Roy's restaurant Hawaii

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
you know it says something when all these chefs when they get off work, like Alan Wong, Roy, Russell Siu all go out to eat together at Sidestreet Inn on Kona Street for their simple food.

Reactions: stringcheese

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Elbows? You're weird
1598040847060.png

:p

Food N' Bev .... has Always ... provided for me in the lower 48 and points East and West and into the South Pacific ... because there was a freedom .... and surf to be had ... Dwash to GM n' in between.
Helped put myself through university by working in the food service industry. From counter/cashier help, to kitchen, to bus boy, janitor, etc

Learn a fair bit about other people (workmates included) in this field of biz.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Good call to wait until tourism is back, I would imagine Roys is currently closed? The place is expensive so the tips will be great, any chance to move to HI jump on it (sorry HI)! Plus you could conceivably transfer and experience all the islands. Bye bye 4/3 and booties and ice cream headaches!

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Appreciate the absence of "fvck off, no vacancy!" That I very much expected :LOL:
I promise not bring any other people with me. And that I'll kill a Californian once I get there and bury him somewhere remote, to even out my Hawaii carbon credits.

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
A year from now...
it might work out for you then if they get a vaccine but who knows. After the 08 crash there was a bit of a reset in the years after and that would have been a good time to move as things picked up again, but this has been a lot worse

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
current projection is it'll take a minimum of 5 years to get back to 2019 levels
till then it'll be slow and more locally driven recovery
how many businesses survive till the end of this year is the question

maybe 40% of the hospitality small businesses may not be around but they don't employ the volumes of employees the bigger businesses do. So it's survivable. Driving prices down with an over abundance of choices will not be something businesses here are looking for.

Reactions: chilly1

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
The Roy's in Newport Beach (closed in 2019, pre-covid) was my younger daughter's first real summer job in high school. She was the greeter and seater, front of the house. She met so many celebs there. Management was great; they even let my wife and me eat there for free with her on her birthday, and made a special personalized cake.

Last edited:

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
FOH. I've worked every spot, all spots simultaneously, for ten years, and been managing for 5 years. With southern Italians, to make things more difficult.
Ideally I just want to wait tables during dinner 5 nights a week. If I have a busser, hostess, I'm good for 12 or more. If I get an expeditor I'll do 20 :shaka:
I'll entertain doing more control work, but managing is...a drag. The money is in the dinner rush *shrug* and I don't like to work more than 30ish hours a week. Lifestyle choice.
I got lucky and mantained my day bartender shifts while I managed thanks to understanding owners. Great place to manage while keeping our regulars stocked. Stupidly left for more money/bigger title at my favorite. A bad owner fucks up every thing. For what it’s worth, went from Severinos to Green Valley Grill. Glad I’m out now. Covid might be the death to in person dining.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
It's full on covid, way too hot, smoky as hell, and I'm watching 50 people do in person dining right now, between three outdoor spots. It will be 100 in an hour. Don't wanna say where, for obvious reasons, but if you know, you know.
For that reason, I predict the opposite, that as soon as lockdowns are called off, everything shoots right back up. People want to go out to eat. Enough of them to fill the best restaurants. Maybe not enough for all restaurants, but there weren't to begin with.