Pro surfers & beer: License to print money?

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
I drink at least a liter or two of Generic lime seltzer ever day (gets recycled by those hardy folk who troll the curbs on Recycling days. Seriously they can make hundreds per day. Every day, 5 days a week around Lb, and most cities). Favorite sparkling Water? Saratoga in those blue glass bottles. Fresh lime wedges. do I have a boner thinking about it? Nah.
Get a soda stream

AND

one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Cartridges-Adapter-Accessories-Connect-Machine/dp/B08F3GL43B/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=sodastream+adapter&qid=1614652545&sr=8-2

AND

buy a co2 tank from your local airgas supply store. We use a 20lb tank. Costs $40 to fill and lasts us about 2 years...

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Get a soda stream

AND

one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Cartridges-Adapter-Accessories-Connect-Machine/dp/B08F3GL43B/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=sodastream+adapter&qid=1614652545&sr=8-2

AND

buy a co2 tank from your local airgas supply store. We use a 20lb tank. Costs $40 to fill and lasts us about 2 years...
I'm gonna need a lesson about how to do this please....

I have a soda stream, kids love it, hate to goto bbb and get new cartridges when empty for $15 about monthly.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002

With incumbent brands no longer throwing the big money around, it seems like there's a bit of a template to follow to "diversify"for ageing pros. Mick Fanning and co cashes in on millions with full fat Balter, Taj Burrow does a low gluten beer, and now Jordy does an alcohol free one.

It seem to me that pros used to retire to sales rep jobs, but now craft beer (and probably soft tops need to be added to that list) is all the rage?

ps: that was just all a set-up for a joke I wanted to say about non-alcoholic beer ... in that it's the same as going down on your sister. It might taste the same, but it's just not right.
Sick joke, man!

I have a soda stream, kids love it, hate to goto bbb and get new cartridges when empty for $15 about monthly.
I went kinda in the middle
Bought an adapter on amazon that lets me use a paintball canister
search amazon Replacements for SodaStream CO2 Tank Paintball Canister Refill Adapter C02 Conversion - Polished Brass
Bought a paintball canister
It lasts way longer than the soda stream canister
I go to the paintball supply store to get both the original soda stream and paintball canister filled for like 12 dollars. Maybe less. I don’t really remember
Last time I went was 2 and a half months ago
I have 5 liter bottles for seltzer and on average go through about that much each day.

Paintball co2 might include contaminants as it’s not “beverage grade” and might cause medical problems like cancer, but it tastes the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBerry

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010

Simple as it sounds. I cant speak for that exact hose but if you look on amazon there are plenty to choose from.

This is the one I bought: https://www.banggood.com/60-Inch-SodaStream-Soda-Maker-Club-External-HoseAdapter-Kit-to-CGA320-CO2-Tank-Replacement-Accessories-p-1340947.html?utm_design=41&utm_source=emarsys&utm_medium=Neworder171109&utm_campaign=trigger-order&utm_content=winna&sc_src=email_2675773&sc_eh=9e153ad3096bb17d1&sc_llid=13503311&sc_lid=105229698&sc_uid=KblyJyAx3B&cur_warehouse=USA

You might want to find a tank on craigslist/offer up. From what I understand you do want to get the "food grade" co2. Going on 3 years with this setup.

Reactions: JBerry
May 24, 2020
I also really like to drink beer. I consider it a great way to relax after work and relieve stress, naturally, within reasonable limits. I agree that non-alcoholic beer does not make any sense. However, it does not differ in taste from alcoholic beer. I think that if you try non-alcoholic beer without knowing that it is non-alcoholic, it will be almost impossible to understand it. It's all in our heads.
Alcohol is already prevalent, but it is worth some stars to advertise this non-alcoholic beer. It will become more popular than alcohol. You can cut down a fortune on this. It's good when there is a brewery, and when there is not one, you have to download the best money making apps and thus earn money.

Last edited:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
The problem with Purps is that Kelly ain't a celebrity.

Maybe if he starts working the Jack Lalane look how healthy I am at this age/check out my workout a la Laird, he's not going to move the needle. hey'd be better off paying a few MMA fighters/IG coaches.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The problem with Purps is that Kelly ain't a celebrity.
That, and the fact that it's refrigerated beverage. Do you ever watch Shark Tank? They all avoid grocery businesses like the plague unless the idea seems like an intriguing niche that is already doing well. The fact that some of the most well-connected and powerful business people in the world dread having to pick up the phone to get these types of products on the shelf should tell you something.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
That, and the fact that it's refrigerated beverage. Do you ever watch Shark Tank? They all avoid grocery businesses like the plague unless the idea seems like an intriguing niche that is already doing well. The fact that some of the most well-connected and powerful business people in the world dread having to pick up the phone to get these types of products on the shelf should tell you something.

I don't watch shark tank.
I understand the refrigerated angle.
Does it need cold storage or just cold retail shelves.

Looks like they've ditched the bottled ones for slim cans (that's a competitive shelf space move).

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I don't watch shark tank.
I understand the refrigerated angle.
Does it need cold storage or just cold retail shelves.
I imagine that it is shelf stable. The problem is are you going to drop $25 (or whatever the price is) to have a case shipped to you of something you've never tasted? Maybe some will, but most won't. You at least need to be able to buy a single off the shelf to get most people interested, preferably refrigerated, at which point they might decide to order more. Plus the cost of shipping that has to be factored into the price, even if it's "Free" :roflmao:

Looks like they've ditched the bottled ones for slim cans (that's a competitive shelf space move).
Probably.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
You at least need to be able to buy a single off the shelf to get most people interested, preferably refrigerated, at which point they might decide to order more.

Yes, which brings us back to my original point.
It took a long time for Guayaki to get their product widely circulated, and it's a much simpler product (They also just hired a career Coke/Red Bull exec to run the company).

Purps hasn't committed to the marketing hard enough to move the needle and Kelly's current persona ain't moving much needle. Maybe they're just refining the product trying to keep costs low. I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Yes, which brings us back to my original point.
It took a long time for Guayaki to get their product widely circulated, and it's a much simpler product (They also just hired a career Coke/Red Bull exec to run the company).

Purps hasn't committed to the marketing hard enough to move the needle and Kelly's current persona ain't moving much needle. Maybe they're just refining the product trying to keep costs low. I don't really know what I'm talking about.
No, I think you are correct. Marketing is a huge expense for beverage companies, often more so than the cost of the product itself. It's about as competitive as it gets.