Possible move to Florida from CA

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
Go for it. You can live really well on $400k/year in South Florida. Getting some equity in the company is also nice. The Miami area has good food, and there are so many places to travel to that are short flights away.

Reactions: need 4 speed

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Devils advocate.....consult and surf your brains out. We are of similar age I think and only getting older, make hay while the sun shines, fuck work, surf.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Quit surfing now, ask me how. Build up those air miles, you’ll need them. This advice is age dependent. Take it from someone that spent 15 years in Texas between age 25 and 40, then “retired”, which isn’t possible under today’s economic situation with even a good paying job. Two weeks of surfing someplace with real waves/year isn’t going to get you there. On the other hand the fishing in south Florida can be outstanding. Buy a boat and gear, that’ll fix ya.

Reactions: keenfish

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
tough call. That’s a fine living even in a relatively pricey Florida city. I‘m thinking you could have a lot of fun, make a bunch of money, sock some away (and spend a bunch) take lots of surf trips (none of this two weeks a year, you will want 4-6 trips of varying durations at least ,and you will be able to do that SO easily from MIA)

and if you score a couple of those random surreal overhead hollow south beach days, well, so much the better

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I mean who would want to leave Los Angeles and all that it has to offer?

Sounds like an interesting opportunity and nothing is permanent if it doesn’t work out. It’s not a prison sentence. You can alway quit and move back.

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
How old are you? At that salary you could grind and save heaps and then check ouf for a few years and surf and figure out whats next for you?

Not going to get these "surf years" back -
I just turned 56 - I have enough money now to live good and never work again - house in LA is paid off - just sold my house in CO for $750k w no debt on the property - my ex-wife basically kidnapped my kid and took him to CO to live with her new boyfriend so thats why I had 2 house for the last 15 years - he is off to College now at the university of Georgia) - I thought I was going to retire - do a few consulting gigs here and there and cruz around in my camper and surf. What I am finding is that the lest I have to do - the less I do. I need a purpose and this position could give me that purpose. I know it sounds stupid but I do not think I am ready to retire yet. really appreciate the advice here - its your classic mid life crisis. the grass is always greener

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
You have accomplished a lot and what you are describing is the same situation many of my highly accomplished friends are in - have the cash to split but cant get the over achieving brain to calm down

Fortunately I dont have that problem, but unfortuanelty I dont have your bank account :)

Was laughing about this dilemma with a hugely successful friend and he said i should be a life coach to people like him to teach them how to sit under a coconut tree and watch the world go by and be totally content

Just dont buy a convertible yellow mustang

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
20 years ago, i couldn't wait to retire... ffwd to today, nah.... just chapters of life.

go for broke! my 2 cents.

avoid budget carriers from MIA/FFL, or in general - made that mistake once and never again, three dudes in flops with white socks doin shots the whole flight and a woman with i think a live chicken in her bag mumbling the whole time. never. ever. again.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I just turned 56 - I have enough money now to live good and never work again - house in LA is paid off - just sold my house in CO for $750k w no debt on the property - my ex-wife basically kidnapped my kid and took him to CO to live with her new boyfriend so thats why I had 2 house for the last 15 years - he is off to College now at the university of Georgia) - I thought I was going to retire - do a few consulting gigs here and there and cruz around in my camper and surf. What I am finding is that the lest I have to do - the less I do. I need a purpose and this position could give me that purpose. I know it sounds stupid but I do not think I am ready to retire yet. really appreciate the advice here - its your classic mid life crisis. the grass is always greener
Doesn't sound like a negative overachiever issue to me, just that you have a strong work ethic, lots of ideas, and a desire to do/create. Sounds like you could do with this challenge, and you'd be close to your son too. (Full marks, btw, for the CO house effort.)

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
You have accomplished a lot and what you are describing is the same situation many of my highly accomplished friends are in - have the cash to split but cant get the over achieving brain to calm down

Fortunately I dont have that problem, but unfortuanelty I dont have your bank account :)

Was laughing about this dilemma with a hugely successful friend and he said i should be a life coach to people like him to teach them how to sit under a coconut tree and watch the world go by and be totally content

Just dont buy a convertible yellow mustang
I had this dilemma before you knew what a dilemma is, although you’ve done it in a more admirable fashion.

I did it at 40, but arguably not in waves of more than occasional consequence like you have.

There’s a huge difference between 40 and 56 even if you’ve been surfing good waves on the regular. Find something comfortable for now and move on.

Florida? GTFO. En quinto velocidad.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Move to Florida. Take up foiling and wing foiling. You will wonder why you ever sat in crowded LA lineups. (this is a serious answer btw)

For a little bit more context to the post. This podcast follows a guys journey of learning to foil. He lived in Costa Rica and surfed empty waves all time. He had to move to Florida for real life issues. He's happier foiling in Florida than ever and doesn't even care to travel to find waves. Foiling will seriously change your outlook on surfing.

Last edited:

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com

I have thought long and hard about this same senario.

I'm in the same boat so I'm just going to keep working as long as I can find a way to keep it fun. It hasn't been much fun lately so I need to remedy that.

On to the concept of retirement..

I have decided (for me anyway) that you have to make it like a job.

You can't wake up and wonder what you will do that day.. you have to already know what you are going to do that day and have a plan on what you are going to do.

Otherwise you are just sitting on the sidelines with no purpose and that's not fun.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
My brother moved to FL, he stays inside the house much of the day from May - Sept., but winters are nice, almost like coastal San Diego in the summer. He also said his IQ relative to the rest of the population is a lot higher than it was in SD. I went to visit, a lot of big pickups with "Let's Go Brandon" stickers. This is south of Melbourne.