Public Shaming

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Maybe.

Some might.

Some won't.

The problem with this shaming trend is that shame is being used tactically in bad faith on both teams.

So the positive adaptation you would like to result from the shaming probably won't happen at a noticeable level.

PS, you don't have to take the tone with me. :ROFLMAO:
Ha. In my defense, the sentence to which you refer had an (admittedly, invisible to you) wink at the end.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Yes, I know. Do you have any thoughts on the actual question. I'll be more clear: do you think people with a propensity to behave in ways that are being outed publicly as shameful might learn to control themselves better/behave differently knowing this is a possible result of their behavior. Not right now, perhaps, but over time. Do you think the people being publicly shamed now will learn anything from these experiences?
The problem is that the goalposts for what is unacceptable are constantly moving. The extremes and most emotionally invested are deciding what is is racist/homo/transphobic/etc for the masses. Once you cross that line, you are lumped in with the worst racists in human history. Even questioning those standards, or laying any criticism towards activist groups, is seen as an act of racism and aggression.

For example, I have no problem with Central Park Karen or someone dropping in N bomb in public getting shamed and dealing with the social consequences. However demanding that someone get fired because they tweet "all lives matter", or because their photo is taken with their fingers hanging out of a truck window that vaguely resembles the ok sign (which is now the white power symbol), is absurd.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
guess Im wrong.
Sacramento, Calif. — Longtime Sacramento Kings TV broadcaster Grant Napear resigned Tuesday after he tweeted "ALL LIVES MATTER" when asked by DeMarcus Cousins for his opinion on the Black Lives Matter movement.

The 60-year-old Napear also was fired by KTHK Sports 1140 in Sacramento. He had co-hosted a show on the AM radio station with former Kings player Doug Christie.

Guess NBA sportscasters best not be tweeting racist stuff. Oh well.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
Yes, I know. Do you have any thoughts on the actual question. I'll be more clear: do you think people with a propensity to behave in ways that are being outed publicly as shameful might learn to control themselves better/behave differently knowing this is a possible result of their behavior. Not right now, perhaps, but over time. Do you think the people being publicly shamed now will learn anything from these experiences?
they will learn to distrust others, especially those who are part of institutions which may have power over them

the distasteful thoughts won't be eliminated, they will just be driven underground which will cause them to become more extreme

eliminating reasonable dialogue in favor of dogma on complex issues is not something a liberal society should aspire toward

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
guess Im wrong.
Sacramento, Calif. — Longtime Sacramento Kings TV broadcaster Grant Napear resigned Tuesday after he tweeted "ALL LIVES MATTER" when asked by DeMarcus Cousins for his opinion on the Black Lives Matter movement.

The 60-year-old Napear also was fired by KTHK Sports 1140 in Sacramento. He had co-hosted a show on the AM radio station with former Kings player Doug Christie.

Shame on you.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
guess Im wrong.

I guess my bias is gonna show here, but I'm not surprised anyone on AM reacted that way. Have you listened? I've spent HOURS listening while driving through the central valley. It's bad.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
The problem is that the goalposts for what is unacceptable are constantly moving. The extremes and most emotionally invested are deciding what is is racist/homo/transphobic/etc for the masses. Once you cross that line, you are lumped in with the worst racists in human history. Even questioning those standards, or laying any criticism towards activist groups, is seen as an act of racism and aggression.

For example, I have no problem with Central Park Karen or someone dropping in N bomb in public getting shamed and dealing with the social consequences. However demanding that someone get fired because they tweet "all lives matter", or because their photo is taken with their fingers hanging out of a truck window that vaguely resembles the ok sign (which is now the white power symbol), is absurd.
There are no clear rules other than ideas about who should hold power

Everything is justified by reference to the power imbalance and everything done to correct the power imbalance is fair game in this worldview

Milquetoast leftists delude themselves that they will be among the anointed if the aims of this movement succeed

They have just as much white privilege if not more than the right wing hillbillies they want to throw under the bus, therefore the same tactics will ultimately be used against them

you can already see this in the increasing hostility toward white women, who as a group are much more liberal than white men.

Reactions: grapedrink

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
What do you mean it's bad?
The conservatism and Christian preaching, mostly, which very often includes the same kind of racism we see here, denials of being racist. It's probably no worse than anywhere else, even here, really, but it's the only voice I can find on AM radio that speaks English. Mariachi music doesn't do it for me, yet.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017

Everything is justified by reference to the power imbalance and everything done to correct the power imbalance is fair game in this worldview

Milquetoast leftists delude themselves that they will be among the anointed if the aims of this movement succeed

They have just as much white privilege if not more than the right wing hillbillies they want to throw under the bus, therefore the same tactics will ultimately be used against them

you can already see this in the increasing hostility toward white women, who as a group are much more liberal than white men.
So much gibberish. please don't bother trying to explain.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006

Revolutions almost always eat their own.

Reactions: Billy Ocean