Possible move to Florida from CA

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
I moved to the Tampa/Clearwater area and don't regret it a bit. Im not at the level you're at financially (I work in healthcare accounting directly under thr CFO) but even with my modest salary, I'm able to live somewhat decently and support my family in Florida. In CA we'd be starving.

Yeah..... the waves suck. Yeah, it gets really hot. But the cost of living is minor compared to CA, the people are generally more hospitable, and there's plenty of activities to do outdoors. I love it. The goal is to eventually have enough income to take multiple surf trips to the Gulf side of Panama and Mainland Mex. Both are within reasonable striking distance. I think most people would kill to be in your position and I would take advantage of it. Just my two cents.

I'm early as

Reactions: INDTUBE

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
You work for another seven years, ring the register, and go to Nicaragua and afoaf and I are going to ringlead a kidnapping/ransom scheme and you'll be working another ten years, starting seven years and a week from now.

You'll be back in a shitbox in Bergen County and I'll be roosting blower pow in the Swiss Alps.
Wait- who are you going to kidnap for ransom?

My wife? I would be inconsolable for weeks I’m sure, but ultimately would save me millions in the long run. i have a full head of hair and am a man of means. I would be just fine as a bachelor with vacation properties in 3 countries. chicks seem to dig that stuff when they are hot smart single and 35

I don’t have kids.

Good luck with the nephews and niece. You’ll be paying my sister to take them back.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

My wife? I would be inconsolable for weeks I’m sure, but ultimately would save me millions in the long run. i have a full head of hair and am a man of means. I would be just fine as a bachelor with vacation properties in 3 countries. chicks seem to dig that stuff when they are hot smart single and 35

I don’t have kids.

Good luck with the nephews and niece. You’ll be paying my sister to take them back.
Not your wife. You. Numbnuts.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

I don’t have kids.

What Uncle Ogro said. Me making any remarks about Mrs. Subway is out of bounds!

Not your wife. You. Numbnuts.
now I’m really confused

i need to work off my ransom through servitude? Is that still a thing? Like the English Navy press gangs?
I mean I was just going to have them keep you locked up until the loot came correct but if you want to be chained to the bench/oars and row us to the fishing grounds that'll be fine just fine.

Reactions: Subway

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Let us just hope Mrs Subway never finds out how quickly Mr Subway was willing to move on when faced with her abduction. Tbh I kinda thought he’d go Taken on everyone’s asses smh.

If you all do kidnap him and turn him out as a no rules cabin boy my money is on this dude taking over as the new Mr Subway somehow

1672367038888.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I seem to have lost the narrative….how many months do I get to slave away in Clare, and how many on the beach in Iguana? And I assume I can stay in sales? That will allow me to generate the best returns on my bonded labor

someone else on another thread mentioned “ditch digger” (in fact the term was being bandied about over several pages of some train wreck or another) and I had to look it up. And I gotta be honest here bros, that is NOT in subways wheel house

however

“I don't know who you are, I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills…

oh and edit for real life for a second, I love my wife, out kicked my coverage when I scored her, I would leave no metaphorical stone unturned to secure her safe return

I even have kidnappers insurance on her for when we travel to Central America

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I moved to the Tampa/Clearwater area and don't regret it a bit. Im not at the level you're at financially (I work in healthcare accounting directly under thr CFO) but even with my modest salary, I'm able to live somewhat decently and support my family in Florida. In CA we'd be starving.

Yeah..... the waves suck. Yeah, it gets really hot. But the cost of living is minor compared to CA, the people are generally more hospitable, and there's plenty of activities to do outdoors. I love it. The goal is to eventually have enough income to take multiple surf trips to the Gulf side of Panama and Mainland Mex. Both are within reasonable striking distance. I think most people would kill to be in your position and I would take advantage of it. Just my two cents.

I'm early as
Heard this story so many times, people relocate to flat or inland places near some air hub or 2 hours from a beach... they try to rationalize it away "Oh it's in striking distance of (insert sick surf destination here). So sick! I'm going to do sick strike missions!"

