"Racism" is nothing but a distraction driven by politicians and the media

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Yes that's correct; I don't see how the two statements are in conflict. Fake 20, Floyd leaves and goes to car, cops called, cops pull him over in car, was the general arc of events?
They aren’t. The broader point is that the BLM movement does nothing to address the issues that lead to encounters between black people and law enforcement. Not sure if DEI does anything either, except maybe at the margins.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
“The first step to do that is for whites of all ages to learn an honest history of this country’s systemic racism and the Black movements against it—something many whites today are not even willing to begin doing.”
I don't agree with this.

There has been a push to do this and the result is a backfire effect.

I believe a better tactic would be to create more opportunity for upward mobility for all poor people.

But I'm not in charge so nothing to worry about.

I don't see this happening anytime soon.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
They aren’t. The broader point is that the BLM movement does nothing to address the issues that lead to encounters between black people and law enforcement. Not sure if DEI does anything either, except maybe at the margins.
Yeah I don't think that's BLM's purpose. It's Black Lives Matter, not Black People Have to Drive 1 Under Everywhere With a Notary Public, a GoPro on Facebook Live and Three Forms of ID.

It's not Derek Chauvin can't enforce the law when George Floyd has broken it. It's that once Floyd is cuffed he doesn't need his neck unapologetically kneeled on for almost ten minutes while Minneapolis hipsters with no ER/combat experience who cringe at the sight of a hockey fight live-narrate his obvious death. In the case of Trayvon Martin, the issue is George Zimmerman failing to mind his own business, not self-deputizing, picking a fight, losing a fight, and pulling metal.

DEI's purpose seems more like a Fortune 500/University thing, so I don't see how that's applicable, but watching Critical Race Theory go from esoteric Graduate/Law School Humanities track to catch-all for anything black or black adjacent DeSantis types don't like, I guess I should mutter angrily about DEI every time I pick up a watermelon Jolly Rancher wrapper in the high tide line this summer.

Reactions: Kento and sirfun

sirfun

Duke status
Apr 26, 2008
U.S.A.
I believe a better tactic would be to
discuss beliefs that are the basis for the problem/solution without evading the overall theological nature of the policy discussion !! )

I am sure you are aware of

" create more opportunity for upward mobility for all poor people"

has had severe "backfire effect results" historically !! :) )

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
discuss beliefs that are the basis for the problem/solution without evading the overall theological nature of the policy discussion !! )

I am sure you are aware of

" create more opportunity for upward mobility for all poor people"

has had severe "backfire effect results" historically !! :) )
Actually that is false.

The state and community college systems of California, the jewels of California, did this for years by providing low cost college education for poor people with great results. I'm not sure if they are doing that now. Which is ironic. Given their emphasis on DIE and identity politics. What it pretends to be now is what it used to really be.

What is the theological nature you speak of in this context?

You say it a lot but I don't get it.

Last edited:

sirfun

Duke status
Apr 26, 2008
U.S.A.
Actually that is false.

The state and community college systems of California, the jewels of California, did this for years by providing low cost college education for poor people with great results. I'm not sure if they are doing that now. Which is ironic. Given their emphasis on DIE and identity politics. What it pretends to be now is what it used to really be.

What is the theological nature you speak of in this context?

You say it a lot but I don't get it.
Was this before, after, or during Rodney's famous quote ?? )

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Yeah I don't think that's BLM's purpose. It's Black Lives Matter, not Black People Have to Drive 1 Under Everywhere With a Notary Public, a GoPro on Facebook Live and Three Forms of ID.
Who said anything about that? I’m talking about them living up to their namesake. If they cared about black lives then they would address the actual issues in the community that put some of them on the wrong end of law enforcement. Or what causes them to kill each other, which is several orders of magnitude greater. Talking about saving black lives by addressing police violence is a band aid on a broken leg.

It's not Derek Chauvin can't enforce the law when George Floyd has broken it. It's that once Floyd is cuffed he doesn't need his neck unapologetically kneeled on for almost ten minutes while Minneapolis hipsters with no ER/combat experience who cringe at the sight of a hockey fight live-narrate his obvious death. In the case of Trayvon Martin, the issue is George Zimmerman failing to mind his own business, not self-deputizing, picking a fight, losing a fight, and pulling metal.
Assuming thahow it actually went down. If so then yes, they have a point. In fairness we don’t know how the confrontation became physical.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Who said anything about that? I’m talking about them living up to their namesake. If they cared about black lives then they would address the actual issues in the community that put some of them on the wrong end of law enforcement. Or what causes them to kill each other, which is several orders of magnitude greater. Talking about saving black lives by addressing police violence is a band aid on a broken leg.
A lot of those neighborhoods do also have protests against gang violence. That, however, does not generate clicks or $$$.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

sirfun

Duke status
Apr 26, 2008
U.S.A.

sirfun

Duke status
Apr 26, 2008
U.S.A.
So you are not going to explain why you always say discussing race is a theological discussion?
I bet you 100 dollars you caint quote me saying that !! :) )

Discussing Racism is a Theological Discussion !! )

Discussing Religion is a Theological Discussion !! )

Reactions: Ifallalot

sirfun

Duke status
Apr 26, 2008
U.S.A.

sirfun

Duke status
Apr 26, 2008
U.S.A.
from one Dean to a couple more !! ( :