RETURN OF THE QUAD

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Now I'm always hesitant to jump on my quads cuz dialing in the fins is such an expensive pain in the ass
Which takes us back to the t(h)ruster.

The most reliable thing out there.

Seems twins and quads are a moneypit of various fin combos if this place is any indication. 95% of shapers can't even seem to match the fins with the board, or don't even try.

Waves are scarce for most of us average joes. I'm lucky enough to get more time than most in the water and still no way do I have sessions/time to waste trying to dial in a bunch of different fin setups.

Reactions: MathDebater

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
no way do I have sessions/time to waste trying to dial in a bunch of different fin setups.
This is a construct in your head and it's where we differ.

I find it fun experimenting with different boards and fins.......getting different feelz than I wouldn't otherwise get on a thruster.

I still have those thrusters for when I want that predictability, but I find myself pulling out the wildcards more often because they are a challenge and more rewarding once you figure them out.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
This is a construct in your head and it's where we differ.

I find it fun experimenting with different boards and fins.......getting different feelz than I wouldn't otherwise get on a thruster.

I still have those thrusters for when I want that predictability, but I find myself pulling out the wildcards more often because they are a challenge and more rewarding once you figure them out.
Muscle memory doesn't work that way for me.

Reactions: jkb

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
the flipside is that i've hated some boards as a thruster but once switching to a quad they've become my go-to boards. The Pyzel Phantom in particular. I didn't dig it as a thruster but riding it as a quad is magical for me.

So I'm all about the 5-fin setups!

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
Which takes us back to the t(h)ruster.

The most reliable thing out there.

Seems twins and quads are a moneypit of various fin combos if this place is any indication. 95% of shapers can't even seem to match the fins with the board, or don't even try.

Waves are scarce for most of us average joes. I'm lucky enough to get more time than most in the water and still no way do I have sessions/time to waste trying to dial in a bunch of different fin setups.
For the most part, I agree with you. I generally know what thruster set to throw in to make a board feel good. With my twins, maybe I've gotten lucky, but the one and only fin set I've thrown in has felt extremely positive.

With both thrusters and twins, once I have a magic fin set, I can pretty much switch them between boards and they feel great. First session on my latest shortboard twin and it was the best feeling ever. Pretty similar to a thruster but with way more speed and way more dynamic. No getting used to the fin set, no adjusting my style to fit the fin, no weird bogs happening. This rarely happens to me with quads though-- certain turns will feel good, others will feel awkward, takes trial and error, especially with the rears, and it's a money pit with how expensive fins are now.

I have a pretty much new quad hanging out in my garage I always want to ride, but it hasn't felt like a magic board yet. I think it could be with the right fin set, but I ain't got time (or money) for all that. Maybe I'll bring it out next time there's some energy to push off of, but I'm much more likely to grab something that I know will work.

Reactions: MathDebater

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC
I love quads n ride em in everything except at a couple spots around here that are short and intense-n end up out running the wave. Really only time I’ the thruster thing

Some observations:

They are the most finicky to set up as a “magic board”

Very sensitive to fin changes, much more so than thrusters.
Can go from a dud to stud w a fin change.

Rears on the rails vs closer to the stringer are very different feeling

For long/deep barrels they’re the best IMO- they’ll let you “float” over the foam ball, fast of course, and able to hold/keep a very high line in der barrel as well.
I concur with SwallowTail. It made sense to me to straight to Stretch and trust him with all the details. Since the 2006 I have had a couple of F4's, 2x4's, Buzzsaw's, G-Buzz, Super Buzz, and Mr. Buzz and when I have it set up with Stretch's quad set for the board they were the best quads. Cuts down on time and money to go to one who knows. Oddly, if they had a thruster center box they worked well as thrusters. The difference is that Stretch's quads (except ST3 fin template) are pretty small. When I ride a thruster I like larger fins. When I ride a Stretch quad in better waves I like his ST2 which is a smaller front.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I concur with SwallowTail. It made sense to me to straight to Stretch and trust him with all the details. Since the 2006 I have had a couple of F4's, 2x4's, Buzzsaw's, G-Buzz, Super Buzz, and Mr. Buzz and when I have it set up with Stretch's quad set for the board they were the best quads. Cuts down on time and money to go to one who knows. Oddly, if they had a thruster center box they worked well as thrusters. The difference is that Stretch's quads (except ST3 fin template) are pretty small. When I ride a thruster I like larger fins. When I ride a Stretch quad in better waves I like his ST2 which is a smaller front.
Stretch def has it dialed in.

over finning quads is common, likely a contributor to people not digging them.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I watched the whole of this video and towards the end (44:00) he gets a comment from Tom Carroll then he goes, "I'm going to make this a quad. Thank you Tom, made me think to try this as a quad."

