Pyzel Ghost?

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
What's up with the PyzAlien II?
The Pyzalien II exists! It's a refined version of the old faithful Pyzalien with small changes, the most important is the deck curve-- the original has a flatter deck with really full rails, the new II has more dome n deck and more refined rails so you ride want to order the board closer to your regular thickness. The original one you needed to go UNDER your normal thickness and I think that was semi-confusing to people. The II is available through custom order anytime and we plan on starting to put it into shops in the near future, just not sure exactly when yet. I've been riding the II for the last year at least and it's probably my favorite board

• Love
Reactions: ZeeHawk

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Looked and felt nice in beachhouse feeling up at shop with OTR dims one had dd good wave other could be step up do not remember dims but looked to me like a nice good wave step up board.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Hey Pyzel! Any thoughts on shortening and widening the Shadow? I'm a tall fella (6'3) but like to ride daily drivers around 6'1 so that they fit in the pocket of average sized waves. Have a 6'1 Phantom that I love, but it's a touch wide and could use some nose rocker for where I surf (beach break). Would a 6'1 x 19.75 x 2 5/8 Shadow work against the design of this board, which is intended to be a little longer and narrower?
My 6'3" Shadow fits in the pocket probably a little better than my 6'1" Phantom. The increased nose rocker is noticeable, especially in critical spots like hitting the end section on a steep one. Sometimes the Phantom feels like it's hard to keep that nose up when coming down into the flats but the Shadow seems to pull through as long as I'm not completely blowing it. I think in addition to the increased nose rocker the narrower tail of the Shadow is easier to sink into the face compared to the wide Phantom tail so it's just a bit easier to keep that nose up.

Just my 2 cents as a fellow 6'3" tall person.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Hey Pyzel! Any thoughts on shortening and widening the Shadow? I'm a tall fella (6'3) but like to ride daily drivers around 6'1 so that they fit in the pocket of average sized waves. Have a 6'1 Phantom that I love, but it's a touch wide and could use some nose rocker for where I surf (beach break). Would a 6'1 x 19.75 x 2 5/8 Shadow work against the design of this board, which is intended to be a little longer and narrower?
I'm wondering the same as I would need some width/thickness on a custom to hit the volume level I want without going to long. I got to feel one of these and a stubby bastard at a shop near me. Both boards looked great.

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
There are no rules set in stone- a wider, thicker board just surfs differently than a narrower, thinner one. Go for it!

Reactions: trifish

EntropyFletch

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 20, 2006
San Diego
I brought a 5'10" stock Phantom and a 5'11" stock (well used and borrowed from a friend), 6'0" stock and 6'3" custom (31.5L) Ghost on my recent trip to the Ments (Kandui Resort). Surflie totally blew the forecast (big surprise!), calling for two swells to be DOH-TOH while it ended up being 2-3' OH tops. Surf was still super fun, although pretty crowded at times. Surfed mainly lefts (SE wind all day erryday): Hideaways, EBay and Kandui.

The Phantom is super fun and versatile at home (San Diego), but in the fast, steep and bowly lefts in Indo the wide point forward and wide tail were definitely a liability for me. Even on the smaller days (SH-HH) I found it hard to make my first bottom turn because the waves have so much curve and power, I couldn't get the tight radius off the bottom I wanted. Pulling into the fast barrels was an issue for me as well as I felt like that wide tail was getting sucked up the wall, which then pushed my outside rail towards the lip. I got axed in the head by getting sucked up or drifted into the lip and got blasted a few times. My buddy had a 5'10" Shadow (more of a HPSB) and I wish I had a board like that instead of the Phantom while there.

The Ghost's however, worked like magic! I rode the 5'11" up to 2-3' OH until the leash plug pulled out at EBay and I had to swim in over the reef to collect it. I rode the 6'0" the rest of the trip if there was any swell at all. I really didn't like this board at home (big but mushy reef breaks are NOT this boards jam), but I developed SO much confidence on it in Indo on those fast lefts. Ended up getting a few of the better barrels of my life on it at Kandui and a few really good tubes at EBay as well.Definitely harder to push through tight radius turns but so good in the barrel! Rode it as a quad at Kandui as the entire wave is essentially a barrel and you have to pump constantly to have any chance of making it. Felt so locked in out there. Rode it as a thruster at the slower lefts like EBay and Hideaway and really felt good as well.

Apr 18, 2013
I brought a 5'10" stock Phantom and a 5'11" stock (well used and borrowed from a friend), 6'0" stock and 6'3" custom (31.5L) Ghost on my recent trip to the Ments (Kandui Resort). Surflie totally blew the forecast (big surprise!), calling for two swells to be DOH-TOH while it ended up being 2-3' OH tops. Surf was still super fun, although pretty crowded at times. Surfed mainly lefts (SE wind all day erryday): Hideaways, EBay and Kandui.

