Pre-Work Surf in Winter - DONE

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
No such thing as pre-work dawn patrol for me. Besides, I have zero discipline when it comes to getting out of the water before wave-count satisfaction.

Hard to get kids out of bed for school when it is still dark but the bonus is that I can do a lot more outdoor stuff (basketball, going to park, etc.) with them after work with the extra daylight.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
So let me get this straight, you think that during the time of year (fall > winter) in the Northern Hemisphere that we are naturally getting about a minute less daylight each day, that we should continue turning the clocks back a full hour to exacerbate the darkness that much more?

Personally, I'd rather it stay light until 6-6:30pm in the winter. The summer stays the same as it is now. The hell with it suddenly being light in the early morning when we turn the clocks back in late Oct / early Nov.

Hawaii doesn't do it. Arizona doesn't do it. Why does California do it!?
Hawaii and Arizona are not on Daylight savings time. They are on standard time Which would support @jkb ’s argument not yours.

Reactions: littlewave and jkb

ajmojave

OTF status
Aug 26, 2018
California already passed some kind of law but for some reason I don't understand it is not in effect. isn't this a state not federal issue?

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
California already passed some kind of law but for some reason I don't understand it is not in effect. isn't this a state not federal issue?
it was a proposition that allowed the state legislature to implement permanent DST per their discretion. It wasn’t a law that was to go into effect post vote. It was confusing. Either on purpose or because people in govt are sometimes morans

Reactions: jkb

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Fed has to approve it. Then it will go to vote whether or not people want to keep it daylight savings (assuming it passes fed approval) or switch to year round standard time.

I'd hate to say it but we're pretty much outvoted by normal folk. My only hope is that someone finds another good reason why it shouldn't be dark until 8AM in the winter.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
are there any times in your day/life where you aren’t thinking about jacking off? Seems to go with a lot of activities for you. Also seems to be that you are more at peace with a piece in your hand. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
I think when my parents died within a 3 week period, I might have stopped for a few days.

As Paul Theroux says, "When I was young and in my prime I used to masturbate all the time, now that I am old and grey I only masturbate twice a day."

I typically do it once a day and then get on with my life.

I just like to joke about it here because it gets a rise out of some people.

Do you not jack off?

I know guys that say they don't but I call Bullshit.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
I think Carter did this in the 70s and it was a disaster.

Because kids were walking to school in the dark.

We never learn
why was carter masturbating twice a day in the 70's a disaster? seems more like a right on peanut farmer kind of vibe...bush and reagan for sure never touched the toucan but clinton...that guy was rubbing it off multiple times a day for sure.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I would be surprised if this passes. And if it does, expect a rate hike on your electric bill.

Getting dark earlier in the afternoon = more energy being used

Getting light later in the morning = less energy used, as a lot of people do not wake up until 8AM or later anyway.
They voted to keep it on the current time. Staying light later. Waking up in the dark.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
So let me get this straight, you think that during the time of year (fall > winter) in the Northern Hemisphere that we are naturally getting about a minute less daylight each day, that we should continue turning the clocks back a full hour to exacerbate the darkness that much more?

Personally, I'd rather it stay light until 6-6:30pm in the winter. The summer stays the same as it is now. The hell with it suddenly being light in the early morning when we turn the clocks back in late Oct / early Nov.

Hawaii doesn't do it. Arizona doesn't do it. Why does California do it!?
My main gripe is winter. Waiting until 8:00am before it's light is nonsense. Getting the kids up and ready for school in the dark sounds like an exercise in futility. I also don't mind it getting dark earlier.

Truth be told, I don't mind the time change back and forth, but if I had to choose one I'm going with standard time.