Retiring In Centro

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
I'll be in CR (Playa Grande/Tamarindo) with my family for a month over the summer. Will have a rented full sized 4x4...curious what I should expect as far as police and tickets/bribes in that zone. Should I argue and ask for the ticket? Or just try and slide them $20? I sure aint paying $100 bribes...
Do the La Leona waterfall tour -- fun family adventure for sure.

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
I'll be in CR (Playa Grande/Tamarindo) with my family for a month over the summer. Will have a rented full sized 4x4...curious what I should expect as far as police and tickets/bribes in that zone. Should I argue and ask for the ticket? Or just try and slide them $20? I sure aint paying $100 bribes...
Costa Rica and Mexico are not the same. Pay the fine, unless you enjoy risk taking.

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
got pulled over driving back to the airport after a week in northern nica, just me in the shuttle - shuttle driver told me these guys were serious and not to offer to bribe em, they went through everything, boards - clothes - bars of wax - unpacked all my stuff on the side of the road and were genuinely bummed I wasnt smuggling any drugs. Sucked to repack it all right there in a rush to make my plane.
Coulda been Jersey.

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Think seriously about long term rental or lease unless you’re planning to spend the majority of your time (10 months/year) there and are a diy Spanish speaker.
Check y check

maybe 9 months a year. 3 months traveling and spending sometime on the south shore in early fall

we will probably always have a foot in the us, even if we eventually sell our Long Beach home. buy something small for those one or two month visits “home”

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Ya I've had about a half dozen of those kinds of trips to Costa and all over Mex 15-20 years ago...haven't been down that way in a while and will have the whole family unit this time, not too worried about it. Thanks for the input!

Follow up question, I am finally in a place in my life financially that purchasing some dirt in Centro is actually possible...best places to look these days?
while you are in Guanacaste, check out any of those funky little local or expats seaside villages and towns

Nosara is all million dollar homes now but I think some of the more rustic and simple areas north of there along that whole coast can still be affordable to buy land. And anywhere in that zone is SO close to Liberia airport is a cake walk to fly into. Maybe see a broker or grab a few pages of listings as you cruise around exploring and surfing.

look just north and just south of tamarindo, haven’t been in years so maybe it has gone ballistic, but there were big stretches of coast with little or no development, and plenty of surf

you’ll see it first hand soon enough! I‘m actually curious to hear the report on that region as far as real estate and prices etc

I love Nicaragua and land is far cheaper, and there is also fantastic and consistent surf. Gotta be a little more comfortable with the insecurity surrounding the Murillo/Ortega clan still desperately and pathetically holding on to “power”

but that beef is the people versus that “ruling”family and their goons. doesn’t mean chit doesn’t get weird sometimes, but, nothing NEARLY as gnarly as May of 2020, Jan 6th, etc… We drove through some burning tire fire barricades and waved to masked men carrying homemade hand held mortars. Never felt particularly threatened. They waved right back and then put the burning tires back in place as we drove past.

Reactions: EntropyFletch

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
while you are in Guanacaste, check out any of those funky little local or expats seaside villages and towns

Nosara is all million dollar homes now but I think some of the more rustic and simple areas north of there along that whole coast can still be affordable to buy land. And anywhere in that zone is SO close to Liberia airport is a cake walk to fly into. Maybe see a broker or grab a few pages of listings as you cruise around exploring and surfing.

I love Nicaragua and land is far cheaper, and there is also fantastic and consistent surf. Gotta be a little more comfortable with the insecurity surrounding the Murillo/Ortega clan still desperately and pathetically holding on to “power”

but that beef is the people versus that “ruling”family and their goons. doesn’t mean chit doesn’t get weird sometimes, but, nothing NEARLY as gnarly as May of 2020, Jan 6th, etc… We drove through some burning tire fire barricades and waved to masked men carrying homemade hand held mortars. Never felt particularly threatened. They waved right back and then put the burning tires back in place as we drove past.
We bought a hectare of land for 40k in 1998. That’s $4usd/square meter if you’re counting. There’s a “development” bordering on us with 20
X 50 lots selling for 100k and up. Houses, some completed, some under various stages of construction, where the owners are looking at an additional 300 to 600k in construction costs. Before furnishing and maintenance. From there to the point, approximately 600 liner meters, has mostly been sold. All of the beachfront floods and is unsuitable for building any kind of residence. Fenced parking places. No public services. None. Cero.

