Protein Supplements

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Why not just add high quality lean protein to your food?

Pasta is just carbs, that doesn't sound healthy for a 60+ year old man.
Carbs are good. The anti-carb stuff is nonsense. If you're fat, it's because you're eating too much.

You can estimate protein relative to your hand size (some men are longer than others).

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Thanks bruz, will give that a listen.

didn't mean to come off snarky- the human being is evolved to chew and digest protein sources- there seems so much high quality protein around I'd like to know how a bit of whey powder or pea powder could be superior to a piece of meat/fish/eggs for eg.

Is there a benefit to protein powder over whole foods, and by how much?

Last edited:
Reactions: rowjimmytour

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

didn't mean to come off snarky- the human being is evolved to chew and digest protein sources- there seems so much high quality protein around I'd like to know how a bit of whey powder or pea powder could be superior to a piece of meat/fish/eggs for eg.

Easier to hit your protien numbers if you are trying to keep your calories down.

Animal protien is probably more desirable if you digest it well.

The key is to count and see how you feel.

When I was counting I was coming in low.

You need more protein as you get older.

I would try 1 gram per body weight and see how you do.

Reactions: oeste858

WaialuaNate

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 19, 2011
According to yesterdays numbers I'm at 2g per body weight.

Is that excessive?
Edit for imperial / metric clarification: 2g per kg or per lb of body weight?

Its hard to do that (per lb), and stay under your TDEE, unless you are super active, or only eat protein.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

No, not superior. If you can get all your protein needs with whole foods, that's great. IMO, it's really for pragmatism/ convenience / efficiency. For many of us, we just don't have time in the day/ week to prepare and cook lean meats, etc. every time we want to eat them. So, for me, it's really just a more efficient way to supplement my lean protein (fish, chicken, pork, eggs, etc.) intake between meals.
YMMV

Reactions: Aruka and One-Off

WaialuaNate

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 19, 2011
Easier to hit your protien numbers if you are trying to keep your calories down.

Animal protien is probably more desirable if you digest it well.

The key is to count and see how you feel.

When I was counting I was coming in low.

You need more protein as you get older.

I would try 1 gram per body weight and see how you do.
Do as I say not as I .... something something

WaialuaNate

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 19, 2011
Total Daily Energy Expenditure

BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) + activity/exercise = TDEE. There are calculators online. If you are trying to manage weight, you need to know what your TDEE is so you can go over/under/maintain depending on your goals

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

Yes. Animal proteins are higher in leucine and other branch chain amino acids which are required for muscle synthesis. They are also more bioavailable.

Not really, aside from units of protein relative to number of calories.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I'd never even heard of DOMS. Had to look it up. Never knew it was a thing but I sure do have it. LOL!!!! Oddly though only when I do leg press type workouts. Day after workout I'm fine. Days two and three after though I'm hurtin. Upper body workouts don't do it to me at all.
Same. Very rarely and very mild soreness in arms and shoulders. Instead, Lo bar squats = hamstring DOMS.

Why not just add high quality lean protein to your food?

Pasta is just carbs, that doesn't sound healthy for a 60+ year old man.
It’s not like we eat pesto every day. I just don’t eat meat every day and certainly not 3 times a day. It seems like to hit optimum numbers that’s what I’d have to do- meat 3x a day. My wife is from Italy and we eat a Mediterranean diet which is proven to be healthy and I’m certainly not complaining. I’ve just become aware that older folks need more protein (I’ve only recently become older :roflmao:happens to the best of us), so that’s why I’m looking to supplement. Also beef and fresh fish is expensive. Thanks Brandon! Maybe I need to explore bug powder?

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Yeah, I guess.

I've got chooks and catch plenty of fish.

So eggs and fish most days.

Chicken meat is relatively cheap.

Red meat is expensive so only eat once or twice a week.

Lack of protein in diet just doesn't seem like a problem that people in rich western countries have to deal with.

2 eggs for brekkie, slab of fish and salad for lunch, probs a bit of chicken (maybe a stir fry tonight) for dinner.

Eating a meal without a high quality protein source in it wold be weird to me.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yeah, I guess.

I've got chooks and catch plenty of fish.

So eggs and fish most days.

Chicken meat is relatively cheap.

Red meat is expensive so only eat once or twice a week.

Lack of protein in diet just doesn't seem like a problem that people in rich western countries have to deal with.

2 eggs for brekkie, slab of fish and salad for lunch, probs a bit of chicken (maybe a stir fry tonight) for dinner.

Eating a meal without a high quality protein source in it wold be weird to me.
Well, well. It sounds like somebody doesn't have a wife who tries to eat a "plant-based" diet! LOL. Good for you. Enjoy.
In the interest of not making 4 different dinners every night, we have just pasta (no meat) maybe 2x / week. Also, kids are picky, man.
Mornings, I'm lucky if I can grab one of the kids' piece of leftover toast on my way out the door. They drink whole milk, which blows up my stomach, so I don't even get to finish their leftover cereal. Most days, I just drink coffee all morning until I remember to eat something at like 1-2pm.

Reactions: freeride76

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Garden of Life Organic Sport is my go to post surf or gym. I also eat organic grass fed beef daily.

Reactions: grapedrink

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
There is research that after 40 years old you need to eat 40 grams of protein per serving to trigger protein synthesis.

When you are younger you will synthesize any amount of protien.