"Ride this board xx inches shorter than your HPSB"???

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
It seems like most shapers/boardmakers still reference the standard HPSB when advising on length/width of their more stubby shapes.

Does this even make sense these days? Should I know what my hypothetical HPSB dims would be? Most everybody is on slightly shorter/wider/fatter boards than 5 years ago, so is it still a valid comparison?

Oh, and when do you think we're likely to see surface area listed?

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
I doubt surface area will ever be listed , shapers are already kicking themselves in the ass for listing volume . now every Joe Blow is a volume expert

The hpsb is your best reference point for most shapes . if you don't own one then no worries , just find a board with the right volume ;-)

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
ifallalot said:
I like when shapers reference your height
Yes. Please.
"Ride this around your own height or slightly shorter, and add xx% volume". That makes perfect sense to me.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
nexttozen said:
Maz said:
ifallalot said:
I like when shapers reference your height
Yes. Please.
"Ride this around your own height or slightly shorter, and add xx% volume". That makes perfect sense to me.
it doesn't to me and it'z still bs. some people have longer legs, longer torso, narrower or wider stance. go see ur local chaper.
I'm not talking about myself, but about shapers/manufacturers and how they communicate with us. And whether there is still such a thing as a standard HPSB.

That said, I completely agree that you have to be careful about referencing someone's height.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Maz said:
It seems like most shapers/boardmakers still reference the standard HPSB when advising on length/width of their more stubby shapes.

Does this even make sense these days? Should I know what my hypothetical HPSB dims would be? Most everybody is on slightly shorter/wider/fatter boards than 5 years ago, so is it still a valid comparison?

When I read that, I think about the 6'1" I was riding in 2005.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
if youve been surfing long enough, and on equipment made for ripping, u know your own hpsb dimentions

MACSAN

Nep status
Sep 5, 2009
I think the height reference doesn't quite work for short people... I'm 5'7 and the board recommendations based on height always seem too short.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Racer1 said:
Maz said:

That's how I do it. It tunes out all the short/wide, postmodern, hipster, bespoke, fusion pron that has so badly skewed my perception over the last 5 years or so.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
nexttozen said:
Clamsmasha said:
Racer1 said:
Maz said:

That's how I do it. It tunes out all the short/wide, postmodern, hipster, bespoke, fusion pron that has so badly skewed my perception over the last 5 years or so.
truth. i have to base it on my pos 6'2x18.5x2.25 hpcrapboard to get the right dims. haha.
Yep, they should be saying "ride exactly the same length as your last 5 boards".

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
000 said:
if youve been surfing long enough, and on equipment made for ripping, u know your own hpsb dimentions
I hear you, but what is a HPSB these days? Are they referencing what used to be (the old 6'2 x 18 something), or what sort of passes for a HPSB these days. With board lengths oscillating wildly, it's hard to know.

FWIW, I ride boards from an 8' gun to a 5'8 groveler, but rarely have use for the archetypical, refined shortboard. It would probably fall right between my 6'0 Pyzalien and my 6'3 gunned out Mini Driver, though.

kookycooky

Nep status
Sep 5, 2014
MACSAN said:
I think the height reference doesn't quite work for short people... I'm 5'7 and the board recommendations based on height always seem too short.
5'7" is average height, I don't know where you are coming from, unless you are from Scandinavia, 5'7" is about average.

I feel like height reference doesn't work at all for tall, skinny people. I'm 6'6"-6'7", I've never had luxury of having a board at my height.

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
retodd said:
I doubt surface area will ever be listed , shapers are already kicking themselves in the ass for listing volume . now every Joe Blow is a volume expert

The hpsb is your best reference point for most shapes . if you don't own one then no worries , just find a board with the right volume ;-)
no fucking sh!t
the volume thing is such a pain in the ass
i even get guys emailing me asking about volume on craigslist boards every day :banghead: :ban:
much less trying to dial in volume on customs

the number the computer spits out is one thing
then we get the blank and template the tail
and god forbid we actually have to do some shaping on the blank