Puerto Padi

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
@Pyzelsurfboards
Jon while you are in question answering mode on the erBB as of late (and a BIG MAHALO for that.. I'm assuming it's because you're a great guy AND the north/NE winds are howling in HI today haha),
Puerto padi question(s)
I like my padillac (quad) and mini-padi (I surf it as a quad).
Can I custom order a Puerto padi as a quad? (I believe it's just a longer/narrower version of my mini padi, correct?)
I guess what I want to know is.... will the boys know where to place the fins on a Puerto padi if i wanted it as a quad (or 5 fin), or could that not end up well as a one off...?
I'd be ordering through haleiwa.
Mahalo!!
I’ll answer for Jon.

No. Pyzel will never make a custom board for you and no, they have no fucking clue where to place quad fins.:nana:

• Haha
Reactions: money4coffeeman

Sniper

OTF status
Jul 25, 2017
Ordered mine as a quad. It says in the description of the board that it actually works better as a quad and Nathan just likes to be contrary. I haven’t had a gun with a thruster since like 2005, an 8’6 Gerry Lopez that I snapped after a few sessions and was relieved to replace it with an 8’0 Jeff Clark quad. I did have one 7’5 Randy Cone thruster with glass ons that was one of the best boards I had back in the day.

Attachments

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
@Pyzelsurfboards
Jon while you are in question answering mode on the erBB as of late (and a BIG MAHALO for that.. I'm assuming it's because you're a great guy AND the north/NE winds are howling in HI today haha),
Puerto padi question(s)
I like my padillac (quad) and mini-padi (I surf it as a quad).
Can I custom order a Puerto padi as a quad? (I believe it's just a longer/narrower version of my mini padi, correct?)
I guess what I want to know is.... will the boys know where to place the fins on a Puerto padi if i wanted it as a quad (or 5 fin), or could that not end up well as a one off...?
I'd be ordering through haleiwa.
Mahalo!!
HI -- yeah the wind has been shitty and the waves have been 100 feet for weeks it seems! Quad set up is great on those boards and yes we know where to put the fins. Nathan just prefers his as tri fins, but many of my other team riders are still getting them as quads. I prefer not to make them with 5 fin set up UNLESS they are under 7-6, just because on the bigger boards I like to put the front fins on quads a bit further forward than I would for 3 fin set up.
My crew at Waialua shop can easily help you dial in your order so that you get whatever you are after. Call 'em 808 223 3305

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
HI -- yeah the wind has been shitty and the waves have been 100 feet for weeks it seems! Quad set up is great on those boards and yes we know where to put the fins. Nathan just prefers his as tri fins, but many of my other team riders are still getting them as quads. I prefer not to make them with 5 fin set up UNLESS they are under 7-6, just because on the bigger boards I like to put the front fins on quads a bit further forward than I would for 3 fin set up.
My crew at Waialua shop can easily help you dial in your order so that you get whatever you are after. Call 'em 808 223 3305
Interesting. I assumed that since they come stock as a thruster, they actually worked better that way, but I guess you have to go with what gets promoted by Nathan. I like my 7'4 Puerto Padi a lot, but I do think it would work better as a quad at OB. I'm stoked that you guys build boards like the Puerto Padi and sell them stock but I do think 90% of surfers, even the ones that surf waves to justify actual guns, will find them a bit challenging to surf.

Sniper

OTF status
Jul 25, 2017
Can’t wait to try mine, but I think the main thing that makes Pyzels so good is that they are so easy to surf. My buddy got a puerto padi and immediately thought he should have ordered it as a quad. I think thrusters are only effective when you are snapping right in the lip. How much are you actually doing that on a gun? I think guns as quads are way easier to turn, but it’s been 15 years since I used a thruster. Got some John John fins for my new puerto padi, interested to see if they work. My friends who surf jaws on Paddilacs are all liking them.

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
Awesome. Thanks for the confirmation!!

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
Ordered mine as a quad. It says in the description of the board that it actually works better as a quad and Nathan just likes to be contrary. I haven’t had a gun with a thruster since like 2005, an 8’6 Gerry Lopez that I snapped after a few sessions and was relieved to replace it with an 8’0 Jeff Clark quad. I did have one 7’5 Randy Cone thruster with glass ons that was one of the best boards I had back in the day.
You go stock dims on your order?
I kinda want a smaller puerto padi (like 7'4) but wider than stock. At that point it may just be a bigger mini padi.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
You go stock dims on your order?
I kinda want a smaller puerto padi (like 7'4) but wider than stock. At that point it may just be a bigger mini padi.
I had a 8’6 Padillac that was slightly narrower and thinner than stock. Worked great.

I ended up chickening out one too many times when the conditions required such a board - age and wisdom has its drawbacks and benefits - so I sold it.

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
I finally had the opportunity to check out a couple of puerto padis that came into a local shop... they look and feel unreal.
Longer, narrower versions of my mini-padi.
Look perfect for power...

Last edited:
Reactions: JDJ