Possible move to Florida from CA

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
OK so I have potential dream job in Florida - I love California and really don't want to move - who has made the move and how did it go? Flying down there this afternoon for Final round of interviews. thoughts....

Last edited:
Reactions: JDJ

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
OK so I have potential dream job in Florida - I love California and really don't want to move - who has made to move and how did it go? Flying down there this afternoon for Final round of interviews. thoughts....
Don't you live in a van?

For the most Florida is hot and humid and tropical.

Hell without air conditioning.

If your primary interests are fishing, boating, and drinking go for it.

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
Don't you live in a van?

For the most Florida is hot and humid and tropical.

Hell without air conditioning.

If your primary interests are fishing, boating, and drinking go for it.
Yeah - I do live in my camper a lot of the time (love the freedom) - sold my house in CO in August and still have my place in CA - Its a CFO role that pays $400k/year + substantial equity in a Tech start-up. Just don't know if I can give up my current lifestyle and freedoms - while the pay is great - I am most interested in building something from nothing into something great - I think I have 5 years more to give to something but moving to Florida scares me as much a Pascuales at 8-10 foot.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Yeah - I do live in my camper a lot of the time (love the freedom) - sold my house in CO in August and still have my place in CA - Its a CFO role that pays $400k/year + substantial equity in a Tech start-up. Just don't know if I can give up my current lifestyle and freedoms - while the pay is great - I am most interested in building something from nothing into something great - I think I have 5 years more to give to something but moving to Florida scares me as much a Pascuales at 8-10 foot.
Maybe you can fly in twice a month or something and stay in CA

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
Maybe you can fly in twice a month or something and stay in CA
It's full-time in Florida - I would need to move - it's a Start-up company with roadmap to going public in 18-24 months (something I have done many times over my career) - so remote working is not a possibility for the at least the first 2 years.

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
It's full-time in Florida - I would need to move - it's a Start-up company with roadmap to going public in 18-24 months (something I have done many times over my career) - so remote working is not a possibility for the at least the first 2 years.
Understandable.
What industry is the startup in, if you dont mind sharing

Reactions: INDTUBE

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
Understandable.
What industry is the startup in, if you dont mind sharing
the intersection of Media and Technology. I just cannot work for the big or mid-sized media Companies anymore. Big media is fucked with 20-30% layoffs expected in 2023. I could just keep doing consulting on side and surf a lot or commit to this. tough call

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
the intersection of Media and Technology. I just cannot work for the big or mid-sized media Companies anymore. Big media is fucked with 20-30% layoffs expected in 2023. I could just keep doing consulting on side and surf a lot or commit to this. tough call
Could be worth it if the company actually goes public in 18-24 months (and still has value after whatever lockup period).

Pretty hard for this message board to know how likely the above scenario is

Reactions: INDTUBE

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
What area of florida? I would fly out and check out the scene. Going from somewhere that has mountains to nothing but flat and swampy is a big change. Do you like boats and fishing ?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Florida is huge. Its not as big as California but the state is flat out huge. Where you're going to be stationed makes a huge difference in what your lifestyle will be. Tampa, Pensacola, Jacksonville, Miami and Orlando are all major hubs in the state and each one is vastly different than the others. Have to know where we are talking about.