"Racism" is nothing but a distraction driven by politicians and the media

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
we literally have 10 years of GromsDerp demonstrating this day in and day out

it's fkn wild
I think feeling come first.

Then you shape your thoughts around those feelings.

When you give a counter fact, you are attacking the feeling which is running the show

The feeling doesn't want to change.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Feelings often get created by external stimuli - the sights, sounds, events, and ideas we are exposed to over the years, especially the formative years. Once those feelings become embedded into our minds as biases, we become somewhat immune to stimuli that counters those biases, and it becomes very difficult to be changed.

I learned that in one of my implicit bias trainings!

sirfun

Duke status
Apr 26, 2008
U.S.A.
I feel great when I know who is talking by looking at their avatar !! )

double double spacers with the same avatar-whewwww !! )

• Haha
Reactions: afoaf

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Feelings often get created by external stimuli - the sights, sounds, events, and ideas we are exposed to over the years, especially the formative years. Once those feelings become embedded into our minds as biases, we become somewhat immune to stimuli that counters those biases, and it becomes very difficult to be changed.

I learned that in one of my implicit bias trainings!
Temperament and internal physiological processes also influence biases.

Biases are automatic thinking and you need automatic thinking.

You just don't want the bias to bring you to the wrong decision.

If I cross the street to a avoid a group of young black man and as a result I avoid being menaced is that a bias or a heuristic at work?

It always amazed me who the people pushing this stuff didn't really understand it.

That they took something they didn't really understand and used to play the race card is a trip.

I never had that training directly. We had some online videos.

We had someone speak about anti-racism and it didn't go well.

The speaker said if you weren't advocating for anti racism in the classroom, you were racist.

I called bullshit.

One of the other teachers was kicking me under the table to shut up.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
We had someone speak about anti-racism and it didn't go well.

The speaker said if you weren't advocating for anti racism in the classroom, you were racist.

I called bullshit.

One of the other teachers was kicking me under the table to shut up.
Yeah we had one of those trainings too, and I remember while the trainer was going on and on about that a bunch of us were texting back and forth about how this is bullshit and where should we go for happy hour.

People think teachers are so goddam woke and IRL most of them couldn't care less.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Yeah we had one of those trainings too, and I remember while the trainer was going on and on about that a bunch of us were texting back and forth about how this is bullshit and where should we go for happy hour.

People think teachers are so goddam woke and IRL most of them couldn't care less.
Also, those kids are so keyed into fairness.

If I do something unfair, for whatever reason, they are happy to go tell someone.

There is no room for social engineering when you have course content to teach.

Reactions: afoaf and hammies

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Also, those kids are so keyed into fairness.

If I do something unfair, for whatever reason, they are happy to go tell someone.

There is no room for social engineering when you have course content to teach.
Pinker has some good writing on the hard wiring behind the perception of fairness that is present even at a very young age...it's basically a resource-extraction behavior for mammals with large litters and. people like us that are dependent on parents for a long period of time and may have siblings from subsequent pregnancies

Reactions: Autoprax