Question for the HR people

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
So an employer should be able to fire you for your privately held political beliefs? How about skin color? Age? Should he/she be able to fire you for refusing their advances? How about firing you because you are about to secure your pension? How far down the path of stupidity are you willing to go?
Hey man!!

I'm the boss!

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Jesus Christ dude...Do you think about anything other than Trump and politics?
If I'm not mistaken didn't she predate President Donald Trump? But keep ignoring the fact that you and all the others here that don't think employees deserve any rights leapt to her defense.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Ive heard of the person being accused going to HR first so they can look better. Some seriously asshole moves.
Source:work in HR

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
So an employer should be able to fire you for your privately held political beliefs? How about skin color? Age? Should he/she be able to fire you for refusing their advances? How about firing you because you are about to secure your pension? How far down the path of stupidity are you willing to go?

The political orientation thing is what is happening right now at Google/Facebook. Not being 100% onboard with your companies preferred political agenda.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
The political orientation thing is what is happening right now at Google/Facebook. Not being 100% onboard with your companies preferred political agenda.
mmmmmeh....Google is a dicey one.

these people aren't just organizing protests around harassment and sexism in the
workplace, they are lobbying against the business based on their work with China
and other authoritarian regimes.

personally, I think that if you don't like that your employer is engaged in those types of
business relationships you should probably leave the company.

I could be misguided, but my gut feeling is that you need to love it or leave it; politicizing
business operations doesn't seem quite as virtuous an endeavor to me.

Reactions: Leaverite

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Yup. That's why I said "privately held" political beliefs in my earlier post. I don't know all the details of the Google situation, but I doubt anyone is getting fired for being a conservative or a Trump supporter. More likely it's people that are expressing their political beliefs in the workplace in a manner that causes disruption. Even if many people in the company agree with the person's opinions, a workplace really isn't a great place for open political debate on controversial topics - particularly if those topics can alienate or (objectively) offend other employees. It's kinda fucked up, but that's most likely free game for a private corporation.

Reactions: afoaf

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
mmmmmeh....Google is a dicey one.

these people aren't just organizing protests around harassment and sexism in the
workplace, they are lobbying against the business based on their work with China
and other authoritarian regimes.

personally, I think that if you don't like that your employer is engaged in those types of

I could be misguided, but my gut feeling is that you need to love it or leave it; politicizing
business operations doesn't seem quite as virtuous an endeavor to me.
I agree.

If your employer is a total creep. Manipulating world politics for its own gain, you should grow a pair of nuts and bail out.

But if you are genetically selected to be a Googler and preform a specific job function, it may be a difficult choice,

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
That's pretty much the point I was making. It should work both ways. You and your employer part ways if you're not compatible for what ever reason. If both sides have free will, what's the problem?