Refinance now??

parkiteric

Nep status
Jul 3, 2010
I work in the industry and can lend in CA. definitely get rid of the FHA PMI as it's squandering valuable money.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Just heard the Federal Reserve is going to lower its rate for the first time in umpteen years. The window is now until the 3rd qtr next year.

From what I hear after qtr 3 next year the economy is going to take a huge dump.

Unless Trump wins.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I pay pmi. Our home was kind of an impulse buy so we didn’t have much cash on hand for down payment. Gained 250k in Zillow value since 2015, but our interest rate is only 3%. Even with the rate decreases in every scenario I have explored my payment is still cheaper with pmi and a low rate than it would be to refinance. But that’s pretty unique. If I could keep the 3% and ditch the pmi that would be fantastic.

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
Belchfire1 said:
The removal of the PMI is the main driver. We can afford the mortgage and will continue paying the same amount every month, but the $300 something in PMI will go towards principal each month.
If you can get rid of that stupid PMI payment and get a slightly lower rate as well, it's a no-brainer to refinance. Putting that extra $300+ into the monthly payment is smart.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
subway said:
I pay pmi. Our home was kind of an impulse buy so we didn’t have much cash on hand for down payment. Gained 250k in Zillow value since 2015, but our interest rate is only 3%. Even with the rate decreases in every scenario I have explored my payment is still cheaper with pmi and a low rate than it would be to refinance. But that’s pretty unique. If I could keep the 3% and ditch the pmi that would be fantastic.
Couldn't you get your home reappraised? The new appraisal value should eliminate the requirement for PMI. That would raise your property tax though.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
yeah and our property taxes just went up quite a bit as it is (legislative, not appraisal related)

Oh and we got that type of loan where the PMI remains, now matter what equity percentage we reach, for the life of the loan. So we will obviously refi at SOME point, bt with my absurdly low interest rate, the Fed needs to cut a bit more in order for it to come into the money

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
Thanks FishFace. I may hit you up after we get the appraisal. The 28 year or even 25 year loan is a pretty good idea. I'm gonna be old as dirt at that point anyways, so paying this loan off probably isn't actually happening. I'll be like 75 years old. Thinking we'll probably sell the place in 20 years and retire somewhere other than Encinitas. Thanks for all the advice everyone. I appreciate it.

Belch

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
subway said:
yeah and our property taxes just went up quite a bit as it is (legislative, not appraisal related)

Oh and we got that type of loan where the PMI remains, now matter what equity percentage we reach, for the life of the loan. So we will obviously refi at SOME point, bt with my absurdly low interest rate, the Fed needs to cut a bit more in order for it to come into the money

I've not heard of non-cancellable mortgage insurance.My advice is to keep track of your loan balance and area home prices. Once the loan balance reaches 80 percent of the home’s original value, you can ask the lender to drop the mortgage insurance premiums.

Exceptions? Yes, FHA loans on property purchased with less than 10% down. I guess that's what you have.

Aroq

OTF status
Aug 1, 2005
SD
I'm not following the math here Fishface.

So say the loan amount is $260k

.85% of that is 2,210, then divided by 12 is $184.17

or am I doing it wrong and .85% is $221,000 then didided by 12 should be $18,416.67 ?

Neither one is right to me, so I might need a lil more splaining. what part did I miss?

Is it .....add .85% to the interest rate? like if the rate is 3.75% it becomes 4.6%?
if that is the case then the payment would be roughly 1k, yes?

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Dropping PMI is a no brainer.

If anyone wants a simple spreadsheet with Amortization and PITI calcs to calculate total interest paid PM me and email and I'll send it. It'll give you the true cost of interest over the life of the loan.

I just refi'd to drop to 3.625 from 4.25%.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Belchfire1 said:
Who's your Daddy? Any insight you care to share?
Cracks me up when posters take them time to chime in order to tell everyone they're wrong, then they are "too busy" to explain why #toocoolforschool :roflmao: :bigdeal:

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I'm already in too deep to refi.

I don't want to reset the clock.

Would rather continue to just pay the thing off.

The monthly savings isn't enough to make me want to jump ship.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Who's Your Daddy said:
Sorry, no time to chime in. You get what you pay for when seeking advice on the BB....
Op I can send you my loan person if you want. PM me.

She just emailed me about the recent rate drop.

So, I guess it would be better than erbb advice?