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyzelsurfboards

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Muscle memory doesn't work that way for me.
Perhaps you're not giving it enough of a chance?

I was the same way too. Only rode my thruster. Only rode 1 board in all conditions. I enjoyed that at the time.

And it's cool, you're entitled to ride what you want, when you want.

All I'm saying is that it might change for you at some point where you hit a wall with the thruster and don't feel like you're progressing any further. That can get pretty boring and maybe you find something sparky in another alt set-up some day.

Looking back, I do wish I experimented with other boards sooner. I think it would have made me a better all around surfer. I envy guys like Curren, Rasta, Josh Kerr, Burch, (and others) who can hop on any board and rip. They have more of a lasting legacy to me than someone just known for ripping a pointy thruster.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Used a new board this morning as a thruster. It was pretty great. That said, I felt I could go a hair faster when needed if it were a quad. I'll try that this afternoon. #humblebrag #hurricanekayfuckingrules

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Quads have always been my favorite fin setup based on the waves I surf most. Learned to surf on an oversized Mitsven quad fish. Twin plus trailer a close second, been having fun on that setup in various boards the last 1-2 years. Thruster feels reliable when in waves bigger/punchier than my norm. As far as pure twins, the best ones I've ridden have been a Zippifish with Lokbox keels, an R. Twin Fin with upright fiberglass fins, and currently my 6'6 Moonstone with honeycomb keels.

Mar 7, 2018
I have a pretty much new quad hanging out in my garage I always want to ride, but it hasn't felt like a magic board yet. I think it could be with the right fin set, but I ain't got time (or money) for all that. Maybe I'll bring it out next time there's some energy to push off of, but I'm much more likely to grab something that I know will work.

Mar 7, 2018
Apologies, inebriated fingers. This is how I feel about the quad i also have hanging in the rafters. It goes good but is just a little less reliable than the thruster I have for similar conditions. Having said that, I do get a bigger buzz from riding it…….

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
in ya'lls opinion what would the difference be between good quad fin placement and the sub optimal 5-fin setups? are the front fins of a "good" quad placement placed further forward or backward than thruster front fins?

i've had a few boards that worked great as both quad and thruster (mostly stamps) but plenty that definitely felt good as thrusters and not great as quads.
Quads (for everyday waves) are a modification of a twin fin.

Quads (for barrels) area modification of a thruster.

They’re two different things.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
If I lived somewhere the waves were a little bit peakier or a little bit less flat-faced, I might be inclined to agree about just riding a thruster. When we get a run of fun surf with decent sandbar condition sometimes I'll go through a phase where I ride one thruster like a Baby Buggy in everything.

But quads get down the line better than thrusters and really help in weaker surf with a tendency to close out vs conditions that are more bowly/peaky and allow for unrushed pace.

Sorting the fins out takes some trial and error but I didn't think it was that rough. I think there's way too many 50/50 and 70/30 etc quad rears. I am sure those are very useful for your 9'6" quad at Mavs and Kelly's 5'6" quad at DOH Cloudbreak.

IMHO For the average surfer who wants a bit more zip out of each pump in sub-par thigh to stomach high surf, the flat-foiled trailers are the way and the light.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
in ya'lls opinion what would the difference be between good quad fin placement and the sub optimal 5-fin setups? are the front fins of a "good" quad placement placed further forward or backward than thruster front fins?

i've had a few boards that worked great as both quad and thruster (mostly stamps) but plenty that definitely felt good as thrusters and not great as quads.
Quads (for everyday waves) are a modification of a twin fin.

Quads (for barrels) area modification of a thruster.

They’re two different things.
I have no idea about the rears or fronts further forward or further backwards, but to Duffy's point, the rears set out wide towards the rail I thought/read was for your grovel quad fish, and the round pins with the rears set a bit closer to the stringer is more of a good wave setup, I think it's McKee placement or some such.

In addition to placement, I think fin cant varies somewhat and plays into these five box setups' feeling as thruster vs quad.

Reactions: SixtyGrit and Aruka