Rickoray

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
from denise, 2 days ago. (sorry, i got busy)

Hello all. This is day 17 for Rick’s Rick Erkeneff @ricko_ray and rehab for the brain aneurysm he suffered. He is still in critical but stable condition and every day has brought family and his huge amount of friends better news than the previous day. We are hoping to have him awaken soon. That process is gentle, slow and tenuous. That said I’ve decided w his medical staff that after tonight 630pm visit hours is limited to immediate family for the next week or so as he slowly begins the next phase. Please keep sending prayers and thoughts that make such a huge difference to us and to me because I read everything to him and I believe he hears us!

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
from denise, 2 days ago. (sorry, i got busy)

Hello all. This is day 17 for Rick’s Rick Erkeneff @ricko_ray and rehab for the brain aneurysm he suffered. He is still in critical but stable condition and every day has brought family and his huge amount of friends better news than the previous day. We are hoping to have him awaken soon. That process is gentle, slow and tenuous. That said I’ve decided w his medical staff that after tonight 630pm visit hours is limited to immediate family for the next week or so as he slowly begins the next phase. Please keep sending prayers and thoughts that make such a huge difference to us and to me because I read everything to him and I believe he hears us!
Thanks. Charge it Rick!&

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Lulu posted this, last night:

'Hi Everyone!

My dad is still doing well!

I know I haven't been updating as much as he's now off the sedatives and waking up slowly :)

We've seen awesome progress but just one day at a time, little by little.

Thank you for all your continued messages and support' :love::love::love:
Best thing I have read all day! That’s great news

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Update from Pam
Hi friends and family-
The evening of Feb 20th, Rick had a severe headache so bad he asked Denise to call
9-1-1 immediately. Within minutes he lost consciousness and the paramedics rushed him to the trauma unit, followed by surgery then straight to ICU in a medical coma.
Rick suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm which caused a major hemorrhage in the brain, and he is now in a battle for his life.

Currently, a loving group of family and friends are at Rick’s bedside daily…
Sending positive vibes and sharing stories.

We are starting this GFM to help Rick and his family with medical bills, loss of work, and recovery needed for this marathon ahead. There will be several more surgeries, scans, physical therapy, and follow up care.

He has had a few procedures—the aneurysm is secure and he has had a few angiograms as well as ventricle drains put in place. He has been in SICU in a medically induced coma for a week now to allow the brain time to heal as there is still swelling as well as other symptoms associated with the bleed. The goal over the next few days is to get through the swelling, so he will be in the induced coma for another week, then the doctors will try to start waking him up.

Thank you for all the love and support given to Rick and his family.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Update from Pam
Update on Rick 3/20:

Hi,
I am on the way to the hospital today. Exactly one month after Rick's aneurysm.

He is still in the SICU at Mission Hospital receiving excellent care despite all the hiccups.

Last Thurs/Friday docs and nurses worked 1-1 on his coming out of induced coma and getting moving to the extent he can with his delicate condition. He was responding to a few jokes, people, squeezing our hand and giving thumbs up and following direction with his eyes. Over the weekend docs and I noticed that although he is weening off the ventilator 100% of each day and night, AND
getting moving on a stationery bike for a few hours at a time (much like pilates they do for him in the bed), that he was getting less responsive.

Yesterday, Tuesday morning, neurosurgeon ordered a CT scan which showed some fluid build in the left ventricular area. So, Dr. Rao and team suggested immediate
surgery yesterday for a shunt to help fluids drain from there into the stomach. That surgery was successful, so we try and keep moving onward and upward to 100% goal of rehabilitation. That will involve him stabilizing and then moving at some point near to a long term acute facility that can work with ventilator (pulmonary)
and his neuro/brain needs.

I will know more today and will update then. Thanks to everyone who have texted, called, messaged, sent cards and meal cards and contributed to his go fund me.

-D, Lulu and Emma
——————————

peace and love to Rick, Lulu and all of their family
without challenges in life, it’s not possible to show how strong and resilient a person is
they are proving how strong and resiliant they are every minute of every day
<intenet hugs>
gofund me link, in case it’s too buried in this thread
Go fund me for Rickoray

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
heres the latest positive update from the go fund me page
Update on Rick 3/23:

Hi Everyone. This is a happy Saturday!

Rick graduated from the SICU last night and moved into a long term acute care hospital (not a nursing facility) in Orange County.

I will be meeting with his lead MD and get briefed on the team today. They are highly recommended by his neuro and pulmonary team from Mission Hospital.
The location he is at is the ONE they all wanted him to get accepted and he is.

First order of business is rehab for the ventilator to be the next thing that gets removed from his needs. And of course
all the other neuro rehab protocols for getting him moving/mobile, speaking, etc...basically learning everything again.

We hope to not stay very long at this acute care facility, but there are no guarantees on timelines. Many of you ask, "how long?"
We don't have a clue, other than his ability to check boxes off each and every day. I know he has the fight and might, so I am
hopeful it will be sooner than later.

Then we will be progressing to a neuro specialized facility once we get him off the ventilator (life) support and strong enough to graduate from acute care. Again, no timelines and no clue when but that is the 3rd step in getting Rick back to 100%. Please, prayers up for him and continued thanks to all of you pulling for him. It has and will make a difference.

-D, Lulu and Emma

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
maybe sometimes it is
but that’s such a judgement call

im psyched for the progress ricks at least the way I’m interpreting the public messages
he’s come a long way

i think hope and positivity is so important
celebrate the progress and look forward to more!