Possible move to Florida from CA

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
OK so I have potential dream job in Florida - I love California and really don't want to move - who has made the move and how did it go? Flying down there this afternoon for Final round of interviews. thoughts....
Cut and pasted from another forum.

I lived in San Diego from 1963 to 2021 until Gavin Newsom finished me off. My predictions were correct;
things have only gotten worse. Given the insane cost of living, government in literally every facet of your life,
the bums and the illegals, the run down 1960's infrastructure, the insane taxes and the crime, perpetual drought,
California is a completely hopeless lost cause. The only option is saving yourself and your family and leaving. Sell your
stucco and chicken wire house for a fortune and get the heck out. A better quality of life is due East.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

I lived in San Diego from 1963 to 2021 until Gavin Newsom finished me off. My predictions were correct;
things have only gotten worse. Given the insane cost of living, government in literally every facet of your life,
the bums and the illegals, the run down 1960's infrastructure, the insane taxes and the crime, perpetual drought,
California is a completely hopeless lost cause. The only option is saving yourself and your family and leaving. Sell your
stucco and chicken wire house for a fortune and get the heck out. A better quality of life is due East.
Yuma?

You would have to move a loooong way due east from San Diego to find the same consistency and quality of surf (such that it is). If that is a consideration.

Reactions: menobrah

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019

I totally agree with you - California is becoming a shithole and many are fleeing (I was looking at renting a uhaul in LA and its like a month wait because there so many more people that are leaving as coming)- I live in echo park in a small 2 bed room house with bars on the windows - the epicenter of homelessness - drug use and crime but I love my neighbors - The old Jamaican couple across the street who brings over oxtail stew and jerk chicken - the 90 year old Chinese lady next store who speaks very little English but makes the best dumplings in the world for me - to the other side of me are a couple from El Salvador - I stay with their relatives when I go for surf trips there and while I am away they come stay at my place. We all watch out for each other - there is a guy who lives down the block who installed camera up and down the block and keeps everyone informed of what's going on - we cannot rely on the cops to show up so we have all banded together to check up on one another and keep the block safe. sh!t when a homeless dude lit my VW camper on fire - the Temple street gang member down the block - got his Boyz together and let just say that guy is not around to bother anyone anymore.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I’m doing it wrong. Say I have a million bucks if I liquidated. Could I live comfortably for the rest of my days in Indo? Say 50 years, two adults? Maybe a mistress to pop out a couple heirs?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I’m doing it wrong. Say I have a million bucks if I liquidated. Could I live comfortably for the rest of my days in Indo? Say 50 years, two adults? Maybe a mistress to pop out a couple heirs?
We've noticed. That's all? I thought you were a baller. I'd have close to double that if I liquidated. You're a disappointment.

You'd be bored to death.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
If I liquidated and became an expat we could live quite comfortably but both wifey and I have so much family and so many multi-decade friends that it would be really hard if not impossible to toss those relationships.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
We've noticed. That's all? I thought you were a baller. I'd have close to double that if I liquidated. You're a disappointment.

You'd be bored to death.
If I told the truth @afoaf would cancel me

Yes I’m not ready to just toss it in and go feral. Just curious

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
If I liquidated and became an expat we could live quite comfortably but both wifey and I have so much family and so many multi-decade friends that it would be really hard if not impossible to toss those relationships.
Pretty much the same would be true for you and most long time californianos if you/they moved to Florida.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

There's telling the truth and then there's calling the costume director from The Gilded Age and sporting a feather hat and a sunbrella while telling the truth.

Pretty much the same would be true for you and most long time californianos if you/they moved to North Florida or the interior.
Fixed. Other than places like Riviera Beach and Fort Pierce (bring your own kevlar) those days are done in South Florida and the Treasure Coast.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also not to put too fine of a point on it, but what the fuck is everyone's obsession with St. fucking Augustine? You can kill downtown in a 30 minute walk, get lunch, fuck off, never go back, and not miss it.

1. The traffic is a fucking nightmare. Even bypassing the Castle snafu, there's a fucking stoplight every three feet because St. Augustine people insist on making a left out of every single place possible, no matter how many lanes of traffic they must cross and how gridlocked it is, even if there's another light with a turning lane 30 yards away.
2. Even away from the Vilano Causeway/Castle/Bridge of Lions, where the traffic jam isn't as bad, there's a good population of people who go incredibly slow in the left lane everywhere they go, and a good population who go like 15+ over in 35 zones, like UCF kids in Orlando or sportbike owners in South Florida. In a town absolutely crawling with cops.
3. The surf ain't that hot. There's nowhere to hide from wind, and most all the spots have kind of a finicky mid-high tide window. There's a really fun wedgey/bowly spot, and getting to/from it, and everything else in St. Augustine, is a fucking nightmare.
4. It's affordable but it's also kind of a fucking dump.
5. A surprising amount of St. Augustine floods on a cloudy day or high tide with onshore winds.

Give me Duval or Flagler any day of the week.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

Surf wise you're at the right age to do that. It doesn't have to be feral or even all that frugal. You have to decide that's what you want to do (surf) and do it. Then convince your wife. Or get divorced like I did. The question is always do you want to be there if you can't surf for whatever reason. Then what?

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
Having lived up and down California and Florida - you’re in for a shock if you’re expecting variety like California.

sure, there are some options, but Florida is basically one long beachbreak. Palm beach County has probably the most variety, but also the worst parking situation and lots of “locals”

choose wisely

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
itd be silly to run TOO quickly from my peak earning years. I spend a lot, save some, but 7 more years in the game changes the math dramatically. LB house will in the home stretch of the mortgage, etc

then it’s nica and county Clare. We can always rent a place if we feel like visiting family or seeing other parts of the world

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
itd be silly to run TOO quickly from my peak earning years. I spend a lot, save some, but 7 more years in the game changes the math dramatically. LB house will in the home stretch of the mortgage, etc

then it’s nica and county Clare. We can always rent a place if we feel like visiting family or seeing other parts of the world
You work for another seven years, ring the register, and go to Nicaragua and afoaf and I are going to ringlead a kidnapping/ransom scheme and you'll be working another ten years, starting seven years and a week from now.

You'll be back in a shitbox in Bergen County and I'll be roosting blower pow in the Swiss Alps.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Valid point all. It was a thought exercise. I have grander plans in motion :foreheadslap:
Well if you own property in Ireland you could rent out one house while you live in the other and alternate years and be set! The key is to pay off your mortgage in NY and your house becomes an instant gold mine.

Reactions: Subway

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
I totally agree with you - California is becoming a shithole and many are fleeing (I was looking at renting a uhaul in LA and its like a month wait because there so many more people that are leaving as coming)- I live in echo park in a small 2 bed room house with bars on the windows - the epicenter of homelessness - drug use and crime but I love my neighbors - The old Jamaican couple across the street who brings over oxtail stew and jerk chicken - the 90 year old Chinese lady next store who speaks very little English but makes the best dumplings in the world for me - to the other side of me are a couple from El Salvador - I stay with their relatives when I go for surf trips there and while I am away they come stay at my place. We all watch out for each other - there is a guy who lives down the block who installed camera up and down the block and keeps everyone informed of what's going on - we cannot rely on the cops to show up so we have all banded together to check up on one another and keep the block safe. sh!t when a homeless dude lit my VW camper on fire - the Temple street gang member down the block - got his Boyz together and let just say that guy is not around to bother anyone anymore.
That is the making of a great movie!