Pyzel Ghost?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm 6'1 and 190 pounds.
I got to feel up a 6'1 and a 6'2 before I ordered.
The 6'1 felt a little thin for it to be a good wave board (the rails and tail are REALLY foiled out thin).
The 6'2 dimensions felt much better, so I custom ordered a 6'1 with 6'2 dimensions, which came out to 32 liters.
It doesn't feel like 32 liters to me, it paddles really well but still very responsive when riding it.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
TommyD said:
Hi All,

After a bit of help on Ghost sizing. I live in NZ so getting custom anything from the likes of Pyzel takes longer than the instant gratification side of my brain likes (wife did a psychology degree!). Therefore, I am tossing up whether the 6'1" stock dim ghost is best or the 6'2".

I currently ride the stock 5'11" Phantom with 31 lts of volume so I was thinking the 6'2" to give me that length I need for a step up (small step up as I am no massive wave charger but would like something with a little more hold in the juicy stiff above my phantom). The only issue is the litreage comes out at 32.8 and that worries me a little when I usually ride a 31 lt.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom
Talk to Jon directly:

https://beachgrit.com/2019/03/interview-jon-pyzel-on-why-volume-aint-the-magic-number-you-think-it-is/

SharkBoy

Miki Dora status
Oct 22, 2004
Waxfoot said:
TommyD said:
Hi All,

After a bit of help on Ghost sizing. I live in NZ so getting custom anything from the likes of Pyzel takes longer than the instant gratification side of my brain likes (wife did a psychology degree!). Therefore, I am tossing up whether the 6'1" stock dim ghost is best or the 6'2".

I currently ride the stock 5'11" Phantom with 31 lts of volume so I was thinking the 6'2" to give me that length I need for a step up (small step up as I am no massive wave charger but would like something with a little more hold in the juicy stiff above my phantom). The only issue is the litreage comes out at 32.8 and that worries me a little when I usually ride a 31 lt.

Cheers,

Tom
Talk to Jon directly:

https://beachgrit.com/2019/03/interview-jon-pyzel-on-why-volume-aint-the-magic-number-you-think-it-is/
I like hearing people's input here., especially when Pyzel and other shapers chime in, should be beneficial to the shapers that take the time, nearly all my most recent customs were from the shapers that have chimed in directly here or other forums. (i currently live in too remote a place for a local shaper)
might even help people choose a better off the rack size

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Waxfoot said:
TommyD said:
Hi All,

Cheers,

Tom
Talk to Jon directly:

That was a bit odd to read - I don’t understand how anyone could by a board based one one sole parameter. I also hear a lot of shapers whining about customers relying too much on volume.

The thing is - there’s so much subjective, as well as ill defined and marketing bullshit hyped board parameter descriptors. An example “low entry rocker” - WTF does that even mean? And its hard to see in a photo or even in person-the nose foil can give “optical illusions” - make a rocker look flatter or more curvy.

So there’s not a whole to go on - so customers will cling to any “actual” parameters they can get. Some leaning too heavily on volume- not their fault; they want real, useful parameters. Shapers want to protect their designs.

Rather than volume, I’d rather know the width and thickness 12” from nose, wide point and 12” from tail. THAT will tell you a lot. Not gonna happen.

If you’re going to get a board from a local shaper it’s a great idea to take 2-3 boards to him and explain what you love or hate about each performance wise. They’ll hopefully feel up the rails n take some measurements to dial in what your actual needs are/what works for you and what doesn’t.

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
Going to pick my Ghost up in the next few days. Here in South Africa for a few months and ordered a Ghost shortly after arriving. 6'1" x 18.88 x 2.56 @ 29.2L of volume. The ordering process is pretty smooth with a quick turnaround time. I don't know if they're rushing boards out over there but the shaper managed to screw up my order the first time, cut the board at 2.38 instead of 2.56. Shipped it for pickup with 29.2L on the stringer @ 2.38, went to fondle the board and knew something was wrong. Had to have it redone at the proper thickness. On the 2nd they managed to botch the spray on the stringer, I asked for black to match the rails and it came out crooked. Scoped a few of the other customs with black stringer spray and they came out okay. Just an unlucky chain of events maybe? Still have to take the board because it is much needed for the rest of the trip. I'm sure Pyzel would appreciate to hear some feedback regarding these issues.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I also had some problems with my order with Pyzel. One of the boards came out too thick but in their defense, it was an early set of dims that I later changed. Still, when you ask for three measurements (length, width and thickness) you kind of expect them to get that right.