It's a sort of justification fantasy.

The truth is they're not pro surfers, they're adults, with adult responsibilities, and chasing swell in that way is mostly something for people who surf for a living or are well connected (i.e. have a buddy living in said locale who picks you up from the airport and takes you to stay at his house so you don't have the hassle of real-life travel).

And when you get there and you haven't surfed a wave over knee high for 3-6 months, and that knee high wave only shows up once or twice a month, hopping in the water in pumping Puerto Escondido or competing with the crowd at some Central American point is :roflmao:

Surf travel is a bitch on a tight schedule, even worse when you get skunked, and when you strike out on those strike missions, and especially when you have a wife and kids demanding your time and energy and vacation days...this "plan" rarely works out.

Last edited:

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
Heard this story so many times, people relocate to flat or inland places near some air hub or 2 hours from a beach... they try to rationalize it away "Oh it's in striking distance of (insert sick surf destination here). So sick! I'm going to do sick strike missions!"

It's a sort of justification fantasy.

The truth is they're not pro surfers, they're adults, with adult responsibilities, and chasing swell in that way is mostly something for people who surf for a living or are well connected (i.e. have a buddy living in said locale who picks you up from the airport and takes you to stay at his house so you don't have the hassle of real-life travel).

And when you get there and you haven't surfed a wave over knee high for 3-6 months, and that knee high wave only shows up once or twice a month, hopping in the water in pumping Puerto Escondido or competing with the crowd at some Central American point is :roflmao:

Surf travel is a bitch on a tight schedule, even worse when you get skunked, and when you strike out on those strike missions, and especially when you have a wife and kids demanding you time and energy and vacation days...this "plan" rarely works out.

go all in or it is a pipe dream 99% of the time

blah blah blah :)

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Could a guy make a living, maybe catch a few waves by return driving U-Hauls to the ******, CA areas? Somebody's gotta do it, right? Nevermind.

Back in the 80's one of the magazines had a feature that completely, at least to a cold Mid-Atlantic kid, made St. Augustine look like a legitimate premiere EC surf option.

That's why I would be curious when it comes up but when I checked it out I was bummed, compared to other.

They said it was consistent I think.

Back then Miami was still just our cocaine colony. The fishing is

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Could a guy make a living, maybe catch a few waves by return driving U-Hauls to the ******, CA areas? Somebody's gotta do it, right? Nevermind.

Back in the 80's one of the magazines had a feature that completely, at least to a cold Mid-Atlantic kid, made St. Augustine look like a legitimate premiere EC surf option.

That's why I would be curious when it comes up but when I checked it out I was bummed, compared to other.

They said it was consistent I think.

Back then Miami was still just our cocaine colony. The fishing is
I think the spots/setups in St. Auggie were better back in the day, and there were fewer people around so the town's issues with growth were not what they are today.

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
Surf wise you're at the right age to do that. It doesn't have to be feral or even all that frugal. You have to decide that's what you want to do (surf) and do it. Then convince your wife. Or get divorced like I did. The question is always do you want to be there if you can't surf for whatever reason. Then what?
You just defined the battle in my head - not that many years left to play at my age - skated vert most of childhood so lots of old injuries that are now creeping up - Back and forth from CO to LA over the last 15 years (mainly winters/spring in CO) - I have not missed a good swell in all those years - if there are waves - I just load up the camper - surfing in the morning and work from my camper until the swell is gone - My house is equal distance to either San Clemente or Ventura/Rincon (about an 1 to 1.5 hours away) - lots of freedom to work when I want and where I want. I don't know if I can give it up. Admittedly, I have given up the potential to earn a much higher income over that time. I have been so lucky to be able to live this lifestyle - I live very simple and don't need much to make me happy. I guess I the question is: IS THIS THE TIME! am I done! - I had a great run and should I put my efforts into what I think could be a really fun project for the next 3-5 years and exit with real FU money to leave for my kid. Again, thanks for all the input.

Last edited:
Reactions: freeride76