RIP Derek and David "Hawaiian" Kalama.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
2 ... Ben is still going ...
My younger brother David "Hawaiian" Kalama passed yesterday in his sleep. He was the Mayor of Haleiwa and part of the blue tarp crew and surfed Ali'i Beach Park and Avalanche with a passion. He did the Lords work in Mexico and the Philippines and married a girl from there. He later moved to Italy where his wife worked. He had been home for a few months when he passed yesterday morning at his church in Haleiwa. Military burial at Scholfield Barracks as he was a Viet Nam vet.

Ho'oman'o ~ Forever remembered

Last edited:

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
2 .... Ben still can go!
My younger brother David Kalama passed yesterday in his sleep. He was the Mayor of Haleiwa and rode Ali'i Beach and Avalanche with a passion. He did the Lords work in Mexico and the Philippines and married a girl from there. He later moved to Italy where his wife worked. He had been home for a few months when he passed yesterday morning at his church in Haleiwa. Military burial at Scholfield Barracks as he was a Viet Nam vet.

"Hawaiian"
Sorry for your loss Peter. Sounds like he had a life well lived

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
My younger brother David "Hawaiian" Kalama passed yesterday in his sleep. He was the Mayor of Haeliwa and part of the blue tarp crew and surfed Ali'i Beach Park and Avalanche with a passion. He did the Lords work in Mexico and the Philippines and married a girl from there. He later moved to Italy where his wife worked. He had been home for a few months when he passed yesterday morning at his church in Haleiwa. Military burial at Scholfield Barracks as he was a Viet Nam vet.

Truly was the "Mayor" of Alii Beach Park. A positive influence on so many lives. RIP.

Last edited:
Reactions: john4surf

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
My younger brother David "Hawaiian" Kalama passed yesterday in his sleep. He was the Mayor of Haeliwa and part of the blue tarp crew and surfed Ali'i Beach Park and Avalanche with a passion. He did the Lords work in Mexico and the Philippines and married a girl from there. He later moved to Italy where his wife worked. He had been home for a few months when he passed yesterday morning at his church in Haleiwa. Military burial at Scholfield Barracks as he was a Viet Nam vet.

Our hearts go out to you Uncle Peter. Your brother was such a huge influence on so many people, and he was a true institution at the beach park and a hero to so many. He was a perfect example of someone who made the world a better place, and he will be missed.

I think people saw photos of your brother surfing Haleiwa with the caption "Hawaiian" and thought it was Ben. They had the same keg physique and that beautiful Hawaiian style.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

Really sorry to hear about your loss, Peter. It sounds like he lived a life full of love, stock, and passion, surrounding everyone with that joy, and I can't think of a better way to be remembered.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
sorry for your loss Peter
They used to say Earl was the mayor but "hawaiian" and his snow white beard with the blue tent crew was such a fixture he just took over the place with his presence. "Hawaiian" always brought a smile to everyone's face out there kind of like the Rell Sunn of Ali'i. And this was before the tv show built the big center there.
The whole northshore from wailua to laie must be grieving big time.
Two favorite sons on the same day.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
PPK, sorry for your loss of your brother. my heart goes out to you and the ohana. And sorry about the mix up about Uncle Ben. It circulated wildly earlier today.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Yo PPK

Nuestro más sentido pésame.

Esperemos qué tú hermano sigue disfrutando la ola eterna.

:waving: