Retiring In Centro

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Besides the OC Ogre, anyone currently retired or planning retirement in Centro? I've heard Panama has some good incentives, and El Sal is starting to get on board.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I always wanted to explore the Pacific coast islands of Panama. The ones where there was that wicked janky surf camp bitd

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
I used to like blow occasionally if I was going to be out drinking all night at the nightclub or something -- just to keep the motor running I never understood the compulsion to do it all the phucking time. seems like a particular personality type is attracted to that sh!t.

Reactions: Chocki

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Besides the OC Ogre, anyone currently retired or planning retirement in Centro? I've heard Panama has some good incentives, and El Sal is starting to get on board.
Retiring somewhere better than Florida has been the life plan and in the 90s every kid in Florida was thinking of Central America. Fast forward 25 years and 25 surf trips later. Central America is crowded and seasonal. Some of these places the Winter looks as bad as a Summer in Florida, and some of them are so crowded it's like a Sunday at Ponce Inlet 7 days/week in South Swell season.

I'd do what Uncle Ogro says about testing the waters for a season. IMHO you want a swell magnet beachbreak and a point/reef that's kind of spread out in your zone. The points/reefs with tighter takeoff spots are sh!t shows. You want someplace people can't read every lump of water 5 minutes off the plane and are getting mowed down and beatswept.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I used to like blow occasionally if I was going to be out drinking all night at the nightclub or something -- just to keep the motor running I never understood the compulsion to do it all the phucking time. seems like a particular personality type is attracted to that sh!t.
It’s not just the blow but partying too much in general. You get people imo who move down there who when there’s no surf let themselves get bored and the devil makes work for idle hands so they end up partying too much. Throw in dirt cheap rocket fuel yayo and…

Reactions: Aruka

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Retiring somewhere better than Florida has been the life plan and in the 90s every kid in Florida was thinking of Central America. Fast forward 25 years and 25 surf trips later. Central America is crowded and seasonal. Some of these places the Winter looks as bad as a Summer in Florida, and some of them are so crowded it's like a Sunday at Ponce Inlet 7 days/week in South Swell season.

I'd do what Uncle Ogro says about testing the waters for a season. IMHO you want a swell magnet beachbreak and a point/reef that's kind of spread out in your zone. The points/reefs with tighter takeoff spots are sh!t shows. You want someplace people can't read every lump of water 5 minutes off the plane and are getting mowed down and beatswept.
Ugh I forgot about the 90s. Sh!t - i just remembered was about to buy a piece of property in CR back then, along with every other surf bro I knew. Which explains all the white people I saw when I was there last week. Pomeranians in Playa Negra . . .

Reactions: Redeyes

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
"When I do cocaine I feel like a new man! The problem is the new man wants another line!"

Robin Williams

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
Yeah dude come over for a few days/weeks. Wave season is just gettin started in the pacific side. Try not to stay too long around Panama city. Is more expensive and is really not like the rest of the country.
Most of these expats gringos live in:
Boquete (if you like the coffee) this is where I live. Theres some surf, but
Surfwise: bocas del toro (caribe side), santa catalina and azuero area on the pacific.
Hope that helps