RIP otf???

Groundswell

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 16, 2006
Just woke up tonight from a cold sweat and scrolled thru here to find this. My heart is broken. We'll miss you, Trash Man.

Reactions: huryanpost

diro

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Just saw a text this AM informing me of this news.

FCUK you cancer!

short story:
Although I grew up 6 blocks from the beach, my career had taken me to Atlanta and I hadn't surfed in many years. Around 2001-2002, I got back into surfing, discovered the BB where I had many interactions with OTF aka Kenny. I eventually flew out to Newport Beach in October 2003 where I stayed with Waldo for a week and met Kenny - along with several other BBers - in person. He was awesome and we shared several sessions with him. He even gave some Newport dude crap for getting in my way; he treated me like I had grown up in Newport my entire life! I loved his banter and wit. Mad respect to him for his career and how he grinded while raising 3 hellions in a trailer just blocks from the beach.

Very bummed to hear this news. I can't make the paddle out but know that this East Coast inland donkey pro-ho will be there in spirit.

edit: I'm laughing so hard looking at these old skool BB photos of OTF, especially the comic strip. I have some photos of OTF, I'll try to post later this week of that 2003 trip to Orange County. One of the best surf trips of my life. If there is a GoFundMe page set up, please post it here.

Last edited:

bobsurf

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2003
Blue Oyster Bar
As has been said, Kenny was one of the most giving/caring people I've run across. Even to complete internet strangers. Insisted on paying the $8 parking fee at Huntington the first time we surfed together. Seems insignificant, but totally represented his approach to life. So happy that he was able to see so much of his boys grow and succeed, after his original battle with cancer. That was super gnarly, and many lesser people would have just let it take them at that point. His insane fight delivered 10(?)+ years of fatherhood for his boys. That's a gift.

He left the world a better place than he found it. Cleaning up the physical streets of Newport, and the figurative streets of the internets.

Thanks for the heads up on this, Diro. Crazy little world of friends we made back in the day, Kenny was at the center of it. For those close, please keep us posted on services.

Will miss you, Kenny.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I remember when Groov'n had that first party. Kenny had just had the triplets and was facing a lot of expenses. A collection was taken up. I don't recall the amount, but it was a good chunk of change. Most of us had never met in real life and the party was like a coming together IRL of a substantial portion of the forum.

Anyway, when Kenny was handed the money I remember him looking around at us incredulously with tears in his eyes going, "I can't believe this, you guys don't even know me..."

We knew enough Kenny.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Kenny wouldn't approve of us mourning him. He would probably call us "f*cking p*ssies."

Maybe a more appropriate celebration of his life would be a worldwide toast. Shot (or three) of your favorite beverage. Choose a date.
I have to admit I wanted to respond with some taboo gallows humor.

But I surpressed it for the greiving. :poop:

Does Stuart Lanning Jr know of his passing?

Didn't Kenny give him board?

Reactions: diro and Waldo

liplocked

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 13, 2003
Kamanawna Surfit
This breaks my heart. Kenny was a brother from another mother to me. The day I met him (my neighbor) we spent the next days, years, deacades surfing RJ, 56th, and around just about every morning together. 5:30am Ide get the knock on my bedroom window to signal "lets get going. Didnt faze him that I was a middle aged chick with so so surf skillz. He didnt care if it might seem uncool to paddle out with me-he was my brother and I became his sister. I cant even explain how wonderful it was for me--he encouraged me to charge n drop in on the biggest sets. I got better n better because of him.. I can hear him right now yelling to me " PADDLE HARD sistah-go for it!" on big low tide sets..and of course I would. 1/2 the time getting totally pitched (hence my erbb handle) but no way was I NOT going to paddle hard when my brother calls me out I loved it! I was married...he was married... and both our spouses saw our special friendship as healthy and rare. It was good for the both of us to be such surf buds. I absouletly LOVE KEnny and had so many laughs, shared surf stories, and good times. I also saw so much pain and struggle thru his cancer years. I can't tell you the moments where we sat together in tears while he said "good-by to me" thinking it was over, just too hard, too much pain, and me telling him to
"Paddle HARD kENNY for your boys..dont give up"....well that man paddled harder thru life than most. hHe gave his boys many more years toghetherfrom his PADDLING HARD so they could learn what a decent man is--he taught them well. good on ya Kenny. Love ya man. I hope there are barelling waves in Heaven for ya---own that lineup. Yur forever in my heart. Lippy - out

Waldo

Duke status
Jan 24, 2002
Shangri-La
I am gutted. I saw the news early this morning and felt absolutely devastated for Kenny, his family, and his many, many friends (and trolls) who will miss him. But I'm also smiling at the outpouring of love and respect, and the classic stories that could only be about Kenny. If ever there was a person who deserved a celebration of life, rather than a memorial, it's Kenny.

When I first surfed with Kenny I was intimidated by his tough-as-nails exterior, but it didn't take long for his heart of gold to shine through. It also didn't take long to see that he had an incredible energy and passion for life, family, and surfing. He literally paddled circles around me, and always seemed to be in the right spot for the best wave, and he managed to make an average wave look like the best. That seems like a pretty good analogy for his life.

When I surfed with Kenny, as he was getting six waves to every one I got, he'd shout me into waves, yelling "Go, Waldo, Go!" It never failed that every time he did that, I'd go OTF like a total kook, and he'd be laughing all the way. Man, I'll miss that laugh, and his incredible spirit. Rip in peace, my friend.

Last edited:

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
Dammmmmm, never called you uncle but you were. As a father and fellow asshole so much love to your family. Same problems different asshole.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Kenny wouldn't approve of us mourning him. He would probably call us "f*cking p*ssies."

Maybe a more appropriate celebration of his life would be a worldwide toast. Shot (or three) of your favorite beverage. Choose a date.
Maybe he'd call us that but later that night think it was nice of us (but deny it)?

How about a date and a time...you know, so the rest of us can embrace the solidarity thing better? Doesn't have to on Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), I'll settle for:

A Before/during church services about the evils of drink
B Before driving a school bus of other people's kids to a gravel pit
C Before/after/during surfing
D After sex or before following Tyrez cartoon Dr's prescription
E Some other time

:drowning:

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
This may have been the saddest thing I've ever read on this forum. My condolences to his family and friends.

Dude was a legend on so many levels and this place will never be the same without him. If the erBB were to have a Mount Rushmore, it's safe to say that Kenny's mug would firmly be in place up there.

RIP KC