We got 15 good years where our closest neighbor was on the other side of the river, a click and a half away. (Carlos Alberto Rósales Mendoza, google him for a good time). Everyone that showed up, no matter who they were, was a visitor. And well received for the most part.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Just don't paddle across the estero between Tamarindo and Grande. Probably goes without saying? (cocodrillos)

Reactions: menobrah and Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
We bought a hectare of land for 40k in 1998. That’s $4usd/square meter if you’re counting. There’s a “development” bordering on us with 20
X 50 lots selling for 100k and up. Houses, some completed, some under various stages of construction, where the owners are looking at an additional 300 to 600k in construction costs. Before furnishing and maintenance. From there to the point, approximately 600 liner meters, has mostly been sold. All of the beachfront floods and is unsuitable for building any kind of residence. Fenced parking places. No public services. None. Cero.

We got 15 good years where our closest neighbor was on the other side of the river, a click and a half away. (Carlos Alberto Rósales Mendoza, google him for a good time). Everyone that showed up, no matter who they were, was a visitor. And well received for the most part.
We bought 3,000 sq meters in the center of Santa Teresa, across from la Lora and one of the main peaks of that whole stretch of beach. It is the last untouched road front lot, goes 120 meters up the gentle hill, covered by mature non producing old mango trees. We paid $100k in 2005. We are in the (sluggish) last couple of months of closing the sale of the land….

18 years of growth and exploding popularity and we have the last little virgin lot. I’m a small kine owner but it’s better than a sharp stick in the eye. I also get 1% for “managing” the whole thing for these last 18 years, plus “the company” owes me about 20k in taxes, bills, lawyers fees, and countless other expenses I covered in the last 15 years or so.

My partners were all out west in those early years making money growing weed, so they couldn’t pay bills out of the country very easily :foreheadslap: :jamon:

and before anyone worries subway is gonna get subway’d by his long time partners, subway has sole power of attorney now To execute the sale.

Anyway it’s not instant retirement money, but enough to maybe invest in something else down there. Or just keep the cash and stash it index style for 20 years

Or, of course….hookers and blow? It IS Costa Rica after all, and I’ll be in San Jose for the closing and reason to celebrate afterwards. I’d have to include my wife, but thats not a deal breaker for her (minus the blow, we‘re long past that) :dancing:

EntropyFletch

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 20, 2006
San Diego
Just don't paddle across the estero between Tamarindo and Grande. Probably goes without saying? (cocodrillos)
Have heard that and was curious if that is a real threat. How's the fishing in that rivermouth zone? My 10 year old loves to surf but my 13 year old doesnt and is a big fisherman, so plan to spend lots of time fishing from the beach as well.

Reactions: keenfish

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
Have heard that and was curious if that is a real threat. How's the fishing in that rivermouth zone? My 10 year old loves to surf but my 13 year old doesnt and is a big fisherman, so plan to spend lots of time fishing from the beach as well.
First time I did it was with my then 16 year old daughter. We had paddled across and walked to grande, then on the way back we are 20 -30 ft from shore and tells me she can't make it. She was a beginner then and was out of gas. I jumped off my board and dragged her and her board the rest of the way. That was the only time I felt the croc fear. Paddled across dozens of times since. I just make haste.

One time I was surfing the north side of the river mouth, caught a long right and decided to just paddle for the south side of the river. Mistake, as the tide was going out and the paddle took forever. Gassed.

There was that guy who had his leg removed by a croc while surfing the river mouth, but if you dwell on that stuff, it takes all the fun out of it. Never seen anyone catch a fish there, but I don't live there.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
The only time I closely checked the river was in 1999 in early March (Spring Break) in the dry season. It would have had to be teeming with crocs to be any worry; a three year old in water wings could have swam it and anyone over 5 feet tall could have quickly waded it. Water was plenty clear. Rainy season it might be a drastically different story.

In 2002 I caught some jack crevalle, toro in Mexico, off the rock outcropping at Langosta, just around the corner. If you get some kastmasters and launch them off an exposed rock outcropping and take care not to get them hung up, you might get something. Might try a sabiki rig to see if you can catch live bait if that's more the speed.