Pro surfers & beer: License to print money?

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018

With incumbent brands no longer throwing the big money around, it seems like there's a bit of a template to follow to "diversify"for ageing pros. Mick Fanning and co cashes in on millions with full fat Balter, Taj Burrow does a low gluten beer, and now Jordy does an alcohol free one.

It seem to me that pros used to retire to sales rep jobs, but now craft beer (and probably soft tops need to be added to that list) is all the rage?

ps: that was just all a set-up for a joke I wanted to say about non-alcoholic beer ... in that it's the same as going down on your sister. It might taste the same, but it's just not right.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I rarely but do occasionally enjoy an 0.0 Heineken. IMHO the only non alcoholic beer that has that same crisp refreshing taste as a regular bottle or can of cold Heineken. Got a few in the fridge

Reactions: grapedrink

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
These days, if you're a celeb or athlete, and you're not using your fame/contacts to get side business or entrepreneurship going, you're doing it wrong.

Jessica Alba
Jessica Simpson
Jennifer Anniston
Ashton Kutcher
George Clooney
Michael Jordan
John Elway
Tony Hawk

All heavy into the entrepreneur side of things and have become business tycoons.

Reactions: Waterlogged05

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Kelly is no dummy. He knows what these types of drink companies get acquired for. Eventually a large company like Pepsi or Coca-Cola will acquire purps for a ton of money.

PepsiCo bought RockStar Energy Drinks for 3.85b.
Coca-Cola bought Vitamin Water for 4.1b.
Coca-Cola bought Monster for 2.5b.

If I had to guess, I'd say Purps would sell between $5m and 20m.

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki

With incumbent brands no longer throwing the big money around, it seems like there's a bit of a template to follow to "diversify"for ageing pros. Mick Fanning and co cashes in on millions with full fat Balter, Taj Burrow does a low gluten beer, and now Jordy does an alcohol free one.

It seem to me that pros used to retire to sales rep jobs, but now craft beer (and probably soft tops need to be added to that list) is all the rage?

ps: that was just all a set-up for a joke I wanted to say about non-alcoholic beer ... in that it's the same as going down on your sister. It might taste the same, but it's just not right.
While I appreciate your attempt at a joke, that's just wrong! N/A beer doesn't taste anything like the real thing.