"Ride this board xx inches shorter than your HPSB"???

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
kookykooy said:
MACSAN said:
I think the height reference doesn't quite work for short people... I'm 5'7 and the board recommendations based on height always seem too short.
5'7" is average height, I don't know where you are coming from, unless you are from Scandinavia, 5'7" is about average.

I feel like height reference doesn't work at all for tall, skinny people. I'm 6'6"-6'7", I've never had luxury of having a board at my height.
No way. I'm barely 5-8 and I notice when someone is shorter than me since it doesn't happen very often

kookycooky

Nep status
Sep 5, 2014
is the length vs height really that important?

is there a point where thickness vs the length ratio of the surfboard goes f'ed?

I'm thinking there is a point where the board becomes too thin for the overall length and width.

If I get something at 6'6", I'll have to thin it out to 2 3/8 or 2 1/2, or otherwise it be a bitch to duckdive.

henny

OTF status
Jun 2, 2012
Well my HPSB has gotten a tad beefier with age and the move away from the potato chip era,but is still absolutely a must have for me.. The " ride x inches shorter than_ " actually helped me when getting a few boards from the SAME shaper.(as mentioned,talk to 'em) The dd/grovelers scaled nicely in relation to the "good wave " boards In length,width,thickness and yes,volume. That makes switching boards seamless and feels natural... Now when you switch from mid-lengths to Std shortboards to fish to hulls, to stubs, etc. more "relearning" will certainly come into play.
In the end it's a ll about what makes your special place tingle.

Ivanmeister

Michael Peterson status
Dec 16, 2010
Cabo, Mexico
kookykooy said:
is the length vs height really that important?

is there a point where thickness vs the length ratio of the surfboard goes f'ed?
Lets pretend you have two boards that don't break, both pack the same volume where your feet are, continuous rocker, identical but one is your height and the other 1' longer, which will feel more nimble and turn tighter, fit the wave better?

Shacks

OTF status
Feb 16, 2012
Hpsb= the board you ride in good hp waves like head high to double.

Problem is most avg guys are riding their short fat wide board when the waves get good, kinda like a polar opposite of when everyone was trying to ride their hpsb in crappy waves, in the 90's .

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Shacks said:
Hpsb= the board you ride in good hp waves like head high to double.
Simple as that. Every surfer should have one.

How many times have we done this thread now?

Fredtool

Nep status
Jan 31, 2014
Florida
Note to self come up with a program to measure surface area on a Board. Get Kelly Slater to say something about the surface area of his board and how he thinks it's too much and he needs to reduce it by 3 and 4/5 of a square inch.

Fredtool

Nep status
Jan 31, 2014
Florida
Note to self come up with a program to measure surface area on a Board. Get Kelly Slater to say something about the surface area of his board and how he thinks it's too much and he needs to reduce it by 3 and 4/5 of a square inch.

What rather well known and respected shaper of hand crafter boards said." The next kid that ask me about volume won't be getting a board from me."

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
ifallalot said:
kookykooy said:
MACSAN said:
I think the height reference doesn't quite work for short people... I'm 5'7 and the board recommendations based on height always seem too short.
5'7" is average height, I don't know where you are coming from, unless you are from Scandinavia, 5'7" is about average.

I feel like height reference doesn't work at all for tall, skinny people. I'm 6'6"-6'7", I've never had luxury of having a board at my height.
No way. I'm barely 5-8 and I notice when someone is shorter than me since it doesn't happen very often
+1 i'm 5'6" and i'm not riding boards my height ..... but while you guys are having to crouch down in the tube .... i'm standing tall !!!!! :beer:

theGraft

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 5, 2007
So at what point did volume get so important to the average surfer. When did the info become so popular in use when talking about boards? Who caused the shift, the big brands?

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
theGraft said:
So at what point did volume get so important to the average surfer. When did the info become so popular in use when talking about boards? Who caused the shift, the big brands?
As soon as it was listed as a standard measurement. Computer designs and the shaping machine caused the shift. Before that we were obsessing over width and thickness.