I'm not sure I knew Rusty was a twinzer guy but that's good to know, I'd reaaaallly like to try one, never have. I think I was looking at a used CI twin and I messaged todd about it and he was like nah, get dis and sent me a pic of his buddies flat deck Rusty twin and I was like, okay. Hah.

It wasn't the same model as on the Rusty website but more of an off menu thing. The first file they sent had a hard wing and I asked them to soften it and that's about it.

Reactions: need 4 speed

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
I have a Rooster coming, in TorsionSpring, 6'2" 33L and could not help myself with the end of summer sale so ordered the Twin Fin in PU heavy glass 34.4L; not exactly sure why I did the twin fin in PU with heavy glass, vs. TorsionSpring, but just sort of felt right for that board, I'll find out.

Rusty customer service is off the hook if you ask me, got emails from Rusty and a phone call from the crew, absolutely awesome!!!! Sold on Rusty!

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Blackbird is a killer boar. Super solid and predictable and smooth. It handles just about anything I want a piece of but is still fun in waves down in the head high range. For a 6-10 with 37L of volume it's surprisingly nimble and I don't struggle to get my rear foot back on the tail kick as is sometimes the case with longer boards which I think speaks to the balanced nature of the design. Been running the DHD Large fins and feel no need to experiment which for me is unusual. Will probably try it as a quad at some point just out of curiosity.

Flat deck Twin fin has also been feeling really good, just haven't gotten too many sessions on it but I rode it today and it went great. True Ames twins have been feeling good, maybe better than the EN's. Still haven't gotten a solid session of consistent waves to really feel this board out but so far whenever the wave cooperates the board goes great. Torsion Spring construction seems solid so far in all conditions. Handles some bump or offshore's no problem.

Overall I'm super stoked on deez Rusty's.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
I didn't really consider a twinzer mostly just because I've just been digging pure twins and trying to dial them in. Also I'm not sure I knew Rusty was a twinzer guy but that's good to know, I'd reaaaallly like to try one, never have. I think I was looking at a used CI twin and I messaged todd about it and he was like nah, get dis and sent me a pic of his buddies flat deck Rusty twin and I was like, okay. Hah.

Rusty and Glen Minami were making over 100 Twinzers a week when the design was hot - Potts wining on them .

Rusty's interest led to his C5 thruster

A very noticeable time in design

Todd is a major influence on purchases here :)

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Here are my Blackbirds a 6'8 x 19.88 x 2.75 shaped by Rick Hammon and a 7'6 x 20 x 2.88 shaped by Rusty. The 6'8 has a resin tint, which makes it feel super solid and added some weight. In retrospect, I would have ordered the bigger board with the tint and kept the smaller one white, but considering the offshores we deal with in SF, it's not a bad thing for a board that big to have some heft.
IMG_0249.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: encladd and Aruka