Boards sure do work well though so what can you do...

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
Despite all the hiccups in the ordering process the board is working very well. Have a few sessions under the belt at a high quality point and it is a true rocket of a board.

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
Just picked up a lightly used 6'5 Ghost after selling a board this weekend. Dims say it is 39.4L but it feels much thinner than that. I usually ride about 36L. Now I am a bit worried that I undersized it . Anybody else felt this way? Are dims misleading on this shape or is the foam really well hidden? I'll have to wait for some juice to find out for myself.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
As Hoarder says, the rails are nicely foiled and hides the fat.

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
oh just tried mine... i am 5'9 about 175 pounds. board is a 6'1x19.6x2.63.

maybe is a little too big for me, but i got it for big surf. tons of hold and in small surf u can make it work as long as it isn't too mushy. love it.
hopefully i'll get to try it in real waves pretty soon.

Jun 22, 2019
Gday, long time stalker of this forum first time posting. I believe it is my responsibility to report on my Ghost.

I’m 37, fit, surf ok, 180cm and 83-86kgs. I bought a 5’10 (30.1ltrs) squash tail Phantom of the rack 4 months ago and fell in love. The board goes insane in onshore slop to slightly over head punchy beachies/mellow points. Pretty much 2-6 out of 10 conditions. I feel it begins to lose its capability outside of that range........Enter the ghost.

I read this forum for 2 weeks over and over to determine what size to get. I like to feel the board so I was always going to get stock dims. Either 6’0 or 6’1. Long story short, under the arm the 6’1 felt too wide for me as a good wave board. 6’0 felt perfect (29.7ltrs). My first impression of the ghost was when I jumped off the boat to surf an outer reef and the thing paddled like a 6’3. So much so I paddled for about 20m and checked the dims😂😂😂
The board is insane. I’ve had 4 surfs on it now all in good to excellent waves, shoulder to double overhead surf. To say it paddles longer than it is, is an understatement. I actually think my 6’3 FMN2 step up will get cobwebs on it now I have the ghost. The hold during late drops is like nothing I have experienced in a board before, it holds a rail so well in the critical part of the wave, only to accelerate through the bottom turn, it encourages you to let go of the rail in backhand tubes. I remember my first turn, I pushed as hard as I could on a backhand turn in the pocket on a solid wave, normally my fins would release, but the board just held in so hard on the rails the feeling was unreal. Pyzel hits the nail on the head when he is talking about planing and floating. You feel this in the board, somehow it’s exaggerated.

I hope everyone on here has the same experience with the board. I believe the sizes are perfect for myself and I hope I help someone else out when looking at this magic board.

I got this board in a strong glass job as we have some heavier waves where I live. I ride it with the future JJF mediums and I don’t think I’ll even try another fin.

I reckon if your looking at this as a step up be careful with the length. To me it will ride as a step up in your normal shortboard dims. (If anyone even has a normal shortboard dim these days)

Enjoy, I have and will continue to....yew!

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Andyb said:
The hold during late drops is like nothing I have experienced in a board before, it holds a rail so well in the critical part of the wave, only to accelerate through the bottom turn, it encourages you to let go of the rail in backhand tubes.

Same here. Felt so confident on my 6'1 ghost in late drops that I got a 6'6 as a step up - paddles like a 7'2" but surfs like a 6'3.

Jan 21, 2013
If anyone has any experience on the ghost pro in comparison to the standard ghost i'd love to hear about it.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Didn't know there was such a thing as a pro model, just slimmer dims?

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
The Ghost Pro is exact same design as Ghost, just more refined dimensions. We find that a lot of people gravitate to the Ghost as a step-up board and the stock dims we have tend to be too wide and thick for someone of medium/lighter builds looking for a step up. For example Ghost Pro 6'1 x 19.13 2.44 x 28.5L
normal Ghost is 6'1 x 19.50 x 2.63 x 31.3L
Essentially each size is narrower and thinner and about 2 liters less volume

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Thank the lord, for a moment there I was worried that my standard model wasn't going to allow me to surf like a pro :p
...now all I have to be worried about is being a fatty :D