RIP Derek and David "Hawaiian" Kalama.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
RIP to both surfers, and many condolences to their families.

And PPK, even though we've never met, you're part of this funny little on-line community, and if one member of a community hurts, everyone feels it. Hang in there, bro.

Last edited:

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
2 ... Ben is still going ...
My younger brother David "Hawaiian" Kalama passed yesterday in his sleep. He was the Mayor of Haleiwa and part of the blue tarp crew and surfed Ali'i Beach Park and Avalanche with a passion. He did the Lords work in Mexico and the Philippines and married a girl from there. He later moved to Italy where his wife worked. He had been home for a few months when he passed yesterday morning at his church in Haleiwa. Military burial at Scholfield Barracks as he was a Viet Nam vet.

Ho'oman'o ~ Forever remembered
Full Military Honors. They always choked me up knowing what it represents.

My Condolences PPK, Thank you and your Kin for positive and enlightening thinking in this world.

• Love
Reactions: PPK96754 and Chocki

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Mahalo Nui Loa Everyone for your kind words. It's much appreciated. Just a wee back story. Some of us from our immediate family were adopted. Just too many kids. My brothers David and Nathan were adopted by a very staunch, religious man and both brothers carried on with that and taking the name of Kalama. The house and church was across from Ali'i Beach Park. in Haleiwa. They also lived on the south shore on the Island of Kauai briefly with the church being there main goal.

Without going into more detail and a bit of confusion (truly) I later, finally got the opportunity in meeting my brothers and sister as a teenager. We've been scattered around throughout Hawaii and the West Coast. A brother in Seattle, a brother in the San Francisco area, Daly City, a sister in Sacramento, a brother in Orange County. A sister on Oahu and my brother Nathan here on Kauai. A total of 5 brothers & sister have passed before us. Yes, quite the large family so, some of us got farmed out.

Ohana (Family) is everything. Just like the erBB. We bicker, poke fun at each other, nit pick and yet, in the end, reach out when things get a bit rough and scattered for another. You All, have done that as Ohana for this place that we call the "erBB" and I as one, am truly grateful for your friendship and support.
Hug Your kid's. Tell the Wife or your Husband ya Love em. Life can be short. Make the best of it.
Love and Aloha from Kauai's north shore ~
Peter :waving:

Last edited:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
that's what i was wondering
David Kalama, Laird Hamilton's one time tow partner on Maui is OK. David is the Son of Ilima Kalama who was the Huntington Beach Surf Contest Champion in 1962. David "new" adventure has been Foiling in open ocean waters. "kuno" (from the erBB) has been Davids biggest fan and promoter and Friend. Ilima and David both reside on the Island of Maui.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
David Kalama, Laird Hamilton's one time tow partner on Maui is OK. David is the Son of Ilima Kalama who was the Huntington Beach Surf Contest Champion in 1962. David "new" adventure has been Foiling in open ocean waters. "kuno" (from the erBB) has been Davids biggest fan and promoter and Friend. Ilima and David both reside on the Island of Maui.
that's who i was thinking of, and i only know of him from some epic surf flicks like Riding Giants and some live commentary from contests. my sincere condolences on your loss.

Reactions: PPK96754

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
I had good fun surfing with Derek and the disscusions about his boards etc .

I could write more detail .

I do want to say Bret had a very hard and rewarding job handshaping all those Perfect Lines boards under the Ho's strict design requirements , many computer heros today would have given up or never started making boards in the same situation .

Good job Bret !

Last edited:

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
Mahalo Nui Loa Everyone for your kind words. It's much appreciated. Just a wee back story. Some of us from our immediate family were adopted. Just too many kids. My brothers David and Nathan were adopted by a very staunch, religious man and both brothers carried on with that and taking the name of Kalama. The house and church was across from Ali'i Beach Park. in Haleiwa. They also lived on the south shore on the Island of Kauai briefly with the church being there main goal.

Without going into more detail and a bit of confusion (truly) I later, finally got the opportunity in meeting my brothers and sister as a teenager. We've been scattered around throughout Hawaii and the West Coast. A brother in Seattle, a brother in the San Francisco area, Daly City, a sister in Sacramento, a brother in Orange County. A sister on Oahu and my brother Nathan here on Kauai. A total of 5 brothers & sister have passed before us. Yes, quite the large family so, some of us got farmed out.

Ohana (Family) is everything. Just like the erBB. We bicker, poke fun at each other, nit pick and yet, in the end, reach out when things get a bit rough and scattered for another. You All, have done that as Ohana for this place that we call the "erBB" and I as one, am truly grateful for your friendship and support.
Hug Your kid's. Tell the Wife or your Husband ya Love em. Life can be short. Make the best of it.
Love and Aloha from Kauai's north shore ~
Peter :waving:
Condolences to you and your family Peter.