Protein Supplements

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
After I wrote that I get DOMS after resistance training, Doctor Von Meister mentioned three possible causes- infrequency, lack of sleep, and/or diet. I have to admit that recently, with all the good surf we've been getting lack of frequency is most likely the issue. Sleep? Some mornings I wish I could sleep more, but I'd have to kill our cat. Finally, diet.

I eat to my heart's content, never on a "diet", but I read that an active male should consume 2 grams per kilo of bodyweight of protein. I also read that the older you get you should consume more, as your body loses the ability to process it. I don't think I get the recommended amount.

I looked at the protein powders and they all had a lot of cholesterol as well. Do you guys supplement protein? With what and how?

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Go with whatever digests well. Start with whey or casein first. This is a good one, no fillers or sweeteners https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0787RNSPQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like this because it digests better. You could argue that since it is collagen based it is not as high quality of a protein as a whey but if you are getting enough protein you are splitting hairs IMO

That said, I would start with making sure you are getting at least 30-40 grams of protein at breakfast (and lunch and dinner) from whole food ingredients, if possible.
:beer:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

I take the vegan powders here, about 25 to 50 g/day:

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
I drink the Optimum Nutrition Whey on the daily. Usually a scoop in the morning smoothie and a scoop in the afternoon after I work out.

I read a bunch of stuff (stronger by science, rippetoe and maybe barbell medicine) that said that whey is superior to plant based protein for building/maintaining muscle. yes, there's some confirmation bias for me. i also try to have red meat 3 or 4 times a week.

my target has been .8 grams/lb for awhile. usually fall short. it's harder than you think to consume 150 grams of protein per day.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Anybody tried the Athletic greens stuff, my gut was feeling like crap so I made an impulse buy. Have not tried it yet.

WaialuaNate

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 19, 2011
I can't have whey or casein. I use plant (rice / pea / quinoa making sure the BCAA profile is complete). Shoot for total intake .7g/lb of bodyweight OR 1g/lb of lean bodymass. Works for me.

WaialuaNate

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 19, 2011
Me personally? I have a scale that does bodyfat impedance. It's not clinical quality, but close enough.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
After I wrote that I get DOMS after resistance training, Doctor Von Meister mentioned three possible causes- infrequency, lack of sleep, and/or diet. I have to admit that recently, with all the good surf we've been getting lack of frequency is most likely the issue. Sleep? Some mornings I wish I could sleep more, but I'd have to kill our cat. Finally, diet.

I eat to my heart's content, never on a "diet", but I read that an active male should consume 1.2 - 2 grams per kilo of bodyweight of protein. I also read that the older you get you should consume more, as your body loses the ability to process it. I don't think I get the recommended amount.

I looked at the protein powders and they all had a lot of cholesterol as well. Do you guys supplement protein? With what and how?

Whoops. I mis-wrote the protein calculation. It's 1.2 to 2.0 grams per kilo of bodyweight. Most days I'm under the lower figure.

Besides making a smoothie, what other ways can you use the powder? Can you put it in oatmeal or would that be unpalatable?

Last edited:

WaialuaNate

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 19, 2011

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Whoops. I mis wrote the protein calculation. It's 1.2 to 2.0 grams per kilo of baodyweight. Most days I'm under the lower figure.

Besides making a smoothie, what other ways can you use the powder? Can you put it in oatmeal or would that be unpalatable?
You can slurry it with the hot water and then add your oats. I find it works ok but can still have a grainy taste. Works with whey when unsweetened, but not all powders mix well with hot water. The bone broth protein I tried this with turned into coagulated sticky mess. YMMV

Reactions: One-Off

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
Whoops. I mis wrote the protein calculation. It's 1.2 to 2.0 grams per kilo of baodyweight. Most days I'm under the lower figure.

I’ve tried it and it was pretty nasty. I’ve been grinding my oatmeal to a power in the vitamix and adding it to fruit and water in the smoothie. Great nutrient profile.

Or shake it with milk or water

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
OK, I had two eggs this morning.

slab of fish for lunch and some chicken for dinner.

how much protein is that you reckon?
If the fish and chicken were 6 ounces then 96 grams.

10 ounces, 152.

The would do it for me, but rarely do I eat that much protein. Tonight we had pesto pasta which has almost none, but for some parmesan cheese.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
45+, and I generally eat fairly healthy with lots of fruit n veg, and lean protein. But it is good to supplement, especially to help muscles recover. I try to take protein powder after any type of real exercise.

I used Muscle Milk for years, as it was the easiest to digest for my stupid sensitive stomach, readily available and not too expensive. Cheap ones like the generic GNC brand were pretty awful.
The last couple years I’ve been using Progenex’s Recovery protein powder. It seems to be pretty high quality, tastes fine, and digests easily.
I’ve also used their MoreMuscle but I’m not really trying to gain like when I was in 20s-30s, just maintain and not be sore the next day. Their Sustain would be a good basic option as well.

I probably average 4-5/week. Sometimes in a morning fruit/green smoothie, sometimes mixed with coffee (most powders don’t mix well with hot liquids but Progenex seem to do ok). Usually just mixed with water in a shaker cup with a scoop of their creatine powder after a surf / workout.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
If the fish and chicken were 6 ounces then 96 grams.

10 ounces, 152.

The would do it for me, but rarely do I eat that much protein. Tonight we had pesto pasta which has almost none, but for some parmesan cheese.

Why not just add high quality lean protein to your food?

Pasta is just carbs, that doesn't sound healthy for a 60+ year old man.

Reactions: grapedrink

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I'd never even heard of DOMS. Had to look it up. Never knew it was a thing but I sure do have it. LOL!!!! Oddly though only when I do leg press type workouts. Day after workout I'm fine. Days two and three after though I'm hurtin. Upper body workouts don't do it to me at all.