The Phantom is super fun and versatile at home (San Diego), but in the fast, steep and bowly lefts in Indo the wide point forward and wide tail were definitely a liability for me. Even on the smaller days (SH-HH) I found it hard to make my first bottom turn because the waves have so much curve and power, I couldn't get the tight radius off the bottom I wanted. Pulling into the fast barrels was an issue for me as well as I felt like that wide tail was getting sucked up the wall, which then pushed my outside rail towards the lip. I got axed in the head by getting sucked up or drifted into the lip and got blasted a few times. My buddy had a 5'10" Shadow (more of a HPSB) and I wish I had a board like that instead of the Phantom while there.

The Ghost's however, worked like magic! I rode the 5'11" up to 2-3' OH until the leash plug pulled out at EBay and I had to swim in over the reef to collect it. I rode the 6'0" the rest of the trip if there was any swell at all. I really didn't like this board at home (big but mushy reef breaks are NOT this boards jam), but I developed SO much confidence on it in Indo on those fast lefts. Ended up getting a few of the better barrels of my life on it at Kandui and a few really good tubes at EBay as well.Definitely harder to push through tight radius turns but so good in the barrel! Rode it as a quad at Kandui as the entire wave is essentially a barrel and you have to pump constantly to have any chance of making it. Felt so locked in out there. Rode it as a thruster at the slower lefts like EBay and Hideaway and really felt good as well.
Thanks for the feedback. Hoping to one day go to Kandui also so this was a very helpful review. Did you get to ride the 6'3" at all? I know I would definitely bring my 5'11 ghost to the ments for up to a couple feet over head but wondering if you think it would handle DOH there or if you would want some more length and volume? Was thinking of ordering a custom 6'3" ghost as a step up or maybe the next step or tank to bring for the DOH days. How did your buddy like his shadow there?

Reactions: Aruka

EntropyFletch

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 20, 2006
San Diego
Thanks for the feedback. Hoping to one day go to Kandui also so this was a very helpful review. Did you get to ride the 6'3" at all? I know I would definitely bring my 5'11 ghost to the ments for up to a couple feet over head but wondering if you think it would handle DOH there or if you would want some more length and volume? Was thinking of ordering a custom 6'3" ghost as a step up or maybe the next step or tank to bring for the DOH days. How did your buddy like his shadow there?
Surf wasnt big enough for the 6'3" so I have not ridden it yet. I bought it used as the stock 6'3" has way too much volume for me. I would have been fine on the 6'0" up to DOH I think. THe 5'11" was perfect for HH to 3' OH. Anything bigger the 6'0" was the call.

The Shadow went sick and he rode it most days, except at Kandui he rode his custom 5'11" Ghost with Pro-like dims (less volume than the stock).

Reactions: e11even

EntropyFletch

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 20, 2006
San Diego
Ya maybe, my brother Nick bought a 6'3" XTR Ghost 31.5L. He ended up not making the trip and I bought it from him because Surflie was forecasting DOH-TOH surf...

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Ah yeah I think that's it, he said he was getting it for the Ments. Bummer you didn't get to put it to work.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Surf wasnt big enough for the 6'3" so I have not ridden it yet. I bought it used as the stock 6'3" has way too much volume for me. I would have been fine on the 6'0" up to DOH I think. THe 5'11" was perfect for HH to 3' OH. Anything bigger the 6'0" was the call.

The Shadow went sick and he rode it most days, except at Kandui he rode his custom 5'11" Ghost with Pro-like dims (less volume than the stock).
Nice, just put in an order to xtr for a shadow, love my ghost :)

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
felt up a ghost and phantom today. ghost felt really good but i have neither the skills nor the waves to ride such a boar.
Goes really well down to head high Blacks. Forward volume gives it enough glide if theres push. But doesnt have to be hollow necessarily, although it excels in hollow surf, even if just chest high but throwing.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Hi Jon

I felt up some channel bottom Ghosts (and Padillacs) at Drifter on Bali. Very nice looking - all of them.

A question on the Ghosts: There was a 6'4 x 19 3/4 x 2 3/4, and it felt quite a bit chunkier than my stock 6'3. The volume was 35.5L, which supports that. Did you make that batch with thicker rails, or is it a variation some shops order, or a new tweak to the design?

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
My stock 6'3 and others I've fondled in shops have pretty fat rails. To match the volume I want with the rails I want, I'm ordering a custom with shaved down rails to match my 2 5/8 Phantom which has a pretty knifey rail, certainly thinner than say my CI Fever.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
My stock 6'3 and others I've fondled in shops have pretty fat rails. To match the volume I want with the rails I want, I'm ordering a custom with shaved down rails to match my 2 5/8 Phantom which has a pretty knifey rail, certainly thinner than say my CI Fever.
How do you do that? Do you order thinner overall or do you order the stock thickness and tell them to foil the rails more (and do they actually follow through?

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
How do you do that? Do you order thinner overall or do you order the stock thickness and tell them to foil the rails more (and do they actually follow through?
Basically, I'm asking them to foil the rails. The request is for the rails of a 2 5/8s Phantom on a 2 11/16 Ghost. I'm placing the order through a local shop that has a line straight to someone at the Pyzel factory. Owner of the shop made the call in front of me to confirm details, so I'm confident about the follow-through. They even told me to email photos of the dims and serial number on the Phantom so that they could find the exact file. This will be my first time placing a custom order with Pyzel.